The Student Room Group

long division help

How do I do

2x24x1x(x1)\frac{2x^2 - 4x -1}{x(x-1)}

I know I do long division but I can't do it with this one? And I also know we expand out the bottom brackets! Whats the catch with this question?

many thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Mr Tall
How do I do

2x24x1x(x1)\frac{2x^2 - 4x -1}{x(x-1)}

I know I do long division but I can't do it with this one? And I also know we expand out the bottom brackets! Whats the catch with this question?

many thanks!

I am not sure what you are asking

You can do long division with the expanded denominator

Or you could do partial fractions
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
I am not sure what you are asking

You can do long division with the expanded denominator

Or you could do partial fractions

is this a difficult division question for C3 if you were to do it by long division?

I would show my working out but I can't on this.. but basically I can't do the long division for it

would it be easier to do by partial fractions?
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Tall
is this a difficult division question for C3 if you were to do it by long division?

I would show my working out but I can't on this.. but basically I can't do the long division for it

would it be easier to do by partial fractions?

I would use partial fractions as a personal preference but the long division is very straightforward
Reply 4
I would use partial fractions as a personal preference but the long division is very straightforward

eugghhh :frown: I'm making a silly error some where then in my long division but I can't figure it out!! :frown: I can't even post a picture on here of my workings as my phone got stolen!
Reply 5

do I not have to divide as I have an X^2 term on both the numerator and denominator ?
Reply 6
Original post by Mr Tall
do I not have to divide as I have an X^2 term on both the numerator and denominator ?

no, why would that mean that you have to divide

2x24x1x2x=2+Ax+Bx1\dfrac{2x^2-4x-1}{x^2-x} = 2 + \dfrac{A}{x} + \dfrac{B}{x-1}
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7

whats going on here:

2x2+5(x4)(x+2)=2x2+5x22x+8\frac{2x^2+5}{(x-4)(x+2)} = \frac{2x^2 +5}{x^2 -2x + 8}

2(x22x8)+4x+21x22x8 \frac{2(x^2 -2x -8) + 4x + 21}{x^2 -2x -8}

2+4x+21x22x8 2 + \frac{4x+21}{x^2 - 2x - 8}
Reply 8
Original post by Mr Tall
whats going on here:

2x2+5(x4)(x+2)=2x2+5x22x+8\frac{2x^2+5}{(x-4)(x+2)} = \frac{2x^2 +5}{x^2 -2x + 8}

2(x22x8)+4x+21x22x8 \frac{2(x^2 -2x -8) + 4x + 21}{x^2 -2x -8}

2+4x+21x22x8 2 + \frac{4x+21}{x^2 - 2x - 8}

That is a method of doing long division where you just adjust the numerator
Reply 9
2x24x1x(x1)\frac{2x^2 - 4x -1}{x(x-1)} write as partial fractions

ok so I do 2(x2x)2x1x2x\frac{2(x^2-x)-2x-1}{x^2-x} to get 22x1x2x2-\frac{2x-1}{x^2-x}

then I get A(X-1) + BX= 2X^2 -4X -1 then when I solve i get B=-3 and A=5

giving me 2-\frac{5}{x}-\frac{3}{x+1}

which is wrong according to my text book! What have a done wrong? thanks
Reply 10

ok so I do 2(x2x)2x1x2x\frac{2(x^2-x)-2x-1}{x^2-x} to get 22x1x2x2-\frac{2x-1}{x^2-x}

giving me 25x3x+1 2-\frac{5}{x}-\frac{3}{x+1}

Original post by Mr Tall

giving me 2-\frac{5}{x}-\frac{3}{x+1}

It should be 2x+1 as the numerator of your fraction once you have divided.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M
It should be 2x+1 as the numerator of your fraction once you have divided.

how?
Original post by Mr Tall
how?

How? Subtraction of a negative number ...
Reply 14
Original post by Mr M
How? Subtraction of a negative number ...

oh, silly me! :colondollar: thanks :smile:
x^3 + 3x^2 -3x -11 divided by x^2 + 3x -4... i can't do this! When I do the long division for it!! i cant even post my working because I dont have a camera.... is there a trick in that division question?? Im really stuck! PLease help my mock is in 2 days and I'm going to fail :frown:
Original post by Mr Tall
x^3 + 3x^2 -3x -11 divided by x^2 + 3x -4... i can't do this! When I do the long division for it!! i cant even post my working because I dont have a camera.... is there a trick in that division question?? Im really stuck! PLease help my mock is in 2 days and I'm going to fail :frown:

Why don't you use the method you tried before?

x(x2+3x4)+Ax+B=x3+3x23x11x(x^2+3x-4)+Ax+B=x^3+3x^2-3x-11
Reply 16
Original post by Mr M
Why don't you use the method you tried before?

x(x2+3x4)+Ax+B=x3+3x23x11x(x^2+3x-4)+Ax+B=x^3+3x^2-3x-11

I can do it by that method, but I can't do it by the long division method! It's really frustrating I just want to be able to do it by long division... Is there a catch in it somewhere that I'm missing?
Reply 17
Original post by Mr Tall

image.jpg
Original post by Mr Tall
I can do it by that method, but I can't do it by the long division method! It's really frustrating I just want to be able to do it by long division... Is there a catch in it somewhere that I'm missing?

I don't know what you mean by the 'long division method'. All methods are effectively the same thing. Show your working if you want us to point out where you are going wrong.

You say you don't have a camera on your phone (unusual to meet someone more stuck in the past than me). Scrawl it in Paint or some other program instead.
Reply 19
Original post by krisshP
image.jpg

thank you sooooooooo much!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest