The Student Room Group

Who is you favourite Prime Minister since 1945-present day?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by james1211
Giving independance was better than having it taken from us, which is what arguable would have happened. That or we would have continued to resist it and became the next Assad.

Two words.. Imperial Federation
Reply 21
I have no doubt in my mind, the best post-war PM would definitely be Margaret Thatcher. She presided over a very difficult time and I'd argue it was an even more difficult time than that of Atlee. The world had changed as had much of Europe and to an extent so was UK, it is fairly easy to build a country up some years of destruction as you do get a clean sheet of paper, trying to fix a country after decades of neglect and disrepair now that is a totally different problem as you can't quite use a bulldozer to just clear the rubble away.

Atlee? I don't think too highly of him, prior to WW2 UK had one of the best rail systems in the world, he left office giving it the foundations to be among the least efficient in Europe. NHS? Sorry not my cup of tea, I don't like anything that's free for everyone as anything that is free tends to get overused. He did set up a welfare state, unfortunately in subsequent years his party ruined it into one that would create a dependency culture that is among the worst in EU. Nationalised road-haulage?? What really? This was simply wrong. Nationalisation of the coalmines and giving unions such powers. You might say hindsight is a wonderful thing but this simply isn't an excuse for such failed policies. Just about every industry UK was once famous for essentially got ruined due to policies from this scumbag, setting up the NHS doesn't make him a great man in my books and the effects of his policies in later years would rank him as among the worst PMs UK ever had.

Can't forget too his major gaffe, giving the USSR one of UK's most prized military secrets, the jet engine.... who would have thought a PM could actually be that stupid.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
MacMillan seems so under-rated that he's escaped addition to the poll.
I think it's difficult to nominate anyone after Thatcher. Since 1990 there have been no new ideas in British politics, just various hangers-on riding Thatcher's wave.
Reply 24
gordon brown, he just came in at the worst possible time
Reply 25
Original post by Habsburg
MacMillan seems so under-rated that he's escaped addition to the poll.

Yeah sorry it was all of the top of my head, should have checked really!
Reply 26
Original post by Jack93o
gordon brown, he just came in at the worst possible time

To be fair he had wanted for job way before he got it. Has to be one of the worst PMs ever.
Reply 27
It'd be interesting to see if people voting for Tony Blair would by default also support his son who may be elected in 2015 to parliament. Or whether they take the approach that he can have no special favours.
I've voted for Clement Attlee. The NHS, welfare state and nationalised industries were the best creations of Britain - sadly they're all being taken away now by the Tories.
Attlee

Where is Harold McMillan in this poll?

He is generally regarded highly by people
Reply 30
Attlee, MacMillan and Wilson.

Special mention to Major and Blair, who are obviously more recent in my memory.
Reply 31
Attlee, and no one else is even close. Churchill as a war time leader and Attlee as a peacetime leader is the best combination of PMs there has ever been (bar maybe Disraeli/Gladstone).
Clement Attlee as under his government the NHS was created.
Original post by Dr DaMan
Not if you lived up north.

I live up North and Thatcher was the best thing since sliced bread. What do you suggest? Keep the mines open just for the sake of it? Forget about the barrels of money that they're losing.. Forget about that. Just keep the mines open. And they still haven't forgotten it! Thirty years later 'Thatcher shut the mines dontcha know.' No wonder the Tories don't put any effort into this region... Would you?

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!
Reply 34
Original post by uktotalgamer
I live up North and Thatcher was the best thing since sliced bread. What do you suggest? Keep the mines open just for the sake of it? Forget about the barrels of money that they're losing.. Forget about that. Just keep the mines open. And they still haven't forgotten it! Thirty years later 'Thatcher shut the mines dontcha know.' No wonder the Tories don't put any effort into this region... Would you?

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!

Strangely despite the fact my parents are lefties and up north Thatcher is the only Tory they'd ever voted for. Essentially because they hated the militant unions more than the Tories and because they respect her for being the 'Iron Lady'.
Reply 35
Original post by barnetlad
Clement Attlee as under his government the NHS was created.

A Liberal, William Beverage created it and created the blue print for it during WWII but Labour implemented it!

Original post by Rakas21
It'd be interesting to see if people voting for Tony Blair would by default also support his son who may be elected in 2015 to parliament. Or whether they take the approach that he can have no special favours.

I think he will have but Labour will make it look like he has not!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending