The Student Room Group

Smoking to be banned in all outdoor public places, town centres, streets, etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wilfred Little
Tis if it's true cos I'm not the one having asthma attacks, even though I'm a non smoker with asthma.

#js

To avoid the impending asthma attack.

and in the process get wet, possibly catch a cold? why should I do it because another person is being inconsiderate.

Original post by MostUncivilised
So you've never actually seen this for yourself?

I'm sorry, if the situation is as you've described it, it simply doesn't tally with plausible explanations of human nature. However, if I was standing somewhere having a cigarette, and you and your husband come out of nowhere, choose to stand next to me, you start melodramatically coughing and he demands I stub out my cigarette, I'd probably tell you to **** off too

If you want to avoid an asthma attack, then you know what you have to do. Unless you'd prefer to suffer the attack and enjoy the consequent outrage. I continue to believe that the "smirking" smoker is a figment of your imagination, a paranoid hallucination brought on by a desire to believe it's true

my husband has said this whilst I am next to him so I have seen it myself.

also my husband has never told anyone to stop smoking, merely to blow it in the opposite direction (and he checks first that no one is standing in that direction)

as for 'coming out of nowhere' most of the time, we were there first and the smoker is the one who 'came out of nowhere'

I know what to do and I have moved away far too often when I shouldn't have to. As I mentioned above, if I am in a bus stop and it's pouring it down with rain and all of a sudden a smoker comes, why should I be the one to move away when I was there first? Yes I don't want an asthma attack but why should I risk catching cold from standing on the rain?

finally I don't particularly care whether you think it was a pigment of my imagination or not, you didn't exactly see. fact remains I agree with OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15

as for 'coming out of nowhere' most of the time, we were there first and the smoker is the one who 'came out of nowhere'

So it happened once?

finally I don't particularly care whether you think it was a pigment of my imagination or not, you didn't exactly see. fact remains I agree with OP.

Pigment of your imagination, that is so adorable.
Original post by MostUncivilised
So it happened once?

Pigment of your imagination, that is so adorable.

actually I said most of the time. It happens quite a lot actually.

Anyway as I've said I don't really care about what you have to say, I am not trying to change your opinion but I also wouldn't change mine so this is pointless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it 'rustles my jimmies' because every single time a smoker blows a smoke in my general direction I end up with asthma attack and every single time the smoker shrugs their shoulder or smirks. it pisses me off because it affects me directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lmao i highly doubt walking past smokers causes you an Asthma attack. If so i'd imagine you get an asthma attack walking past a candle. I am also asthmatic btw.
Original post by Spetznaaz
Lmao i highly doubt walking past smokers causes you an Asthma attack. If so i'd imagine you get an asthma attack walking past a candle. I am also asthmatic btw.

as mentioned above I have severe asthma so yes it is quite possible. as for candle smoke, it has caused me to have coughing fits occasionally if the smoke hits me squarely in the face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't speak for everyone with asthma. The degree of response is dependent on the person. Walking past someone irritates me because of the smell. But you bet if you're sitting next to be at the bus stop I will have an asthma attack.

the smell on clothes in an enclosed room can start an asthma attack. I have had the privilege of seeing patients having a quick fag before having an eye test. Yeah... real considerate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think that's fair. If a person wants to smoke that is their choice. You can blatantly see someone smoking, so if you don't want to smell it, move away. I, in general, hate chart music but I still put up with it because I know others enjoy it. I don't drink but I still get texts and calls from friends at 4 am declaring their feelings and political views on things, or I have a neighbour shouting and screaming in the street for 'Bryony' to give him 'One last chance' because he'll 'be better this time!' he swears . There will always be things that you don't like but it doesn't mean you have to go all Nazi Germany on someone or a group of people.
Reply 67
and in the process get wet, possibly catch a cold?

rain doesn't cause colds ... a virus causes colds
Reply 68
First off, I'll say that I think smoking is a terrible habit. I don't smoke.

Original post by joebloggs434
.....at least it would if I was in charge.

I'm tired of smokers polluting outdoor public places with their filthy, dirty smoke with absolutely no regard for anyone. I'm also fed up of them littering the streets with their fag ends.

I propose that there should be a ban on smoking in all outdoor public places such as town centres, streets, platforms, etc.

Smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own home, or in a select number of designated smoking areas/shelters. That way, smokers can be kept away from people who don't want to breath their smoke, and our streets can be free from the horrible sight of cigarette ends on all the pavements.

I don't think that that's a good idea. I think the worst thing for smokers to do is to smoke inside their home. It devalues it. It makes the walls yellow, the smell lingers for ages. It's why when you rent a flat/house, often the landlord'll say no smoking. It ruins perfectly good buildings.

Every town and city should have street wardens who are paid to enforce these rules. Any smoker caught with a cigarette in public should be given a stern talking to about why it's wrong to smoke and the dangers it poses, followed by being given an on the spot fine.

Who here agrees with me?

Smokers tend to know that smoking is harmful on your health. It makes breathing difficult, and it raises the likelihood of developing certain health conditions, like the famous one - lung cancers, but also coronary heart disease, emphysema, COPD etc. Smokers know it's bad for you. So why do they do it? Well plenty of reasons, it's certainly not through lack of knowledge. They haven't suddenly forgotten.

The thing is, OP. Smoking is legal. It'd be pretty immoral for the government to suddenly start treating smokers really badly, when it's not against the law to smoke. If you're of age, you could go to the shop right now, and buy as many cigarettes as you want, nobody would stop you smoking to your heart's content. So you can't really punish them for any time they want to smoke this stuff. I think it's a fair compromise that they can't smoke in pubs, clubs and other indoor public areas. If someone smokes in pub you're in, you'd have to leave to escape the smell. If someone smokes outside, you can walk further away from them to avoid it, and that's not so bad.

I also think they shouldn't be allowed to smoke under bus shelters - some bus companies actually enforce this rule, and some considerate smokers actually already walk a small distance away from shelters when they want to smoke. Some however, just smoke under the shelter, so that everybody waiting for the bus with them is forced to cope with the smoke.

If the government made smoking illegal, then maybe you'd have a case. But then that would be pretty shocking to many people. People are addicted to nicotine. It's such a powerful vice, it'd be really cruel. The focus has to be on encouraging quitting, and preventing people starting in the first place through education and raising people out of poverty.
That wouldn't be a problem. Bob could just designate one room/area of his house to smoke in, away from his children.

You're not being serious right?

I hate smoking, but banning it everywhere except peoples' homes won't stop smoking and it is impossible to enforce.

Can you imagine the amount of wasted police time if they have to arrest or fine everyone they see smoking in public?
Reply 70
Original post by Emmah-Louise
I don't think that's fair. If a person wants to smoke that is their choice. You can blatantly see someone smoking, so if you don't want to smell it, move away. I, in general, hate chart music but I still put up with it because I know others enjoy it. I don't drink but I still get texts and calls from friends at 4 am declaring their feelings and political views on things, or I have a neighbour shouting and screaming in the street for 'Bryony' to give him 'One last chance' because he'll 'be better this time!' he swears . There will always be things that you don't like but it doesn't mean you have to go all Nazi Germany on someone or a group of people.

Although I agree with your conclusion, I do want to point out that smoking and listening to chart music aren't the same.

Smoking has negative effects on the health of the smoker, people nearby, it can raise the likelihood of the smoker's children taking up smoking, smoking-related illnesses create large expenditure through the NHS, it devalues buildings, creates litter.

Lots of problems. You can't really compare them.
It's threads like this that make me wonder why I bother moving away from bus stands or blowing my smoke away / holding it in if there are children about. I'm vilified without evidence.

**** it, from now on, I'm just going to blow smoke in all your faces.
Reply 72
Original post by xDave-
Really? I've never found that at all. I commonly get the situation where I'm walking along behind someone and they light up, so I have to jog past them so that I can breathe.

This seems like acceptable behaviour to me.. Although I think most smokers are considerate to people who aren't smoking, I also think that smokers shouldn't have to bend over backwards to light up.
Reply 73
Original post by Prandtl
This seems like acceptable behaviour to me.. Although I think most smokers are considerate to people who aren't smoking, I also think that smokers shouldn't have to bend over backwards to light up.

If you think it's acceptable to smoke near non-smokers, then we have a different idea of what being considerate is.
Reply 74
Original post by xDave-
If you think it's acceptable to smoke near non-smokers, then we have a different idea of what being considerate is.

How does a person walking along the street lighting up know that the person behind him is a non-smoker? Or even someone who gives a ****?
Original post by cid
rain doesn't cause colds ... a virus causes colds

it doesn't really help does it? also increases my chance of getting pneumonia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Prandtl
How does a person walking along the street lighting up know that the person behind him is a non-smoker? Or even someone who gives a ****?

Well, they could ask lol. You're the one saying that they're being considerate. Alternatively, they could just not do it, or stop and wait for them to go past. There seems to be plenty of simple options to me, none of which smokers seem to take.
Once again a flawed thread. If you dislike people smoking in public, the only real approach to stop it, is to ban the sale of cigarettes. As a smoker I pray for the day this happens. It is however misleading to say smoking costs the NHS, when the tax collected from the sale of cigarettes is exponentially larger than any costs absorbed by the NHS.

It's the tobacco companies and the government you should direct your displeasure at. Vilifying people who have developed an addiction (the vast majority from when the system was pro-smoking), is counter productive. It is more than simply removing an addictive chemical from the persons life, many of their psychological systems have continued to develop around them being a smoker. This is part of the reason smoking cessation has such a low success rate.

As I said previously, the best way to improve everybody's quality of life in regards to this topic is to ban the product all together.
Reply 78
Original post by xDave-
Well, they could ask lol. You're the one saying that they're being considerate. Alternatively, they could just not do it, or stop and wait for them to go past. There seems to be plenty of simple options to me, none of which smokers seem to take.

You're right, we probably do have different ideas of what being a considerate smoker would entail.
(edited 10 years ago)
Don't see a problem with this. I would be arrested if I walked through Oxford Street chugging at a bottle of wine in my hand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending