The Student Room Group

Do you think that 'The Little Mermaid' is a feminist film?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Don't spoil my chilhood :P. Ariel was one of my favourite princesses
Reply 21
The book is definitely not :tongue: doesn't she end up killing herself because the prince falls in love with a girl who can talk? Or did I just have a really messed up version as a kid?
Original post by redferry
I just think she was still pretty badass, what's wrong both bagging a fitty while you're at it???

Did you read the link I posted? :ahee:

The person writing it makes a few of the following points about it:

- Mulan doesn't actually do anything for herself and exists within the drama simply to say to the other male characters to act. I mean think of the scene where she beats the villain; She has a sword for gods sake, and still needs Mushu in all his phallic glory to handle it for her.

- Then the seemingly random and pointless (albeit comical) dressing up of the men in make up - Mulan can't be one of them so they can make her equal only by lowering themselves. I mean all they really do is put make up on to then start a fight anyway.

- It's mainly in comparison to the original work that Disney bastardised, which originally ends on the note;

For the male hare has a lilting, lolloping gait,
And the female hare has a wild and roving eye;
But set them both scampering side by side
And who so wise could tell you “This is he”?

Whereas Mulan ends on:

There's more to say on it really, but it's very distinctly anti feminist. I still think it's an absolutely brilliant film, and the original poem is perhaps one of the greatest pieces of literature of all time.
The thread title actually made me burst out laughing :lol:
Reply 24
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Did you read the link I posted? :ahee:

The person writing it makes a few of the following points about it:

- Mulan doesn't actually do anything for herself and exists within the drama simply to say to the other male characters to act. I mean think of the scene where she beats the villain; She has a sword for gods sake, and still needs Mushu in all his phallic glory to handle it for her.

- Then the seemingly random and pointless (albeit comical) dressing up of the men in make up - Mulan can't be one of them so they can make her equal only by lowering themselves. I mean all they really do is put make up on to then start a fight anyway.

- It's mainly in comparison to the original work that Disney bastardised, which originally ends on the note;

Whereas Mulan ends on:

There's more to say on it really, but it's very distinctly anti feminist. I still think it's an absolutely brilliant film, and the original poem is perhaps one of the greatest pieces of literature of all time.

But as a young girl you don't take that from it, you get this badass woman is fighting some huns, awesome. So basically if there were an anti feminist message it failed.

When I was really little my favourite was Ariel because she talks to fish. But I ditched her when I realised what a pussy she was.

I related a lot to nala as I was forever watching Attenborough as a child and understood it was not in the female lions interest to overthrow scar, but thought she was cool because she could pin simba. It messed me up a bit that they were siblings though.
Reply 25
Is this a cartoon...?
Reply 26
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Is this a cartoon...?

A cartoon film, yes
Original post by redferry
But as a young girl you don't take that from it, you get this badass woman is fighting some huns, awesome. So basically if there were an anti feminist message it failed.

When I was really little my favourite was Ariel because she talks to fish. But I ditched her when I realised what a pussy she was.

I related a lot to nala as I was forever watching Attenborough as a child and understood it was not in the female lions interest to overthrow scar, but thought she was cool because she could pin simba. It messed me up a bit that they were siblings though.

That's the distinction: There isn't an anti feminist message. I didn't really explain it well enough in my earlier posts it seems. It is a passive permeation of social norms, Disney aren't the bad guys saying 'Lets get women back in the kitchen', they just adhere to a market that rewards anti feminist slurs.

That said, it's not like girls have to understand it to absorb some of the inculcated message. A little girl watching sleeping beauty won't know that she's watching domestic abuse, sure, but when she's older and thinks back to her formative outlook on the world she'll be more patient with her beast of a partner because her formative experiences tell her that there's a positive outcome at the end of the dark tunnel.

I love the lion king :h:
Reply 28
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
That's the distinction: There isn't an anti feminist message. I didn't really explain it well enough in my earlier posts it seems. It is a passive permeation of social norms, Disney aren't the bad guys saying 'Lets get women back in the kitchen', they just adhere to a market that rewards anti feminist slurs.

That said, it's not like girls have to understand it to absorb some of the inculcated message. A little girl watching sleeping beauty won't know that she's watching domestic abuse, sure, but when she's older and thinks back to her formative outlook on the world she'll be more patient with her beast of a partner because her formative experiences tell her that there's a positive outcome at the end of the dark tunnel.

I love the lion king :h:

I always hated sleeping beauty and all that overtly princess stuff. Animal Disney for the win.

:eek: incest lover!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending