The Student Room Group

I hate A level Maths

So guys, I got a B in GSCE maths and i probably under achieved so i thought i would try A level maths, but i hate it. It's the only course i take that i genuinely hate. I've got a mock coming up and i'm certain that i'm going to get a U whilst in my other mocks i'm hoping for B's and A's. I'm not sure if i can drop it but if i did how much would affect my uni/employment chances (or am i thinking to deeply into this seeing its only AS)

Scroll to see replies

Im in same situation I got a B at gcse and doing a level people .I think people with Bs tend to do worse i think :/ but i like maths so its cool but its the hardest to grasp just takes time, just takes practise
(edited 10 years ago)
It will only affect your Uni/employment chances if you're planning to go into an area that requires Maths.
Reply 3
blasphemy

I got a B at GCSE as well but I got AA at AS-level Maths and Further Maths, can't really blame your GCSE grade, just need to pick up on the amount you do, practice makes perfect
I didn't really enjoy AS maths and I was adament that i'd drop it. But on my first few days of A2 i made a quick decision and decided to drop french (which I had wanted to do at uni) for maths!!! And I really enjoy it this year, like genuinly. So happy I chose it as its a nice break from all the research, reading, thinking and essay writing for history and english lit.

Keep going; having maths A Level is so good! Even though its hard, employers recognise and appreciate its value :smile:))
Reply 5
If you're doing C1 then that's why. C1 is incredibly boring IMO, but by the looks of it C2 gets a bit more interesting, feels like you're doing "real maths"
Original post by TajwarC
If you're doing C1 then that's why. C1 is incredibly boring IMO, but by the looks of it C2 gets a bit more interesting, feels like you're doing "real maths"

:ditto: C4 is the module I have found easiest!! C3 Trigonometry is beautiful though <3
Reply 7
Original post by puella_optima
:ditto: C4 is the module I have found easiest!! C3 Trigonometry is beautiful though <3

Haha, I even though I just started C2 I had a look at C3 trig today, seems fascinating
Reply 8

You won't say that when you meet vectors, integration, and differential equations.
Done differentiation, doing integration and just got vectors to go. I enjoy it more than I ever did C1 or C2 :smile:

I agree
Reply 11
If your having problems with A level maths watch HEGARTY MATHS videos on YouTube (www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS). He goes through all the topics in Edexcel A level maths however it is applicable to other exam boards. He also goes through past exam papers which is great for revision.
Original post by Jafar70
If your having problems with A level maths watch HEGARTY MATHS videos on YouTube (www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS). He goes through all the topics in Edexcel A level maths however it is applicable to other exam boards. He also goes through past exam papers which is great for revision.

:knuddel:

THANK.YOU. GOD IN TSR FORM.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
:knuddel:

THANK.YOU. GOD IN TSR FORM.

Your welcome but you should thank him. Mr.Hegarty is a genius.
Original post by TajwarC

Nope, C2 is even easier and even more boring than C1 in my opinion.

You only get to do "real maths" when you do a degree in the subject.
Original post by Mike_123
You won't say that when you meet vectors, integration, and differential equations.

Vectors... yeah. I have to agree with you there. But integration and differential equations are awesome! Sometimes substitutions can be a bit tricky, but that's part of the fun! :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
It will only affect your Uni/employment chances if you're planning to go into an area that requires Maths.

Will dropping Maths affect me bad if i want to do either Business or Economics in Uni, and the courses i want to do don't require a Maths A-Level. Despite this would it still affect my employment chances?? Or my Uni chances??
Reply 17
Original post by Robbie242
blasphemy

I got a B at GCSE as well but I got AA at AS-level Maths and Further Maths, can't really blame your GCSE grade, just need to pick up on the amount you do, practice makes perfect

Wow, they wouldn't let anyone that got a B do Further Maths at my college. 2 A's in Maths and Further Maths is amazing, how much daily revision did you do?
I got an A* at GCSE. I dropped 9 marks in the whole qualification. A-level, I got a D. Give up. It's soo difficult. I'd never recommend it to anyone. If you struggle at first year, it's impossible in second. I got a B for AS then dropped to a D overall. Get out whilst you can. That's my advice anyway. I really hated it.
Reply 19
Original post by Yonis_324
Wow, they wouldn't let anyone that got a B do Further Maths at my college. 2 A's in Maths and Further Maths is amazing, how much daily revision did you do?

I had to self teach further maths AS since they did not let me do it at my sixth form :tongue:. I did about 3-4hours everyday and loads on the weekend :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest