The Student Room Group

Why do people think that THEY have great taste in music?

I always wondered why people think that they are unique when it comes to music. Look around yourself, look at yourself, read the music section. Always you find people saying to each other ":clap2: great taste you have" or "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW GREAT THEY ARE".

Always telling and wishing that more people should understand and know these musicians. And trying to explain how awesome and delightful they are.

If you are a bit older than 15, you will see that pop culture is dominating and was always dominating. Every decade or year some people claiming that this is the best music ever or even more than that, when years past, they tell never ever music will be such good like in the "xx's" (<--- insert a decade you want like 70's, 90's or whatever).

I can not even tell how many groups and musicians were in the last decade. Do you still listen to Eminem or 50 CENT?
Still a fan of Britney Spears? As time goes by they get replaced by other musicians. Always was.
It does not matter almost which genre, 95% belong to pop culture.

Do you think your genre is special? RnB? Metal? Electronic (a time it was called Techno)?

Most of you listen to the same crap every single year again and again. Musicians change but the quality remains same.
People who can not hold notes, can't even read music sheet.
People who need computers and programs to sound a little bit good.
People who can not play an instrument but call themselves "producers".
Or people who play the damn same basic guitar riff again and again and people fall in love with them.
Always same beats, time periods, same instruments.

But it is more about the "culture" around it. Like going to concerts, banging heads or screaming to Justin Timberlake or Adele or whatever.

Talentless people but they fill in a leak. There is a niche and that is all about.
It is always about ENTERTAINING.

Like you must be sexy, be naked, be a good entertainer, make some dance moves, talk about forbidden things, be a naughty boy, more stupid things you say more you will attract people. Or like the metal people make a culture around your music.

I want to understand where this great taste some of you have is.

Or for UK see this.

You see?
There is nothing special about you or your taste if you do not belong to the last group of genres but I guess not.
Of course there are thousand of musicians and every human being is a bit different, that means the probability that 2 people have same taste in music is near 0. But it is for ALL of us.
But to find some common things it is really easy except you really just belong to the last group of genres.

So that means your taste is not special and thouse music you listen to is mostly crap.
I gave in another thread simple criteria for everyone to look for:
Lyrics, voice, composition and virtuosity

Lyrics? You are the nation of Shakespeare. And all people who have a little bit clue about poetry or great writers, you will see that the most lyrics in music business are crap. Like they wrote them down in 5 minutes after a shower and having, if they have, always same rhymes and stupid sentences like from a 5 year old child.

Voices? Compare their records with their concerts. You will see how crap they are. Most of them can't even sing. And if they can sing, which is rare, then their voice is low. Like little tone range, can't hold for long tones, can not sing loud, and so on. Did I mention software to make your voice sound well?

Composition? This needs a bit technical information.
But if there are musicians around here, they will tell you how they use simple riffs and melodic compononents.
Like RnB. They have like the same "beat" or background music (i dont know how they call it) again and again.

Or these days House music and David Guetta or something. Fake claps, fake "dance thrilling sections" and so on.

Virtuosity? Someone who did not listen to Classical Music can not know what this even means.

My last point is.
Always, I had 2 discussions already about this, when I say that the band or musican you listen to is crap, people feel offended and always claiming that this is not true. ALWAYS.

If I start to argue about this, people tell me always the same.
Maybe soon some of you will give us some examples of "great music" and then I will tell you that this is not true. And then you will see how they will react. It is like 1 million people and 1 million people telling me that their music is the best.

What do you think?
I am to snobbish? Or is your narcissism telling you that your taste is just different and special?

And where is the bad music? Everyone saying that their taste is good. So what is bad then? There must be good and bad music. But if everyone thinking that their music is good, that means there is no bad at all.
But this is not possible.
Like saying every soccer player is a good soccer player. Just because someone plays soccer does not make him good. Like not just because someone produces music he is not good. Can not be.

???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
So much effort put into this OP I really do commend your efforts but I simply do not have enough patience to read all of it
Reply 2
I like the fact that alternative is 3rd - that's not very alt is it? x)
Reply 3
Reply 4
That's nice
Reply 5
Original post by Robbie242
So much effort put into this OP I really do commend your efforts but I simply do not have enough patience to read all of it

You're so mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by itssimplyme
You're so mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no you
Reply 8
Original post by sbj
I always wondered why people think that they are unique when it comes to music. Look around yourself, look at yourself, read the music section. Always you find people saying to each other ":clap2: great taste you have" or "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW GREAT THEY ARE".

Always telling and wishing that more people should understand and know these musicians. And trying to explain how awesome and delightful they are.

If you are a bit older than 15, you will see that pop culture is dominating and was always dominating. Every decade or year some people claiming that this is the best music ever or even more than that, when years past, they tell never ever music will be such good like in the "xx's" (<--- insert a decade you want like 70's, 90's or whatever).

