The Student Room Group

is a gun the weapon of the wimp?

Just meandering..

Almost every promo for almost every American film and TV show involves someone posing with a gun. People seem to equate this with bravery or hardness or masculinity.

But what is a gun? It is a machine, what is a trigger? it is a button.

So the act of firing a gun involves pressing a button to operate a machine.

So (excluding war or defense) surely it is the wimps choice of weapon?

Could explain the popularity of such shows as Doctor Who and Shurlock, since they rely (mostly) on intellect and wit to out maneuver their opponents.

Scroll to see replies

What are you talking about? Doctor Who has a sonic piledriver--not a phallic symbol at all :giggle:
Yes, the gun is the weapon of the wimp. Also, the length of the barrel is inversely proportional to the length of the owner's penis.
Pssh tell that to Clint Eastwood

I dare ya

I ****ing double triple dare ya

Yes blud, shanks only out ere roodboy, yagetme???
Surely though it a smart mans weapon (to an extent). The further you are away from your enemy, the less danger there is. It's the whole "bringing a knife to a gunfight" thing. You may be braver but far more stupid because the odds are against you if you use a knife..
Reply 6
So would beheading people with a machete seem more masculine to you?
Reply 7
The gun itself isn't a wimpish weapon, it's the method in which it is used for.

If there was a dispute between two people, a gun would simply be an irrational choice if the dispute wasn't life threatening (I cannot think of a life-threatening example though). A gun does give the user a sense of power, considering that it only takes one well-placed bullet to kill someone.

I suppose when used to strengthen your own point, or to persuade others to your demands, yes it is a cowardly choice, albeit an effective one.

[[I'm not too sure how your definition of a gun helps towards the discussion though? Yes a gun is a machine operated by a button, but so is a blender? A car is a bigger machine with more buttons, would that make it more cowardly?]]
Could I ask why? I suppose if you were both using the same weapon then gun could be lazy. I agree with Napoleon when he said "God is on the side with those with the largest artillery." If your weapon is more advance or your opponent is physically superior then you would be stupid not to use it if you were attacked.

Not that I support violence in any form except in self defense.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by StarvingAutist
Yes, the gun is the weapon of the wimp. Also, the length of the barrel is inversely proportional to the length of the owner's penis.

I love this quote. :biggrin: If someone says that a gun is a phallic symbol, I'm gonna steal that quote, and remember you with respect. :smile: I'm sure my Literature teacher would love that! LOL
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
The gun itself isn't a wimpish weapon, it's the method in which it is used for.

If there was a dispute between two people, a gun would simply be an irrational choice if the dispute wasn't life threatening (I cannot think of a life-threatening example though). A gun does give the user a sense of power, considering that it only takes one well-placed bullet to kill someone.

I suppose when used to strengthen your own point, or to persuade others to your demands, yes it is a cowardly choice, albeit an effective one.

[[I'm not too sure how your definition of a gun helps towards the discussion though? Yes a gun is a machine operated by a button, but so is a blender? A car is a bigger machine with more buttons, would that make it more cowardly?]]

I totally agree here. The gun is not "wimpish", the method and reason is wimpish. If a psychopath with a meatcleaver and machine gun went to attack you, fair enough. But to shoot someone to end a heated arguement or steal a boy/girlfriend or something? That's "wimpish" to me. :smile:
Original post by Rainbow Student
I love this quote. :biggrin: If someone says that a gun is a phallic symbol, I'm gonna steal that quote, and remember you with respect. :smile: I'm sure my Literature teacher would love that! LOL

Haha have fun :wink:
Original post by EasyReppin

Testified. :smile:

(just casually scrolls through random topics)
Original post by StarvingAutist
Haha have fun :wink:

Yeah, sure. :wink: That would be an interesting thing to see. :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by starvingautist
yes, the gun is the weapon of the wimp. Also, the length of the barrel is inversely proportional to the length of the owner's penis.

noisy-cricket.jpg

oh.
Reply 15
Original post by EasyReppin

I think it's more a question of braveness vs cowardice as opposed to what's deemed manly :/
Reply 16
Depends what scale you're considering. Maybe in one-to-one combat, the gun is the weapon of the wimp.

But if you're in a country that has been put to war against another country, voting for a president who will drop a nuclear bomb on the rival country is probably more cowardly than voting for a president who will conscript you into the war as a footsoldier with a gun.
Original post by yo radical one
Pssh tell that to Clint Eastwood

I dare ya

I ****ing double triple dare ya

Lol I was going to say this!
The weapon of a man is a bloody big axe
No.

[video="youtube;IaJwgHYOaQk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJwgHYOaQk[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest