This discussion is closed.
colourtheory
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alexmufc1995)
Of course, but GCSEs have higher priority, at least for Oxford anyway.
They really don't, A Levels are a far more accurate measure of you abilities than some exams you sat at 15/16! I know of people who were rejected with 8A*'s at GCSE while others had 1 or 2, interviews and subject tests are more important than GCSE These myths tend to put people off applying
alexmufc1995
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by x__justmyluck)
Yes but you won't get in if you don't get your A level grades, I do know how Oxford admissions work, you're not the only person to have ever gotten an offer.
The A Level grades on the offer? Isn't that the same for all universities?

Cool, what course are you doing?
Le Nombre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This couldn't be more stereotypically TSR

Think I got 9 but we did some half GCSEs and stuff which I don't remember the detail of so could be one either way.
User1280516
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by colourtheory)
Thanks I had 2A*'s 7A's and 2B's at GCSE and AABC at AS and predicted A*AA (although the A* is far fetched in my opinion)... I made a technical error in the exam so received a B for Art History, but managed 80/80 for the first paper which they took into account. My C was in Chemistry which doesn't relate to my degree (History) so they didn't mind that at all. Basically Oxford care more about the subject entrance test and interview performance than some wobbly grades, so I would recommend anyone giving it a go!
This is really nice to hear. Not sure if it would be the same for a law degree wouldn't hurt in trying though!
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
9A* and A in FSMQ - worked pretty hard and got lucky.
alexmufc1995
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by colourtheory)
They really don't, A Levels are a far more accurate measure of you abilities than some exams you sat at 15/16! I know of people who were rejected with 8A*'s at GCSE while others had 1 or 2, interviews and subject tests are more important than GCSE These myths tend to put people off applying
Subject tests and interviews are definitely more important than GCSEs.

I don't think the 'myths' are intended to put people off - just to be realistic with their university choices?
colourtheory
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lianaist)
This is really nice to hear. Not sure if it would be the same for a law degree wouldn't hurt in trying though!
It really wouldn't hurt, the worst case is that you get rejected, the best case - offer!!
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The A Level grades on the offer? Isn't that the same for all universities?

Cool, what course are you doing?
Many universities will let you in if you miss by a grade, they are also more likely to give you an offer even if your predicted grades are below the offer. Oxford are not as flexible as they can afford to run courses with fewer students.

I'm a first year studying Experimental Psychology, which subject and college is your offer for?
LeJennifleur
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I'm a first year studying Experimental Psychology, which subject and college is your offer for?
Aah, I've got an offer for Experimental Psychology! Which college are you at?
alexmufc1995
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Many universities will let you in if you miss by a grade, they are also more likely to give you an offer even if your predicted grades are below the offer. Oxford are not as flexible as they can afford to run courses with fewer students.

I wasn't aware of that - I thought if you missed your offer, you didn't get in for that Uni.

Mathematics and Philosophy at Pembroke What were your grades, if you don't mind me asking?
Jam'
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
4 A*s 2As 5Bs
lifelonged
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
TSR is a bit of a den of outliers, possibly selection bias. It must be hard these days as many people get strings of As/A*s. I say some O levels early, got As and Bs. Was one of the early years to do GCSEs, got 11 As (no need for A* back then) and 1 B. This was exceptional at my school, but now I'd be one of many. I feel sorry for those who really struggle, who aren't academic, or don't try (less sorry for them). It must be hard on results day if you don't get your 5A-C grades when others are holding a till receipt of A* grades.

In the O level days the newspaper list of local results just had a number after your name. This was the number of O levels that you passed. Anything over 5 was classed at pretty good. There were two people in my school who had 7 or above.

I can see why some people get a complex reading these pages, but that's life. Some people do very well, some don't.
Foreverneek
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lianaist)
Sorry to hear that. And thanks for taking the time to answer, made me feel better actually! I guess GCSE grades aren't that important but it's still good to be on the safe side haha
I applied and got rejected - it was a risk but I'm glad that I applied : the experience was phenomenal. No worries, I was intimidated by Oxford's application process and was convinced I wouldn't get an interview but once I got there I realised even though it's prestigious and has an amazing reputation it's very 'normal': the people were lovely and the admissions procedure, although rigid, allowed for 'lower' grades and the occasional mistake - a lot of people, including myself, had a 'c' grade in some of our ASs, some didn't have great GCSEs, some retook their AS year. It's a lot less intimidating if you get there! GCSEs are important but people over think them way too much, yes getting all A*s will help but getting As/Bs and the occasional C won't be detrimental to your application or future.
Lord Frieza
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by snowyowl)
3A*, 5A, 3C (2 of which were in subjects nobody cares about like Textiles).

In real life those are considered amazing grades, but on TSR I may as well be the village idiot.
Those are amazing grades
JCM
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This can't be true; predicted grades are made in October/November of the year before you sit the exams. They can fluctuate a lot, especially if the applicant has extra motivation, let's say... an offer from Oxford :L

GCSE grades are set in stone by this stage - a true reflection of ability.
GCSEs are, in no uncertain terms, definitely not a true reflection of ability. I made a complete cats arse of my GCSEs, yet I worked hard and passed my AS and A levels with comparative flying colours. I am now at university, and on course for at least a 2:1.

You're only as good as your last examination. If anyone fails GCSEs, it is not the end of the world. It makes things a little more complicated, but there are still routes to take.
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For UK applicants:
Everyone sits them.
There's a core set of compulsory subjects (maths, english, science) which are applied to all degree courses.
Grades are final - at A Level you could have a C at AS, then with full marks get an A*!!!
In the admissions test (at least for maths) they add your test score to the number of A* at GCSE!

Surely that's enough reasons? :P
No. It's a result of natural ability AND effort in most cases. Neither A Levels/GCSEs are the best indicators of ability. Admissions tests are a far better indicator - of course, people have bad days...like I did with the MAT...
kpofsuburbia
  • Study Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
2 A*s in Biology and Chemistry, but because I was studying Additional Science it got combined with Physics (C) so I ended up with an A overall. A*s in my English coursework though (before my exams).

Posted from TSR Mobile
mooomooo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
10A*s and 3 As.. though only through a combination of dumb luck and entire revision guides crammed into my short term memory.
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
2, although this was back in 2007.
x__justmyluck
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LeJennifleur)
Aah, I've got an offer for Experimental Psychology! Which college are you at?
I'm at Catz which college is your offer from?

I wasn't aware of that - I thought if you missed your offer, you didn't get in for that Uni.

Mathematics and Philosophy at Pembroke What were your grades, if you don't mind me asking?
I got A*A*A a*aaa. Good luck with your A levels .
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (330)
46.15%
No (78)
10.91%
I'm not old enough (307)
42.94%

Watched Threads