The Student Room Group

Uni Meltdown

Hi there. I'm looking into courses for religion/theology courses with a secondary education tie-in(during or after), however, i am a little underqualified due to some mental health issues during my last two years of high school.

I have below average marks in some of my exams, english and maths are at int 2, C and my highest qualification is a higher in music( a b, not counting units at advanced higher). Is there anything anyone can suggest? Should i push my grades up first and then apply? If so what would you recommend? The only other thing i should think to mention is that i've been told i will not be funded for hnc anymore. I had some problems with my course last year, which, in all honesty, sucked. However, i'm trying to pull things together. I'm based between paisley and greenock(port glasgow) so a college/uni sugfestion would have to be close by.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Reply 1
Well I'm not sure if you are keen on staying in the UK but KU Leuven in Belgium is an excellent place to study theology or philosophy and they let almost everyone in, and its up to you to pass. Check it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It definitely looks like a good course. My only problem is with funding. I know that saas won't fund it(i checked to be on the safe side). But the only notes on funding from Leuven are about doctoral grants etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Growhart
It definitely looks like a good course. My only problem is with funding. I know that saas won't fund it(i checked to be on the safe side). But the only notes on funding from Leuven are about doctoral grants etc.

Average tuition is 500-1000 euros a year. Living is a bit more but its much cheaper than the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
That's actually not so bad. I shall have to seriously think about this. Thank you very much. Do you have any sort of advice about it? (Are you aprevious student or...?)
Reply 5
That's actually not so bad. I shall have to seriously think about this. Thank you very much. Do you have any sort of advice about it? (Are you aprevious student or...?)

I toured it this October and it is by far one of the most underrated universities.

It's big, lots if students with tons of internationals (some 10 thousand). A very fun city.

Anything in particular your worried about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Other than how i'll handle paying for it all(the course fees i can do, but paying for the halls of residence would be difficult without thinking food, transport, or any of the rest of the expenses), probably the language barrier.

I think it'd be an amazing opportunity, i'm sure i can find a way to get into it.
Reply 7
Other than how i'll handle paying for it all(the course fees i can do, but paying for the halls of residence would be difficult without thinking food, transport, or any of the rest of the expenses), probably the language barrier.

I think it'd be an amazing opportunity, i'm sure i can find a way to get into it.

Apparently they offer very cheap intense dutch classes in august before term begins. According to everyone else you don't need to learn dutch cause everyone speaks English.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply