The Student Room Group

UCL Academy

Does anyone know the application process, I just got a conditional offer but not really sure on how to approach it. I understand on getting the right grades but i dont know how to accept the offer or is it a matter of just focusing on my real GCSEs results

Does anyone go to UCL Academy?
I was considering going to UCL academy but after I applied I saw the comments on this article: http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2013/sep/new-flagship-ucl-academy-school-launches-review-exam-results-disappointment.

I am predicted A's and A*'s but the offer I got was minimum 6 B's, it show's how desperate they are to get students to go there.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I wouldn't want you to go to a bad sixth form.
Reply 2
Original post by imjustnotnormal
I was considering going to UCL academy but after I applied I saw the comments on this article: http://www.camdennewjournal.com/news/2013/sep/new-flagship-ucl-academy-school-launches-review-exam-results-disappointment.

I am predicted A's and A*'s but the offer I got was minimum 6 B's, it show's how desperate they are to get students to go there.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I wouldn't want you to go to a bad sixth form.

Hi I considered applying there

Is it really that bad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I applied there for the first sixth form intake (starting in 2012). I got in and, so happy I didn't go because I know too many people who weren't there and are now retaking the year.

Unfortunately, as they are an academy they aren't required to publish their results however, as they are new, you are technically their guinea pig. I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Not for a-levels.
Also, they require you to choose 3 science subjects and 1 humanities/arts subject. This means that if you decide 1/2 weeks in that a certain subject isn't for you, you have a limited range of what you can change to and so, if you decide that maths is too hard I doubt having to choose another science subject, e.g.physics, would be much easier. Just something to bear in mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Words
I applied there for the first sixth form intake (starting in 2012). I got in and, so happy I didn't go because I know too many people who weren't there and are now retaking the year.

Unfortunately, as they are an academy they aren't required to publish their results however, as they are new, you are technically their guinea pig. I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Not for a-levels.
Also, they require you to choose 3 science subjects and 1 humanities/arts subject. This means that if you decide 1/2 weeks in that a certain subject isn't for you, you have a limited range of what you can change to and so, if you decide that maths is too hard I doubt having to choose another science subject, e.g.physics, would be much easier. Just something to bear in mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im predicted an A* in math and I'm further maths and physics. If I started preparing the second I recurve my GCSEs would I have a chance to do much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AAAA1997
Im predicted an A* in math and I'm further maths and physics. If I started preparing the second I recurve my GCSEs would I have a chance to do much better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If i'm honest, the jump from GCSE maths to a level is ridiculous. I got an A* in GCSE maths and I loved it so much yet when I started doing maths a level in year 12, I was so lost. I had to drop it so that I didn't fail lol.

My point was that if you do find that it hard, you're going to have a limited choice. However, if you are determined on going to UCL Academy, good luck lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Words
If i'm honest, the jump from GCSE maths to a level is ridiculous. I got an A* in GCSE maths and I loved it so much yet when I started doing maths a level in year 12, I was so lost. I had to drop it so that I didn't fail lol.

My point was that if you do find that it hard, you're going to have a limited choice. However, if you are determined on going to UCL Academy, good luck lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still considering it

What did your friends say? Surely the school would've fixed the syllabus or something. Apart from the building, why did almost everyone fail?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
That's what I don't get

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what I don't get

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't just the building people were complaining about it was the style of lessons, the teaching etc.

I knew a girl who was fluent in Mandarin and too it as an A-level but got a U because the teachers weren't bothered to teach.

Also some of their lessons are like lectures and not actual lessons because they want to be a bit more like a uni.

If you want to go there because it has UCL in the name and you think it will be as good as the uni, I wouldn't recommend it because its not.
Reply 9
Original post by imjustnotnormal

If you want to go there because it has UCL in the name and you think it will be as good as the uni, I wouldn't recommend it because its not.

Well said. Plus, it seems like people may seem to think that going there will give you an advantage when applying to UCL the uni. That's not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Words
Well said. Plus, it seems like people may seem to think that going there will give you an advantage when applying to UCL the uni. That's not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did my Maths GCSE in year 9 ( grade A*). And I achieved a grade A in AS maths.

So if I go there am I likely that I will do bad on my A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Words

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously, did anyone go to a good uni from that school? (Eg Oxbridge, imperial etc)

I mean not everyone failed right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Obviously, did anyone go to a good uni from that school? (Eg Oxbridge, imperial etc)

I mean not everyone failed right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No-one has gone to university yet. The first sixth form intake was in 2012 so, the current year 13 sixth formers would be the first to go to uni from UCL Academy.
In my opinion, it is quite a risk to go there. I personally don't think it is worth the risk. However, if that is where you are set on going and think you can work hard and get the extra help all year through if your teacher can't be bothered to teach properly etc then, go for it.
Reply 13
Original post by Words
No-one has gone to university yet. The first sixth form intake was in 2012 so, the current year 13 sixth formers would be the first to go to uni from UCL Academy.
In my opinion, it is quite a risk to go there. I personally don't think it is worth the risk. However, if that is where you are set on going and think you can work hard and get the extra help all year through if your teacher can't be bothered to teach properly etc then, go for it.

I applied there and got a conditional offer. Is is that terrible?!

Also on the prospectus it says students who study further maths are "expected" to achieve an A* in GCSE Maths. whereas it said on another part of the website that you need a minimum of an A. Can you shed some light on this please.
Reply 14
Original post by gavss
I applied there and got a conditional offer. Is is that terrible?!

Also on the prospectus it says students who study further maths are "expected" to achieve an A* in GCSE Maths. whereas it said on another part of the website that you need a minimum of an A. Can you shed some light on this please.

Well if you want to go there then, no.. It's not terrible..
And I just checked. For Further Maths, you are expected to get an A* in GCSE Maths whereas for Maths A-Level, you are expected to get an A in GCSE Maths.
Reply 15
Even though many people had to retake the tests it's only been 2 years since the school first began. I go to the UCL academy and I like it there I feel as though I have improved a lot and compared to my old school I feel as though UCL is better. They have great facilities and have a high standard of learning. My friends also agree with me and even though it's only been 2 years the UCL a academy is a great school.
Reply 16
hi im predicted 4A's and 5B's, do i have a chance of getting in??????????????
Reply 17
I'm still considering it

What did your friends say? Surely the school would've fixed the syllabus or something. Apart from the building, why did almost everyone fail?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you go to UCLA in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending