Should I take anti-depressants - clinical depression not getting better?

Watch
cookieesxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have been diagnosed with clinical depression before by a GP. I've been suffering from it for about almost 2 years. It's pretty much ruined my teenage life and academics. I'm getting therapy and counselling but I still feel depressed daily, only exacerbated by school stress. Dancing helps sometimes, but I just really want it to leave me alone for good.

The GP suggested anti-depressants but I said no as I feared becoming dependent on them and ending up addicted. Now I feel like there is no other choice, because I'm desperate for this depression to go away and anti-depressants seem to really help some people. Should I start taking them and can they really eradicate depression?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chihiro95
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it's quite rare for someone to become completely dependent on anti-depressants. It's quite common for symptoms to become exacerbated by the drugs so they don't suit everyone. I'd try it if I were you and if they don't help stop with your doctor's advice. I'd also look into self-help as the only thing you can do with this type of depression is cope with it until it disappears. It's good that you're still dancing as leading an active lifestyle is so important and actually can alleviate depression for a short while. I hope things improve for you very soon. Depression is a rubbish thing to have to deal with.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Antidepressants aren't addictive. :nah: You might get withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking them suddenly, but there's no 'addiction' like with cannabis or heroin say.

They can be really useful to some people - I wouldn't be here today without them, but there are a lot of bad sides to them too. You can get many side-effects from them, including sexual ones, nausea, headaches, insomnia, increased thoughts of self-harm/suicide (I know right? :lol:)... and it can take a few trial and errors to get one that actually helps you.

Having said that, they really can turn your life around. I went from having zero energy, suicidal thoughts, complete lack of interest in life and having to be hospitalised for some time to feeling absolutely great, completely back to normal and generally feeling fantastic, all because of one med change. Most people don't see such dramatic changes, and for most people it takes fewer trials of different meds (I tried at least 9 or 10 before hitting on the magic combo), but my story isn't unique.

It's great that you're in therapy currently, and that some of your hobbies help too. Hopefully if you do try antidepressants they either will make you feel a lot better or will give you the energy to keep trying other methods of recovery.
Dust94
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you don't think therapy/counselling is helping, why not try something else as well to see if you can get better. Just remember that some medication can make you feel worse when you start. Hope you feel better soon
username47781
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Moved to Mental Health
Meaty_man
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cookieesxo)
I have been diagnosed with clinical depression before by a GP. I've been suffering from it for about almost 2 years. It's pretty much ruined my teenage life and academics. I'm getting therapy and counselling but I still feel depressed daily, only exacerbated by school stress. Dancing helps sometimes, but I just really want it to leave me alone for good.

The GP suggested anti-depressants but I said no as I feared becoming dependent on them and ending up addicted. Now I feel like there is no other choice, because I'm desperate for this depression to go away and anti-depressants seem to really help some people. Should I start taking them and can they really eradicate depression?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to say good on you for doing something so soon, i left it a lot longer before i started to do anything about my health. Something like dancing is really good for relieving stress, so keep that up!

The anti-depressants they will put you on will most likely not be addictive, in fact the newer drugs are often not as potent as the old stuff, so side effects aren't too bad but it still makes a difference. Yes, they do make a difference, some work and some don't, but that varies from person to person. The only way you can find out what works for you is trying it.

The stress and other stuff you are feeling is a result of some chemical imbalances, the drugs they give you can help fix or get around those problems. So don't feel bad for taking them, you shouldn't. As amazing as human beings are, we often have a few kinks we need to work out :hugs:
Nathanielle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Should I start taking them and can they really eradicate depression?
They don't eradicate it magically, they give you the energy to cope and the most common would be to talk them either six month or two years and then go on without them, because you improved so much due to therapy in that time, that your brain can handle it alone. But some people simply need them their whole life. (So, yes and no. )

(Original post by Dust94)
If you don't think therapy/counselling is helping, why not try something else as well to see if you can get better.
Anti-Depressants without any therapy alongside are often totally useless or won't make you able to get your own independant life back (with alle highs and lows), the number of people who need the anti-depressant constantly is rather low compared to the total group and they are often there to help the people to take action. And the people who need them constantly will allways have done a whole therapy, not counting those who refuse therapy or simply got never the opportunity to do one. Thus anti-depressants are not an alternative, they just enhance your possibilities.
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Antidepressants are not addictive. Many people find them very beneficial, in particular in combination with CBT or other form of psychotherapy. I would encourage you to go back to your GP and talk through your concerns with them.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm on antidepressants and like superwolf said it took me a long time too to find the one which had the best effect. Now I'd say I'm not depressed at all, I'm happy and getting on with life and I'm really glad that I took antidepressants - they made a huge difference. As has been said, antidepressants aren't addictive, you don't crave higher doses and yes there are discontinuation symptoms sometimes but these usually are mild and I'd take them over depression any day. I'd suggest talking things over with your doctor or therapist and see if they can reassure you.
cookieesxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you so much to all who answered. It means so much so thank you most kindly

A really random and crazy thought just popped into my head but for some odd reason I'm actually considering it. I remembered that the time I'm at my happiest is when I've been in Jamaica. I am originally from there but have been living here since I was a baby. I'm not saying I dislike the UK, not at all. The education system here is great and there are many positives to this country.

I'm thinking of going there to study at uni possibly and then live there permanently. I already have citizenship since I was born there. My parents will probably be a bit resistant at first but I don't know, it's been popping in and out of my mind for a while & I'm thinking of whether I should actually go ahead and do it. Of course the uni's here are better, but I'm so happy whenever I'm there. So happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thank you so much to all who answered. It means so much so thank you most kindly

A really random and crazy thought just popped into my head but for some odd reason I'm actually considering it. I remembered that the time I'm at my happiest is when I've been in Jamaica. I am originally from there but have been living here since I was a baby. I'm not saying I dislike the UK, not at all. The education system here is great and there are many positives to this country.

I'm thinking of going there to study at uni possibly and then live there permanently. I already have citizenship since I was born there. My parents will probably be a bit resistant at first but I don't know, it's been popping in and out of my mind for a while & I'm thinking of whether I should actually go ahead and do it. Of course the uni's here are better, but I'm so happy whenever I'm there. So happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds good. I've found that moving somewhere new often helps with my depression, and if you already know what makes you happy then great!

The only thing I'd say is beware of the depression creeping back at some point - it can't hurt to have an action plan in case that happens (if you don't know it might be worth asking around about the Jamaican approach to mental health issues in case it's not so good [not that the UK is anything to boast about!]).

Good luck with whatever you decide!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
27.45%
No (74)
72.55%

Watched Threads