Mini ice age approaching

Watch
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Mini ice age approaching

Right. Whatever your views are put them on hold because the BBC have announced that our Sun is not behaving as it should.

What does this mean?

Solar Physicist have came to the conclusion that the level of activity of solar flares is extremely low during our current time. They say that the Suns activity may fall to levels we have never seen before. Ice core samples which hold historical data reveal that this decline not has been seen in 10,000 years. It is possible that we are entering a mini ice age and there could be a further possibility of a permanent weather change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25743806

Personally I am what you call a Prepper. This is street slang for a person who believes the end of the world is coming but the slang Prepper stands for much, much more. I believe this looming ice age has serious implications for our nation and instead of finger pointing and fighting amongst each other we need to work together and stop letting the media exploit us to their advantage. We are the ones who will have to live though the next 50 to 70 years. About time we started to think like a human race instead of a pack of animals.

I recommend that everyone watch the show Doomsday Preppers on Youtube and the film day of tomorrow it will give you a insight to some of the preparations you need to make. This is not fear-mongering. It is risk assessment and insurance for what is going to happen. There is no ifs or buts. It will happen. You can’t disagree with someone who has 30 years of experience in their field.

If people want to talk more on a personal basis we could talk on a google hangout and I can give you all the knowledge you need to prepare.
Dr Pesto
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think you may be over reacting slightly.
illegaltobepoor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dr Pesto)
I think you may be over reacting slightly.
That is what people said about the recent tidal surge. Look what happened. Fact is we have a proven slow down and if the jet-stream shifts along with mar-time currents your going to see a drop in temperature.

Yes it is perfectly normal. It has happened before but what you don't realise is the last super snow storm we had in 2011 was it? It brought the country to a physical halt.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So for Joe Public. The world is warming up, yet cooling at the same time. People who live in areas liable to flood get flooded, but it's now apparently abnormal to have floods now.

I'm starting to think now that quite a lot of this so called drama is the advent of 24 news coverage. There always has to be a significant bigger story.
Solivagant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We can compensate for this by increasing our efforts into advancing global warming.

Problem solved.
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
That is what people said about the recent tidal surge. Look what happened. Fact is we have a proven slow down and if the jet-stream shifts along with mar-time currents your going to see a drop in temperature.

Yes it is perfectly normal. It has happened before but what you don't realise is the last super snow storm we had in 2011 was it? It brought the country to a physical halt.
You mean in the UK? A gnat's piss of snow brings the UK to a halt.
cupcakes87
Report 7 years ago
if we are going t freeze then we will all freeze together
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You can’t disagree with someone who has 30 years of experience in their field.
I didn't bother reading past your claim the BBC is saying the sun isn't 'behaving as it should'. The sun has been around for around 5 billion years, we have been around for barely 100 thousands years, and civilization and science as we know it much much MUCH less than that.

Study of the sun in any meaningful detail has barely been around for a few decades.

I'm betting conditions similar to now have most likely occurred on/in the sun plenty of times in it;s long history.

Also try to not read the BBC for science news, no offence to the BBC but science just isn't it's strong point, no surprise from an organization staffed predominantly by humanities graduates.

Some localised flooding after a lot of rain leading to some damp homes and a few delayed/cancelled mass transit services is hardly the end of civilization as we know it.

When we have a year of endless biting winter than I'll believe that the climate is changing noticeably. As MatureStudent has said, the UK suffering some moderate flooding is just business as usual.
Unruly Marmite
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does this mean Snowball Earth might return? Cool.....sorry.
illegaltobepoor
Rep:
?
(Original post by CJG21)
We can compensate for this by increasing our efforts into advancing global warming.

Problem solved.
You guys have no idea or concept of what is happening.

Global Warming has reduced our polar ice caps and this has reduced the pull of warm water/air from the equator.
Simple physics. positive attracts to negative and so on.

The Sun rays hit the equator and move North and South. This is what gives us our warm climate.

But so far the Northern Ice Caps have been melting around Greenland and so on.

Global Warming is like a catalyst. In fact it is one.

We have done the damage. It is going to happen.
Solivagant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Global Warming has reduced our polar ice caps and this has reduced the pull of warm water/air from the equator.

The Sun rays hit the equator and move North and South. This is what gives us our warm climate.

Wow. You took my post seriously.

:congrats:
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Records for ice coverage of the poles only began in 1980.

They've gone up and down in that time. We were promised an ice free North Pole in 2013 back in the 90s.

Spectacular predictions make good news. Spectacular predictions rarely come to fruition.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mini ice age approaching

Right. Whatever your views are put them on hold because the BBC have announced that our Sun is not behaving as it should.

What does this mean?

Solar Physicist have came to the conclusion that the level of activity of solar flares is extremely low during our current time. They say that the Suns activity may fall to levels we have never seen before. Ice core samples which hold historical data reveal that this decline not has been seen in 10,000 years. It is possible that we are entering a mini ice age and there could be a further possibility of a permanent weather change.

Personally I am what you call a Prepper. This is street slang for a person who believes the end of the world is coming but the slang Prepper stands for much, much more. I believe this looming ice age has serious implications for our nation and instead of finger pointing and fighting amongst each other we need to work together and stop letting the media exploit us to their advantage. We are the ones who will have to live though the next 50 to 70 years. About time we started to think like a human race instead of a pack of animals.

I recommend that everyone watch the show Doomsday Preppers on Youtube and the film day of tomorrow it will give you a insight to some of the preparations you need to make. This is not fear-mongering. It is risk assessment and insurance for what is going to happen. There is no ifs or buts. It will happen. You can’t disagree with someone who has 30 years of experience in their field.

If people want to talk more on a personal basis we could talk on a google hangout and I can give you all the knowledge you need to prepare.
Would that be the ice age you found out about from the media within the last 24 hours?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Right.....

So is it going to get 'warmer' or 'colder'?

Did you prep for the year 2000?
Mockery
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
TECHNICALLY the ice age hasn't as of yet ended
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That is what people said about the recent tidal surge. Look what happened.
You mean the tidal surge which didn't worry the Thames Barrier in the slightest? That barrier we built in the 80s because of tidal surges?
IFoundWonderland
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think buying more milk and a couple of hats is going to stop you from dying should the world be hit by an ice age.. Instead of faffing about and worrying maybe you should live life to the fullest? After all you're going to die in 70 years; well that's if you're lucky. Maybe you shouldn't have children? That way you're preparing by preventing your offspring from having to suffer Ice Age 5
km11
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
governments dont understand climate change is actually happening right now,the uk just act like 'we'll fix it in the short term ' and they come up with all solutions and yet the british public ignore it because they're that lazy to see.wonder if it will snow in summer ?
Munrot07
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mini ice age approaching

What does this mean?

If you are going to use an article please quote it correctly.

You said: "Ice core samples which hold historical data reveal that this decline not has been seen in 10,000 years" when in fact the quote is "An analysis of ice-cores, which hold a long-term record of solar activity, suggests the decline in activity is the
fastest that has been seen in 10,000 years."

You have changed the quote in such a way that it can make the problem seem a lot worse than it is. In fact the article says the sun was last this inactive 100 years ago, "If you want to go back to see when the Sun was this inactive... you've got to go back about 100 years," That is very different to what you are saying. You say you are not fear mongering but you basically are.

The article also says that in the next 40 years we could go back to conditions found in the 17th century, to a maunder minimum, if the sun continues its current pattern, which it may not. This is what the pattern is showing, not an ice age. Correct me if I am wrong but the 17th century wasn't known for having an ice age...or being 10,000 years ago.

"There is no ifs or buts. It will happen." (trying to ignore the incorrect english) there are ifs and buts. These conditions (not of an ice age) will only occur IF the sun continues the way it does.

Also: no where in the article does it say scientists are calling this a "mini-ice age". The closest it comes to that is saying that the conditions in the 17th century where described by some people as a mini-ice age. I'm someone, you are someone, some person in Australia is someone, doesn't mean it was a mini-ice age.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by krishkmistry)
governments dont understand climate change is actually happening right now,the uk just act like 'we'll fix it in the short term ' and they come up with all solutions and yet the british public ignore it because they're that lazy to see.wonder if it will snow in summer ?
Like it did in June '75?
http://www.lccc.co.uk/news/this-day-...pped-play/2894
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.03%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (87)
63.97%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (18)
13.24%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
9.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.21%

Watched Threads