The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

10 A*s - a miracle since I didn't really revise and had 15 exams in two weeks.
Reply 2
does it matter?
Reply 3
9A* 1A... And via a LOT of hard work and revision! Though I intended to start in March I freaked and didn't end up properly revising until after the Easter holidays in April ...
I got 0.
I'm presuming a D* in Dance BTEC doesn't count.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
No, I didn't, and I'm still at university. A's don't really matter unless you aim for Oxbridge, and especially in university terms, A levels are much more important than GCSEs. C+ is more than adequate for most routes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
11A*s [along with 2 As] but really, GCSEs don't mean much, just ensure that your work ethic remains high throughout your A-levels!
Reply 7
Original post by Foreverneek
10 A*s - a miracle since I didn't really revise and had 15 exams in two weeks.

Wow that's great! Wish I could achieve that
Reply 8
Original post by JPL9457
does it matter?

Well I'm not forcing you to answer.
3A*, 5A, 3C (2 of which were in subjects nobody cares about like Textiles).

In real life those are considered amazing grades, but on TSR I may as well be the village idiot.
Reply 10
Original post by JCM
No, I didn't, and I'm still at university. A's don't really matter unless you aim for Oxbridge, and especially in university terms, A levels are much more important than GCSEs. C+ is more than adequate for most routes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I'm aiming for Oxford actually, but not sure I'd get in since I won't have many A*s. But I agree, A levels are much more important.
Original post by lianaist
Well I'm not forcing you to answer.

No but you are penalising others and lowering people self-esteem!
Reply 12
Original post by snowyowl

In real life those are considered amazing grades, but on TSR I may as well be the village idiot.

No you're right, they are amazing grades and you should be proud of yourself :smile:
Wow that's great! Wish I could achieve that

I worked for some and not for others. I think it's all about prioritising: I didn't revise for English - I read the texts and that was it - but for maths I put loads more effort in. Know your strengths/weaknesses and what revision methods work best for you and exam time will definitely be less stressful - good luck!
10A*s, I don't know why some schools put students in for so many, just to make their stats look better. For the student it's quality over quantity that matters. For places that care about GCSEs (Oxford and medicine courses being the main ones) they either look at A*% or top 8 grades or so.
Original post by snowyowl

I know exactly what you mean about some people on TSR who call these 'bad grades'. To me, your grades are AMAZING. Congrats :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by LiamMcMorrow
No but you are penalising others and lowering people self-esteem!

And how am I doing that exactly? I don't understand why people have to get so defensive over these threads. I'm not penalising anyone. The only thing I had in mind when posting this was to start a discussion. I wanted to hear how others achieved their grades. How is that penalising others and lowering their self-esteem? If they feel like that then they shouldn't click on it in the first place, or even reply to the thread. Your accusation is stupid and not very well thought-out.
Reply 17
5A*s 5As scraped the bare minimum I wanted tbh. With consistent work and reading ahead of your class you can easily get 10A*s or so, doesn't take a genius
Well I'm aiming for Oxford actually, but not sure I'd get in since I won't have many A*s. But I agree, A levels are much more important.

I applied for Oxford this year and got rejected so A*s aren't everything. They'll get you an interview in combination with good AS grades/entrance exam score/reference and personal statement. Grades are a small part of a complex application. With Oxford the interview and your academic interests are more important - decent grades at GCSE (not necessarily all A*s) and good AS results will be sufficient to get you to the stage that really matters!
Reply 19

As I said, A levels are much more important, so I wouldn't worry about the amount of A*s at GCSE level too much. Have a look at the required grades for the course you're looking at doing, but be aware the boundaries may change in the future, for good or ill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest