JustAPerson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I recently had my mock exams for my AS levels and they went VERY badly. I want to start revising from Monday so that way instead of revising two weeks before the exam, ill instead use that time to try past papers. My question is how should I revise? I need help with revising for RS, Business and English language and I've tried many methods to revise but they really are not working... I have a really bad memory and cannot even remember an essay... Any help?
Thank you.
RSmith1007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't do any of them subjects, but I would say do lots of past papers to make sure to exam technique is up to scratch and look at the mark scheme to see what the correct answer is and the examiners reports to see how you should have answered a question. Correct me if I'm wrong though anyone.
cookieesxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ugh same here for me recalling knowledge isn't so bad. I find if I make the goal to read my notes out loud at least 100x (has to be spread out, the longer the better, e.g 10x over 10 days) usually I will remember that material. The 'chunking' method helps sometimes, where you read the first bullet point or sentence while looking out loud then out loud without looking, repeat for next sentence then say first two together and so on (start afresh every 3 points). Then repeat later. I find this effective but it's very time consuming so I prefer the first method I mentioned.

My problem really isn't with the knowledge it's my exam technique. My exam technique is horrendously bad. I know the facts but just answer the questions awfully. I've just printed out various mark schemes and examiner reports so will try to follow that and attempt practice questions. My teacher recommended for me to do quick spider diagrams with the relevant key points and links before writing the essay and I found that this really helped so hopefully I can implement this regularly from now on.

From what I've learned after this tragedy it seems that A Levels are all about applied knowledge. Follow PEEL - Point, Evidence/Example, Explain, Link. The examiner reports seem to promote consistent links in essays so I will try to do that.

Hope this helped x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ciranore
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How i revised for RS last year and got an A

reading my textbook and highlighting main points and issues

copying out what I needed to learn and making notes

creating a mindmap with lots of detail

creating a mindmap with less detail

creating a mindmap with even less detail, which by then due to repetition

bit of a long winded process but within 3-4 days I had accurately learnt an entire topic.
OceanCat
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Justson)
how should I revise?
I love revision. Not because im clever,but because i finally know how to get the best results out of my revision.
First, tell yourself you love your subjects and tht you are clever at them even if you arent. Its proven that if you tell yourself something enough, your brain will believe it,making it easier for you to learn and remember.
Every morning go for a quick run... this gets the blood circulating...hence making learning an remembering easier.
During revision period, ensure you eat healthy. Have lots of nuts and drink milk.
Ensure you have a routine that you can stick too.
Drink plenty of water...you need to keep yourself dehydrated for the brain to work properly.
Take breaks in between revision.
Always ensure you treat yourself after completing a set amount of revision,,, .or after something you really find hard, and struggle with..
When you are learning, act as though you are the teacher, and learn it as thoug you are teaching. This is a tried and tested method where i used to go...and it really helps. So pretend you have a student, and teach what ou have to learn. This will get it set in the brain quicker.
Whatever you learnt the previous day, the following morning, do a quick recap without loking at your notes. Then, every weekend, go over the entire weeks revision (in quick mode) and if you can then do this for every monthaswell. this way you will have covered the same thing a number of times! Again, this is a tried an tested method, and a personal favourite.
As for ways t rvise, well only you know best how you learn. Some need noise, some people need pin drop silence, some need to be eating, some prefer to write notes, some prefer to talk out loud', some prefer to be moving around...whatevwr works best for you. If you dont know what does, try googling "what sort of a learner are you"
As for your subjects, i dont really know what board you are doing or what these subjects contain, so ask your teachers or classmates what they think is the best method to revise.
Good luck and hope you get the best results possible in your tests.
Remember my favourite quote" its mind over matter"
Even the word impossible says i'm possible
Never say cannot. Remembr you can do it.
Oh... and to boost yoursekf on a lazy day, inagine yourself walking out of the xam hall having completed he exam and being FREE at long last, having no stress at all... and then try imagining getting amazin results! My freinds always do this to kep up motivation, and i tel you, hell yes it really works.
Akso, i think i forgot t mention tjis, but ensure you have a good nightts sleep as this is the time tat your brai processes what younhave learnt and stores itbn long term memory.
Remember, if n doubt just ask....
OceanCat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh i forgo t mention are you a morng or evnngs person?
I find that this desnt matter much o me personally, as long as;
- if i rvise n the evenngs, i a quick overview in h mrnbgs and viceversa.
- if i revise in the mornngs, d a quick overview in the evenngs
JustAPerson
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thank you! All your answers have been really helpful. My exam board for Business and English language are AQA and RS is edexcel. I think I'm more of a morning person because as the day drags on, I become less and less productive.
First think to do is try that quiz and see how I learn^_^ thanks so much for the help<3
OceanCat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JustAPerson)
Thank you! All your answers have been really helpful. My exam board for Business and English language are AQA and RS is edexcel. I think I'm more of a morning person because as the day drags on, I become less and less productive.
First think to do is try that quiz and see how I learn^_^ thanks so much for the help<3
Your welcome...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.37%
I don't have everything I need (308)
43.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise