The Student Room Group

can the universe come from nothing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imtelling
i started this thread because i was afraid that this blind theory of 'something from nothing' was beginning sound a lot like the rhetoric and 'reasoning' of religious people.

when religious people have no understanding of events they make stuff up. what this theory tells me is that when certain physicists have no understanding of events they also just make stuff up.

As detailed multiple times throughout this thread, this isn't how science works and, whether or not Krauss is actually right, it is at best extremely misleading to claim he is "just making stuff up".

Of course we shouldn't just assume that what Krauss says is right without further inquiry, but that isn't the same as claiming that he is just wrong and unscientific and what he's saying is unevidenced and based on faith. The last three at least are just wrong!

Spoiler

Original post by imtelling
asking me to prove the universe can come from nothing is exactly the same as a religious person asking to prove that god does not exist? surely you can see that?

No, it's precisely the other way around. You are saying "something can't come from nothing", while I'm saying "well, maybe you're right, but I don't see any reason to believe that's true so for now I'll suspend judgement". Theists are saying "God exists", while [most] atheists are saying "well, maybe you're right, but I don't see any reason to believe that's true so for now I'll suspend judgement." It seems that you are the religious person asking for proof that God does not exist in this analogy, no?

When you make an unevidenced claim it is perfectly rational to provisionally dismiss it until there is actually some reason to believe it's true. Thus far, your claim is unevidenced. Hence I dismiss it until you provide evidence.
Original post by amplified cactus
I'm not aware of any good reason to suppose it can't. It strikes me as entirely plausible that the universe could simply have popped into existence from nothing.

As for Krauss, I'm not going to watch that two-hour video, but I'm aware of his views here. In fact, he does not defend the claim that the universe came from nothing. It might seem as though he defends that claim; but he uses the word "nothing" in a completely nonstandard way. "Nothing", to Krauss, does not mean what it means to almost every other English-speaking person. Krauss's views are irrelevant to this thread.

No they're not, his views are more than relevant. He's the theoretical physicist, not us. And the words he uses and what they're defined as is more important. It's merely by informal language which could confuse us. For instance when a physicists says 'the universe', they don't mean 'everything that exists', the universe just means all we can see (observable universe). In the same way that when he says 'nothing', there's a lot more to the definition to the word than what we know it as.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As for Krauss, I'm not going to watch that two-hour video, but I'm aware of his views here. In fact, he does not defend the claim that the universe came from nothing. It might seem as though he defends that claim; but he uses the word "nothing" in a completely nonstandard way. "Nothing", to Krauss, does not mean what it means to almost every other English-speaking person. Krauss's views are irrelevant to this thread.

So what do you think is the "standard" way to define nothing? Do you think laypeople draw a distinction between a "nothing" with physical laws and one without them? It had never even crossed my mind that "nothing" could mean something without physical laws until I read discussions such at these; I'd always assumed physical laws were not "things" and just pervaded the universe by necessity.

Regardless, Krauss goes into some detail on definitions of nothing so I'm not quite sure where you take issue!
Original post by JohnPaul_
No they're not, his views are more than relevant. He's the theoretical physicist, not us.

I couldn't care less that he's a theoretical physicist. Do you accept everything every theoretical physicist says?

In the same way that when he says 'nothing', there's a lot more to the definition to the word than what we know it as.

Which is just to repeat what I said - that he's using the word "nothing" in a nonstandard way. Hence, when Krauss asks "can the universe come from nothing?", that question does not mean what it means when almost any other person asks "can the universe come from nothing?" This is not to say that there's anything wrong with Krauss's definition. People can define words however they like. But he's just not talking about the same question as the rest of us (again, this is not to say there's anything wrong with the question he is talking about; it may be a perfectly fine and interesting question).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Implication
So what do you think is the "standard" way to define nothing? Do you think laypeople draw a distinction between a "nothing" with physical laws and one without them? It had never even crossed my mind that "nothing" could mean something without physical laws until I read discussions such at these; I'd always assumed physical laws were not "things" and just pervaded the universe by necessity.

Physical laws are very arguably not concrete objects like, say, trees and cars, and "thing" can be used in a restricted sense to refer only to concrete objects. However, "thing" is also used in a broader sense to refer to any object, property, state of affairs, etc. Here's the first entry in the definition of "thing" from my Little Oxford Dictionary:

"any possible object of thought including persons, material objects, events, qualities, ideas, utterances, and acts"

Similarly, "nothing" can be used in a narrow or broad sense. In the context of this discussion (and really in almost any more philosophical context), "nothing" is used in the broad sense. Physical laws are not nothing. Physical laws are laws; and the question of whether the universe can come from nothing is completely different to whether it can come from pre-existing physical laws. Almost nobody has that latter question in mind when they ask whether the universe could have come from nothing.

Regardless, Krauss goes into some detail on definitions of nothing so I'm not quite sure where you take issue!

I don't "take issue" with it. I simply don't consider it relevant to the question asked in the OP.
I couldn't care less that he's a theoretical physicist. Do you accept everything every theoretical physicist says?

Which is just to repeat what I said - that he's using the word "nothing" in a nonstandard way. Hence, when Krauss asks "can the universe come from nothing?", that question does not mean what it means when almost any other person asks "can the universe come from nothing?" This is not to say that there's anything wrong with Krauss's definition. People can define words however they like. But he's just not talking about the same question as the rest of us (again, this is not to say there's anything wrong with the question he is talking about; it may be a perfectly fine and interesting question).

I may be cautious with everything a theoretical physicist says but I'm going to listen to him before anyone else on this matter because he's the expert.