I can not even tell how many groups and musicians were in the last decade. Do you still listen to Eminem or 50 CENT?
Still a fan of Britney Spears? As time goes by they get replaced by other musicians. Always was.
It does not matter almost which genre, 95% belong to pop culture.

Do you think your genre is special? RnB? Metal? Electronic (a time it was called Techno)?

Most of you listen to the same crap every single year again and again. Musicians change but the quality remains same.
People who can not hold notes, can't even read music sheet.
People who need computers and programs to sound a little bit good.
People who can not play an instrument but call themselves "producers".
Or people who play the damn same basic guitar riff again and again and people fall in love with them.
Always same beats, time periods, same instruments.

But it is more about the "culture" around it. Like going to concerts, banging heads or screaming to Justin Timberlake or Adele or whatever.

Talentless people but they fill in a leak. There is a niche and that is all about.
It is always about ENTERTAINING.

Like you must be sexy, be naked, be a good entertainer, make some dance moves, talk about forbidden things, be a naughty boy, more stupid things you say more you will attract people. Or like the metal people make a culture around your music.

I want to understand where this great taste some of you have is.

Or for UK see this.

You see?
There is nothing special about you or your taste if you do not belong to the last group of genres but I guess not.
Of course there are thousand of musicians and every human being is a bit different, that means the probability that 2 people have same taste in music is near 0. But it is for ALL of us.
But to find some common things it is really easy except you really just belong to the last group of genres.

So that means your taste is not special and thouse music you listen to is mostly crap.
I gave in another thread simple criteria for everyone to look for:
Lyrics, voice, composition and virtuosity

Lyrics? You are the nation of Shakespeare. And all people who have a little bit clue about poetry or great writers, you will see that the most lyrics in music business are crap. Like they wrote them down in 5 minutes after a shower and having, if they have, always same rhymes and stupid sentences like from a 5 year old child.

Voices? Compare their records with their concerts. You will see how crap they are. Most of them can't even sing. And if they can sing, which is rare, then their voice is low. Like little tone range, can't hold for long tones, can not sing loud, and so on. Did I mention software to make your voice sound well?

But if there are musicians around here, they will tell you how they use simple riffs and melodic compononents.
Like RnB. They have like the same "beat" or background music (i dont know how they call it) again and again.

Or these days House music and David Guetta or something. Fake claps, fake "dance thrilling sections" and so on.

Virtuosity? Someone who did not listen to Classical Music can not know what this even means.

My last point is.
Always, I had 2 discussions already about this, when I say that the band or musican you listen to is crap, people feel offended and always claiming that this is not true. ALWAYS.

If I start to argue about this, people tell me always the same.
Maybe soon some of you will give us some examples of "great music" and then I will tell you that this is not true. And then you will see how they will react. It is like 1 million people and 1 million people telling me that their music is the best.

What do you think?
I am to snobbish? Or is your narcissism telling you that your taste is just different and special?

And where is the bad music? Everyone saying that their taste is good. So what is bad then? There must be good and bad music. But if everyone thinking that their music is good, that means there is no bad at all.
But this is not possible.
Like saying every soccer player is a good soccer player. Just because someone plays soccer does not make him good. Like not just because someone produces music he is not good. Can not be.

???

Quite ironic thread title after witnessing OP's rant.

And I hate people who immediately slate off any music created using a computer. "Dats not muzak", sorry Mozart things have changed in the last century. I think people are just too stuck in their habits and refuse to accept or adapt to change.

And this argument that electronic music all sounds the same rah, rah "cuz it has da same drum pattern innit" every genre of music has a structure that is widely followed you fool.
Reply 9
Original post by Robbie242

Well maybe because my English sucks. I guess if you read what I wrote you would not commend my efforts because you would not like what I say.

Very interesting. Thank you.

But my thread is a flop I see. Typical for mainstream people like the music they belong to. I wonder sometimes if they can read. Wasting hours while chatting and doing nothing around the web but simple read an article or something for 5 minutes, this is too much.

That is basically a proof for me. Like the music they listen to must be easy to understand, you must do no effort at all, radio must chose for you your music and there must be a culture so you feel not alone at all. So consuming must be easy.
But think for 10 minutes what crap you listen? Nahh, too much to read.
(PS: Robbie, at least you are kind and honest, thank you. Please do not feel offended but you know what I mean I hope).
Reply 10
Original post by Tom78
Quite ironic thread title after witnessing OP's rant.

And I hate people who immediately slate off any music created using a computer. "Dats not muzak", sorry Mozart things have changed in the last century. I think people are just too stuck in their habits and refuse to accept or adapt to change.

And this argument that electronic music all sounds the same rah, rah "cuz it has da same drum pattern innit" every genre of music has a structure that is widely followed you fool.

Hmm, am I suprised with this kind of answer?
Thank you.
People think their music taste is good because they recommend music they like. The music they like is music they enjoy. Why is that difficult to understand?

I didn't understand the relevance of the graphs in the slightest.

You said, those people who make music on computers aren't producers. Why don't you make a good beat or instrumental if it's easy?

Every genre that exists has basic patterns people follow. I don't really see why that's a problem
Probably because some people do have good taste in music and spend a lot of time actually looking for it. It's always the people who can't be arsed looking any further than Radio 1 who whinge about this sort of thing.

Music is an art form, saying the difference between good music and bad music is only down to opinion is stupid, you wouldn't apply this to dance, or painting, or other art forms.

Butthurt guys with crap taste stay mad.
Reply 13
You said, those people who make music on computers aren't producers. Why don't you make a good beat or instrumental if it's easy?

Anything special you want?
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how%20to%20fl%20studio&sm=1
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tutorial%20garageband&sm=1

As you see you can find tutorials how to produce those things.

Original post by chickenonsteroids
People think their music taste is good because they recommend music they like. The music they like is music they enjoy. Why is that difficult to understand?

I didn't understand the relevance of the graphs in the slightest.

Every genre that exists has basic patterns people follow. I don't really see why that's a problem

The problem is every time (already happened here) when I talk about music with someone, like what do you listen to and why do you fenjoy it and so on this problem occurs. Like I say it is crap and try to explain why. And then they say they I just don't know this music, I don't understand, it is something special and unique, nobody ever was like that and so on.
So basically always telling me that their music taste is something special and I can not understand it.
Now, I want to understand it. Explain. What is it I miss?

The graphs shows you which kind of music is mainstream music. That means the chance your taste is unique is not very high.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
wow long op
Reply 15
why do people think THEY have great taste in music?

because my favourite band is the beatles. :sexface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by sbj

And this is what we would not call "good music". To be fair, I only listen to mainstream music if it reminds me of the catchy music video that was released alongside it. Believe it or not, there are bands and single artists out there who spend years crafting out the right lyrics for their albums.

Well... I really cannot argue there. I've heard some of my favourite bands live, and hot damn they are terrible. If you want real, authentic and brilliant voices, you have a better chance going to see a musical. Imo it doesn't make their skills as a music artist any worse, just as singers.

Unless their lyrics suck too, in which case, they should never see the light of a stage ever again.

For most music, I'd agree with this, no matter what the genre is. I can't help but listen to a rock song made by a brand new 2013 band and think to myself "I swear Linkin Park did this already"

It's rare, but again some artists will break the mold and try out something different. Riffs will usually be simple (and rightly so, I wouldn't want music tracks to have the same sort of composition as Beethoven's Sonatas) but even those can vary it up a little by using different instruments, unusual time signatures (Yes, even if you have to use a computer to generate them. Hey, computers can let a 3 member band create an orchestra to give them that backing track to a song, which could otherwise be impossible. I'm not complaining.)

If you call my favourite bands "crap", then I'll put forward my own views on why I think you're wrong. If you still don't like them after that, then that's your opinion. I KNOW that not everyone on the planet will not like my music (These bands aren't hardly known for no good reason)
I have a feeling you're coming at it from a completely different angle. Still, might as well have some input.

It's subjective. Subjectively I'd say there is no best genre of music because I usually like musicians that don't limit themselves to one. I can appreciate music with elements of Folk, (Cool/Modern) Jazz, Rock, Classical, Blues(-Rock), Celtic, Medieval and Ambient. Probably a large number of other genres I can't think of right now as well. I might say I don't like most Rap, Country, House or recent Pop I've heard, in fact, some of it I absolutely despise. However that's not to say those that do appreciate those genres have bad taste. They just appreciate different elements of music to those that I do.

As for lyrics, and voices, it depends on what you're after. If a song uses the voice merely as another instrument the lyrics don't even need to make sense, let alone be meaningful. This is not always a bad thing. The concerts are about the atmosphere as much as the music for some. Having said that, at the (few) concerts I've been to the bands/artists have been equally as good live. Didn't really get the other two points you made.

I might be upset if someone insulted my taste in music, because for me it induces such strong emotions- it seems awful when someone can't appreciate it as it's something I love to share with people.

Music is mostly subjective, soccer playing isn't. I think you're trying to look at both objectively. There's some music that no one will appreciate and there are some rules one must follow in music (I presume), but there's a massive amount of variety in what people will like. Maybe you are judging it by the talent it requires, which you could do, but its not about that for most people. We all have different criteria.

Haven't looked at other posts- I'm sure other people have made my points. Still, I felt like having a bit of a rant. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
It is because some people cannot comprehend things like key changes, incidentals, time signatures that aren't 3/4 or 4/4 so to them it sounds like an disorganised mess.
Also I think rock is the most popular because rock is such a wide term, almost anything these days can be considered rock if it uses a minor chord in it or something else likely.
errytime I DJ at a houseparty or just a chill session with ma boiz, ERRYBODY commends my taste in music. EVERYBODY.

Quick Reply

Latest