The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham or sheffield university

mention the pros and cons of each one. I don't know what to choose as my firm.
Reply 1
What do you want to study?

What do you want out of a uni? Rankings?

What kind of a location do you want. Nottingham is a campus uni just outside of city. Sheffield is more or less more spread out in the city.

Rankings wise they are more or less the same, Nottingham might be slightly higher, but then again, it depends on the departments, although Sheffield has more history.

With universities like those, rankings shouldn't matter too much, they are close to each other in the tables, and they more or less come close to another another as every year passes. (speaking of international tables, THE QS ARWU) I don't tend to follow domestic tables too much.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I don't think I've seen a single university table worth the paper it's written on.

Nottingham scores highly in UK league tables and within the top 75 universities in the world. Sheffield also scores highly in UK league tables and within the top 75 universities in the world.

The difference between a few positions is both negligible and based on arbitrary factors, as is regularly pointed out by this maths professor from Manchester (which does very well in league tables): http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/2009/.

There are plenty of reasons I'd recommend Nottingham, but I would never recommend making university choices based on league tables :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending