aishnaehh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
matter and antimatter in particle physics?
Schrodingersfrog
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What about it?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by aishnaehh)
The art of physics is knowing the right questions to ask.
RunningScotsman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes.
Anything else?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you talk about atomic physics? matter means that all kinds of it consists of particles, called atoms. All kinds of matters have millions or even billions of them. Antimatter should be consists of positron which are called antielectrons too. Moreover it is stated that antimatter also consists of antiprotons...
Schrodingersfrog
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Strings and anti-strings anyone?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Schrodingersfrog)
Strings and anti-strings anyone?
Do you mean the theory which explain the structure of the world by stringed-like one-dimensional objects? I have heard about them, but no more.
RoyalBlue7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
In particle physics, antimatter is material composed of antiparticles, which have the same mass as particles of ordinary matter but have opposite charge and other particle properties such as lepton and baryon number. Encounters between particles and antiparticles lead to the annihilation of both, giving rise to varying proportions of high-energy photons (gamma rays), neutrinos, and lower-mass particle–antiparticle pairs. Setting aside the mass of any product neutrinos, which represent released energy which generally continues to be unavailable, the end result of annihilation is a release of energy available to do work, proportional to the total matter and antimatter mass, in accord with the mass-energy equivalence equation, E=mc2.
Antiparticles bind with each other to form antimatter just as ordinary particles bind to form normal matter. For example, a positron (the antiparticle of the electron) and an antiproton can form an antihydrogen atom. Physical principles indicate that complex antimatter atomic nuclei are possible, as well as anti-atoms corresponding to the known chemical elements. To date, however, anti-atoms more complex than antihelium have neither been artificially produced nor observed in nature. Studies of cosmic rays have identified both positrons and antiprotons, presumably produced by high-energy collisions between particles of ordinary matter.
There is considerable speculation as to why the observable universe is apparently composed almost entirely of ordinary matter, as opposed to a more symmetric combination of matter and antimatter. This asymmetry of matter and antimatter in the visible universe is one of the greatest unsolved problems in physics. The process by which this asymmetry between particles and antiparticles developed is called baryogenesis.
Antimatter in the form of anti-atoms is one of the most difficult materials to produce. Antimatter in the form of individual anti-particles, however, is commonly produced by particle accelerators and in some types of radioactive decay.

Source : YouKnowWhere
Schrodingersfrog
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Do you mean the theory which explain the structure of the world by stringed-like one-dimensional objects? I have heard about them, but no more.
Quite so. Not just this world but the universe and the multiverse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.51%

Watched Threads