Course materials when withdrawn

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Lynda Thornton
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
Hi

I recently had to withdraw from a course which I had postponed from last year (after paying in
full). Does anyone know whether I am entitled to receive the full course materials since I've paid
already, even though I've officially withdrawn? I've already had some of the text books and other
stuff and I wanted to get the complete amount as I might read through it before re-doing the course
in the future.

What do people think about this - is there a legal question here of having paid for goods and
entitlement to them?

Lynda
Julie
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:39:48 +0000, Lynda Thornton <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Hi[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I recently had to withdraw from a course which I had postponed from last year (after paying in[/q1]
[q1]>full). Does anyone know whether I am entitled to receive the full course materials since I've paid[/q1]
[q1]>already, even though I've officially withdrawn? I've already had some of the text books and other[/q1]
[q1]>stuff and I wanted to get the complete amount as I might read through it before re-doing the course[/q1]
[q1]>in the future.[/q1]

If you have officially withdrawn from a deferred course then you aren't entitled to receive the
course materials.
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>What do people think about this - is there a legal question here of having paid for goods and[/q1]
[q1]>entitlement to them?[/q1]

The legal situation is clearly stated in the OU literature, to which you agreed when you signed up
for the course. I'm not sure why you have chosen to withdraw if you wanted the course materials.

Julie
Lynda Thornton
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In article <3atb5ucu9so934g38mlibt7iiol5lvk [email protected]>, Julie <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>On Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:39:48 +0000, Lynda Thornton <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>>Hi[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>I recently had to withdraw from a course which I had postponed from last year (after paying in[/q2]
[q2]>>full). Does anyone know whether I am entitled to receive the full course materials since I've paid[/q2]
[q2]>>already, even though I've officially withdrawn? I've already had some of the text books and other[/q2]
[q2]>>stuff and I wanted to get the complete amount as I might read through it before re-doing the[/q2]
[q2]>>course in the future.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>If you have officially withdrawn from a deferred course then you aren't entitled to receive the[/q1]
[q1]>course materials.[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>>What do people think about this - is there a legal question here of having paid for goods and[/q2]
[q2]>>entitlement to them?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>The legal situation is clearly stated in the OU literature, to which you agreed when you signed up[/q1]
[q1]>for the course. I'm not sure why you have chosen to withdraw if you wanted the course materials.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Julie[/q1]

Because I had a baby last July and I can't manage to study effectively at the moment with not
sleeping through the night and a demanding 6-month old, and I don't see why I'm not entitled to
course materials that I've already paid for! The OU's fees are all up front and include the books
and materials, so if a person has already paid what is the argument that says they shouldn't get
what they've paid for? I would actually like the opportunity to at least read through the literature
and other materials before re-taking the course in the future, and it cost me several hundred pounds
- it shouldn't cost the OU anything more to send them on to me.

Hope that's clarified things for you.

Lynda
Cob
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In article of Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Lynda Thornton <[email protected]> writes

[q1]>In article <3atb5ucu9so934g38mlibt7iiol5lvk [email protected]>, Julie <[email protected]> writes[/q1]
[q2]>>The legal situation is clearly stated in the OU literature, to which you agreed when you signed up[/q2]
[q2]>>for the course. I'm not sure why you have chosen to withdraw if you wanted the course materials.[/q2]

[q1]>Because I had a baby last July and I can't manage to study effectively at the moment with not[/q1]
[q1]>sleeping through the night and a demanding 6-month old, and I don't see why I'm not entitled to[/q1]
[q1]>course materials that I've already paid for![/q1]

I can't speak for Julie but I think she may have meant that it would have been better NOT to
withdraw, then the course materials would have turned up and you could have done what you liked with
them, you wouldn't actually have to do the course.

Can you clarify when you originally paid for the course and when you initially withdrew - was it
last year and the fees were held over until this year?

--
Regards Colette
Lynda Thornton
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In article <[email protected] .co.uk>, COB <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>In article of Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Lynda Thornton <[email protected]> writes[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>>In article <3atb5ucu9so934g38mlibt7iiol5lvk [email protected]>, Julie <[email protected]> writes[/q2]
[q3]>>>The legal situation is clearly stated in the OU literature, to which you agreed when you signed[/q3]
[q3]>>>up for the course. I'm not sure why you have chosen to withdraw if you wanted the course[/q3]
[q3]>>>materials.[/q3]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]>>Because I had a baby last July and I can't manage to study effectively at the moment with not[/q2]
[q2]>>sleeping through the night and a demanding 6-month old, and I don't see why I'm not entitled to[/q2]
[q2]>>course materials that I've already paid for![/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I can't speak for Julie but I think she may have meant that it would have been better NOT to[/q1]
[q1]>withdraw, then the course materials would have turned up and you could have done what you liked[/q1]
[q1]>with them, you wouldn't actually have to do the course.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Can you clarify when you originally paid for the course and when you initially withdrew - was it[/q1]
[q1]>last year and the fees were held over until this year?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
I didn't want to stay on the course and not do the work - I'd get zilch marks and as I am doing the
named Psychology degree and have done well so far I didn't want to jeopardise it. I had to postpone
the course from last year and I would have had to pay another £90 to take it up again this year but
haven't been charged that as I withdrew in time.
Julie
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:49:51 +0000, COB <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>I can't speak for Julie but I think she may have meant that it would have been better NOT to[/q1]
[q1]>withdraw, then the course materials would have turned up and you could have done what you liked[/q1]
[q1]>with them, you wouldn't actually have to do the course.[/q1]

Yep, that is what I meant :-)

Julie
Cob
Badges:
Report 18 years ago
In article of Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Lynda Thornton <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>I didn't want to stay on the course and not do the work - I'd get zilch marks and as I am doing the[/q1]
[q1]>named Psychology degree and have done well so far I didn't want to jeopardise it.[/q1]

Well, too late now but you don't have to count a course towards anything, it wouldn't have mattered.
Even if you plan to do the course some time in the future, you could have withdrawn after you
received the last batch of materials.

[q1]>I had to postpone the course from last year and I would have had to pay another £90 to take it up[/q1]
[q1]>again this year but haven't been charged that as I withdrew in time.[/q1]

I see. Well, you might be able to pick up a second-hand set of materials, lots of students like to
sell them, and it would probably cost you less than that £90. There are often adverts for this in
the back of Sesame magazine. Remember though that depending on how often the course material
changes, the second-hand ones might be slightly out of date.

The OU also sell course materials directly on their web site, but these are expensive - it would
have been cheaper to pay the £90.
--
Regards Colette
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.25%
No (599)
65.75%

Watched Threads