The Student Room Group

Smoking to be banned in all outdoor public places, town centres, streets, etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pane123
On this basis we should ban alcohol and all forms of junk food.

And gambling, prostitutes and extreme sports.

It's interesting that driftaway conceives that world to be a "utopia". What a dreary, lifeless, asinine world it would be. I suppose that is usually the way with utopias; they come after violent revolutions and you end up with something akin to Pol Pot's Year Zero.

Of course, when you question people like driftaway on their own lack of moral probity, it's always "after the revolution, comrade"
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by MostUncivilised
And alcohol, and gambling, and prostitutes.

It's interesting that driftaway conceives that world to be a "utopia". What a dreary, lifeless, asinine world it would be.

It sounds like Hell, but I always imagined Hell would provide a constant source of ignition for a cigarette. "Smokers should only be allowed to smoke in their own houses" is a statement I never expected to hear beyond primary school.

There was a similar thread not long ago, in which a girl proudly boasted of her habit of giving dirty looks to each and every smoker she comes across. Quite when this kind of behaviour became acceptable is beyond me.
Reply 102
Original post by driftawaay
It should be made illegal, period.... If it actually became illegal, people would just be forced to quit and after a while no one would crave it and future generations wouldn't be smokers.

Exactly! that's what they did with weed and look no one anywhere smokes it ever.
I think most smokers are reasonable except for family/friends who fill their cars with smoke whilst you're a passenger :frown:
Reply 104
Original post by Mourinho<3
I have to say this is something I find strange about this forum. All you see in the relationships section is "I have NEVER had a boy/girlfriend:frown:" yet these very same people who by their own admission have NO relationship experience are so quick to advise others on relationship issues:confused: If by not having any experience of something yourself you can still be in a position to give advice I am a midwife, F1 driver and astronaut who if anyone wants any help with quantum physics ask me-I am completely qualified to assist you with any queries. I have never had a baby, don't have a car nor ever studied physics past GCSE but a lack of experience is obviously not a barrier to giving advice:confused:

I've never made a thread but I'm one of these guys, I know how relationships work, I fully understand them to where I'm completely competent to give advice. I've just never put myself in that relationship situation.

OP though, smokers get it bad enough, most of the ones I know are proper part time nightclub social smoker scroungers but the addicts get hit hard already. Leave them alone.
Reply 105
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
But for the record, it's a simple fact by virtue of smokers being allowed to light up anywhere freely that a lot of establishments were less pleasant for it (oh hey look, air pollution, who fancies attempting to enjoy a meal or drink and socializing while inhaling poison?)

Well, no, that's clearly not a fact. It's a subjective judgement. I'm rather concerned you can't tell the difference.

You're right, if I didn't like it I needn't patronise their pub. But as it turned out a lot of people didn't either, I don't see any serious publicans, restaurateurs and other business owners (apart from perhaps tobacconists) lamenting the loss of the rancid smog. If they had the smoking ban would have found a much more contested birth.

Rather irrelevant. If publicans hadn't liked it, they were perfectly at liberty to ban smoking in their bars. Some, of course, did - notably the Wetherspoons chain.
Reply 106
Original post by driftawaay
It should be made illegal, period. The world doesn't need cigarettes, its only purpose is to get cancer and die. And spend a lot of money getting there. If it actually became illegal, people would just be forced to quit and after a while no one would crave it and future generations wouldn't be smokers.

Of course that would be utopia, it's never going to happen, because making money out of everything is the most important thing in the world. :rolleyes:

Need doesn't exist as an independent concept. You don't 'need' anything, unless there's a definable end to each.

Presumably you're all for banning alcohol, fatty foods and all that. I can only say it must be a rather miserable world you inhabit, where the narrow confines of bodily health come before personal pleasure.
Original post by Prandtl
Disagree. I find the majority of smokers are fairly considerate to non smokers and it's quite easy to avoid groups of smokers for prolonged periods if it bothers you that much. For the littering argument, you may as well argue banning chewing gum and all sorts of takeaway food as well.

Does chewing gum give you cancer?
Reply 108
Original post by Cyphrex
Does chewing gum give you cancer?

Did I prefix my mentioning of chewing gum with "For the littering argument,"..? Did I imply chewing gum did give people cancer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending