Why are smokers so inconsiderate and never care who breathes their smoke? Watch

This discussion is closed.
joebloggs434
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Whenever I'm out and about, there always seems to be smokers lighting up or blowing their smoke about without any regard for people nearby who don't want to breath it in.

For example, if I'm walking down the street, a smoker might light up while walking in front of me then blow out a gust of smoke, forcing me to breath it in. This is particularly bad on windy days.

The other day I was stood in a que to get in somewhere, and 2 smokers were in front of me in the que. They rolled up a roll up and lit up. It was a really windy day and I was forced into breathing their smoke. I nearly vomited it smelt so bad.

So my questions to smokers: why are you so inconsiderate? When you light up, do you ever care about people who may not want to breath in your filthy, dirty smoke? Why do you think you have a divine right to dirty the air around you with cigarette smoke?

Smokers, when you smoke DON'T blow your smoke onto people around you and if it's a windy day don't light up if someone is walking directly behind you. Have some consideration and awareness please, as it seems you lack these basic things.
chocolatesauce
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And chewing gum won't get rid of the smell!
FlavaFavourFruit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Agreed.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I couldn't care less about passive smoke for non-smokers. If i'm smoking in my room, get out. If we're outdoors, you aren't going to passively smoke anything.

If i'm smoking, i'll smoke to my contentment.
Silver Arrows
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by joebloggs434)
Why do you think you have a divine right to dirty the air around you with cigarette smoke?
Well where else are they supposed to smoke. They're in a public place, are you suggesting they should stand 10ft away from you all the time?
Kelytha
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I only smoke at college/in my room.

At college, we can only smoke in the shelters so obviously no non smokers are going to be forced to breathe in our smoke! At home, I only smoke in my room with the window open. I also stand by the window and blow my smoke out my window. I keep my window open for a few minutes afterwards as my Mum doesn't like the smell. (This is only in winter, in warm weather I go outside.)

I don't agree with public smoking. One man smokes at the bus stop every morning, there's a lot of secondary school children that get the same bus and I think it's shameful and a bad influence to children to smoke in front of them, when they don't have the choice to go somewhere else..
joebloggs434
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Kilroy8)
Well where else are they supposed to smoke. They're in a public place, are you suggesting they should stand 10ft away from you all the time?
You should smoke at home or in designated smoking areas only. Communal areas such as high streets should ban smoking. There should be street wardens to enforce this, and anyone caught with a cigarette should be spoken to firmly and issued an on the spot fine.
Silver Arrows
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You should smoke at home or in designated smoking areas only. Communal areas such as high streets should ban smoking. There should be street wardens to enforce this, and anyone caught with a cigarette should be spoken to firmly and issued an on the spot fine.
Nope, that would never work. Its a nasty habit but if you don't like it, move away from the smoker.
Holtz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't smoke but what do you want them to do, control the wind? We've already forced businesses to ban them and herd them into little pens outside. Don't walk behind them if you don't like it.
Dr Alcoholic
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Get over yourself. Smokers have been pushed to the dregs of society enough without you still having a go. They're not allowed to smoke indoors anymore, instead they need to go outside to a designated smoking area in full view so passers by can judge them for their habit. What more do you want? Do you want them to stop smoking in the street so you don't have to smell the smoke for all of 2 seconds?

Here's an idea, instead of complaining when someone lights up a fag, if you don't like it, move! Are you incapable of moving? If you are behind them how are they supposed to know you're even there. If you saw two guys rolling up a cig, why are you claiming you were forced to suffer their passive smoking, did they hold you there until they had finished or did you just decide not to move so you can make a big deal about it later and have something to complain about?

Honestly people like you are the worst kind of entitled sociopath.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you a labour supporter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
russellsteapot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Seems a bit ridiculous to be honest. I don't smoke (anymore) but the idea of policing where people can and cannot smoke outside is absurd. Particularly if someone is walking down the street in front of you. I can understand bans in places like bus shelters, hospital grounds, doorways and whatnot, but it's a road. If it's really upsetting you, cross the road and stop being so self-important. It's like saying that habitually smelly people shouldn't be allowed outside until they've had their pits and crotch sniffed by the Sweat Police.

Smokers don't need demonising any more than they are already. The smell of bubbling chip fat makes me feel mildly nauseous when I walk past a fish and chip shop. Close them all down just for me
Stanno
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some of the comments here, 'just move', seem to be ignoring the fact that some smokers stand right outside entrances to places (or in bus shelters as someone else mentioned). I'm not convinced of making it illegal, but I think there should at least be signs up asking them not to smoke in those places, seeming as they're too inconsiderate to realise for themselves.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kilroy8)
I'm suggesting they shouldn't be smoking at all. The air belongs to all of us and it isn't fair that they're forcing the rest of us to breathe in those disgusting carcinogenic fumes.
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chocolatesauce)
And chewing gum won't get rid of the smell!
It does to an extent ie: it makes sure that at least when they're talking to you, they don't stink of smoke
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
I couldn't care less about passive smoke for non-smokers. If i'm smoking in my room, get out. If we're outdoors, you aren't going to passively smoke anything.

That depends on where you are ie: if you're on a train platform, or just outside a station, where people shouldn't be smoking any way, then yes you can "passively smoke"

Basically this:

(Original post by Stanno)
Some of the comments here, 'just move', seem to be ignoring the fact that some smokers stand right outside entrances to places (or in bus shelters as someone else mentioned). I'm not convinced of making it illegal, but I think there should at least be signs up asking them not to smoke in those places, seeming as they're too inconsiderate to realise for themselves.

(Original post by russellsteapot)
Seems a bit ridiculous to be honest. I don't smoke (anymore) but the idea of policing where people can and cannot smoke outside is absurd. Particularly if someone is walking down the street in front of you. I can understand bans in places like bus shelters, hospital grounds, doorways and whatnot, but it's a road. If it's really upsetting you, cross the road and stop being so self-important. It's like saying that habitually smelly people shouldn't be allowed outside until they've had their pits and crotch sniffed by the Sweat Police.

Smokers don't need demonising any more than they are already. The smell of bubbling chip fat makes me feel mildly nauseous when I walk past a fish and chip shop. Close them all down just for me

The smell of chip fat won't really give you any health implications. Long term passive smoking however will ie: if you have to share the same bus shelter/train station with smokers day in/day out

Generally when people smoke, I'll keep my distance Or if someone smokes in my car, then I make sure the window is down
Silver Arrows
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chlorophile)
I'm suggesting they shouldn't be smoking at all. The air belongs to all of us and it isn't fair that they're forcing the rest of us to breathe in those disgusting carcinogenic fumes.
You can't simply ban people from smoking. Our air is filled with toxic fumes from cars, planes & farts anyway. It won't kill you.
Dr Alcoholic
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Stanno)

So what, it's a mild inconvenience? If you don't want to walk through the smoke, don't go in. The only person entitled to tell someone smoking at the entrance of a public place to move is the owner.
Tyrion_Lannister
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)

My aunt has lung cancer from passive smoking, she never smoked. She's 52 and terminal. Have some ****ing consideration. I have no problem with you smoking, but don't block pavements/entrances and do it.
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What if you work in a high street shop and you have a 30 minute break and haven't got time to wander away from where you work just to avoid people who walk past? I wouldn't cut into my precious breaktime for that.

That doesn't mean I don't think it should be avoided if possible though. I was smoking by an empty bus stop a few weeks ago and then a bunch of people turned up. I felt a bit awkward and walked off a bit.

I do normally use a pen these days but I will have a real one if someone offers.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (8)
10.53%
They've been reasonable (29)
38.16%
Not feeling great... (23)
30.26%
They are TERRIBLE! (16)
21.05%

Watched Threads