And not quite, although he defines nothing as a physical quantity, that physical quantity can still include not having any space, any time, any radiation, any particles... that's a pretty good estimation of the nothing we're all talking about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I may be cautious with everything a theoretical physicist says but I'm going to listen to him before anyone else on this matter because he's the expert.

Not if we're defining all the words in the question standardly. I doubt most theoretical physicists even care about that question (an attitude that I pretty much share, by the way). Obviously, if you allow "nothing" to include, say, physical laws, then theoretical physicists would be the experts. But that's a different question.

And not quite, although he defines nothing as a physical quantity, that physical quantity can still include not having any space, any time, any radiation, any particles... that's a pretty good estimation of the nothing we're all talking about.

No, "physical quantities" are not nothing. "Nothing", standardly, does not mean simply the absence of those things about which we happen to be familiar (space, time, radiation, particles). It means the absence of absolutely anything. If we have "physical quantities", we do not have nothing.

I don't want to sound like I'm being too critical of Krauss here. What he's talking about may well be very interesting indeed. If we could explain how all of space, time, radiation, and particles, arise from some more elementary "physical quantities", that would be a great achievement. But it would not tell us anything about whether the universe could come from nothing.
(edited 10 years ago)

You're making perfect sense.

Nothing is not an object. Some people do treat nothing as an infinitely small quantity where nothing exists but this is the wrong way of describing nothing.

One of the reasons is because the word nothing is not well defined. If I open the fridge I might and usually do say "ffs there's nothing in the fridge" which is just a badly structured sentence because I am literally saying "There is something in the fridge, but it's nothing."

Here is a better way of thinking about it.... Nothing is true if and only if everything else is false. I could use a truth table but I don't think I need to go that far lol.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
This argument indicates to me that, at some point, we have a HUGE misunderstanding of physics. Fair enough, we can understand many things that are happening now, but there is a very big lapse of information when it comes to going further back. Perhaps we shall never know.

But the only thing I say is that SOMETHING must have come from nothing at some point to be the first thing that existed. Existence is something that messes with my head a bit. I can understand evolution and the formation of the universe.. but what comes before that is mind-blowing. Because surely there isn't an infinite number of years that we can go back, but everything has to have a beginning.. or does it? Refer back to my first paragraph.

There's something that we, as human beings, do not yet know or understand. When we do, although it probably won't be in our lifetime, the huge questions such as these will start to make more sense.

Original post by mathsmathsmaths

This isn't true. Something can have always existed which means it was never "created" because it always existed
Original post by KeepYourChinUp
This isn't true. Something can have always existed which means it was never "created" because it always existed

It was an excerpt from her post :tongue:
Reply 71
lol wow
Original post by mathsmathsmaths

Incorrect, something can always have existed, meaning it's eternal.
If the universe is everything, what else can it come from but nothing?

If the universe is not everything, why are we talking about it alone?
Original post by sjaan
lol wow

Why wow?
You're making perfect sense.

Nothing is not an object. Some people do treat nothing as an infinitely small quantity where nothing exists but this is the wrong way of describing nothing.

One of the reasons is because the word nothing is not well defined. If I open the fridge I might and usually do say "ffs there's nothing in the fridge" which is just a badly structured sentence because I am literally saying "There is something in the fridge, but it's nothing."

Here is a better way of thinking about it.... Nothing is true if and only if everything else is false. I could use a truth table but I don't think I need to go that far lol.

So are you disagreeing with Krauss when he says nothing is a physical quantity in the preface of his book?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So are you disagreeing with Krauss when he says nothing is a physical quantity in the preface of his book?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Incorrect, something can always have existed, meaning it's eternal.

It was an excerpt from her post :tongue:
Physical laws are very arguably not concrete objects like, say, trees and cars, and "thing" can be used in a restricted sense to refer only to concrete objects. However, "thing" is also used in a broader sense to refer to any object, property, state of affairs, etc. Here's the first entry in the definition of "thing" from my Little Oxford Dictionary:

"any possible object of thought including persons, material objects, events, qualities, ideas, utterances, and acts"

Similarly, "nothing" can be used in a narrow or broad sense. In the context of this discussion (and really in almost any more philosophical context), "nothing" is used in the broad sense. Physical laws are not nothing. Physical laws are laws; and the question of whether the universe can come from nothing is completely different to whether it can come from pre-existing physical laws.

I agree that nothing does have narrower and broader definitions, but I have two substantial problems with what you say here. Firstly, it seems clear to me that "nothing" is not always used in the broader sense in this context: if it were, there wouldn't be so many discussions of this type! Evidently some people do mean something different to others when they say "nothing", so I don't think it's appropriate to say that in this context the nothing is always a "complete" nothing.

Secondly, I contend that, in a philosophical context, "nothing" is not always used and has not always been used in the broader sense. As detailed in the video, the ancient Greeks probably considered "nothing" to simply be an absence of space and, if I recall correctly, even this was a novel idea for Aristotle: before then, "nothing" was usually understood to be space with no matter. In fact I'm sure there are some famous philosophers who consider anything without physical reality - anything abstract - to be nothing!

Almost nobody has that latter question in mind when they ask whether the universe could have come from nothing.

Well I humbly submit that, if you are right, virtually everyone is a moron!

Saying "something can't come from nothing" is a self-contradictory statement if "nothing" is defined to have no physical laws: the claim itself is a law applied to that which supposedly has no laws. If nothing has no physical laws then it is a display of idiocy to claim that something can't come from it; there are no laws!
Yes.

Interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending