Marvin1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello people, i am in my first year of the I.B. diploma program and, as most of you know, i have to take on the extended essay. i was wondering what you think of "The Evolution of the English Language" as a topic...you know, all the way from the anglo-saxons and how we got to speaking the english that we do now. Thoughts??
Foreverneek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing an unofficial extend essay as an extra-curricular activity as I do A-levels: it's not going to be marked.My topic is the expression of heroism in Anglo-saxon literature (Beowulf and The Battle of Maldon). The word limit I've been given is 5000 words. It seems like a high word limit but talking about the evolution of language through Anglo-Saxon literature, Chaucer, Shakespeare etc is a bit too broad. Exploring language between Chaucer and Shakespeare is an entire essay topic in itself, as is modern language and the origins of the slang we use today. I'd day focus on specific writers/language in particular periods. Your title is too broad so you won't be able to explore anything in any depth. Good luck!
Marvin1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Foreverneek)
I'm doing an unofficial extend essay as an extra-curricular activity as I do A-levels: it's not going to be marked.My topic is the expression of heroism in Anglo-saxon literature (Beowulf and The Battle of Maldon). The word limit I've been given is 5000 words. It seems like a high word limit but talking about the evolution of language through Anglo-Saxon literature, Chaucer, Shakespeare etc is a bit too broad. Exploring language between Chaucer and Shakespeare is an entire essay topic in itself, as is modern language and the origins of the slang we use today. I'd day focus on specific writers/language in particular periods. Your title is too broad so you won't be able to explore anything in any depth. Good luck!
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads