JackNorman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Received my physics mock exam results(I'm taking both AS and A2 this year) and I got 76% UMS in the A2 paper, and 94% UMS in the AS paper (one really, really, really stupid mistake that lost me 4 marks). I didn't revise for these mock exams because I wanted to know how I could do without revising, and then I could see what my strong and weak points are afterwards. Anyway, I was wondering if I should bother aiming for an A* in physics or not.
Thanks
puella_optima
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Umm..yes?!
Namige
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JackNorman)
Received my physics mock exam results(I'm taking both AS and A2 this year) and I got 76% UMS in the A2 paper, and 94% UMS in the AS paper (one really, really, really stupid mistake that lost me 4 marks). I didn't revise for these mock exams because I wanted to know how I could do without revising, and then I could see what my strong and weak points are afterwards. Anyway, I was wondering if I should bother aiming for an A* in physics or not.
Thanks
A really silly question, only you could possibly know that.
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
With revision, it is obviously possible.

Just be careful though because physics papers often have one or two questions with very strange contexts and situations in. It can be very tricky to get the A*
Super199
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is this a joke lmaoo
0xygen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why would you even ask that question? People these days... Sheesh
391iady
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks
Yes you should. Do 2 past papers for each without revising. Then revise the topics you lost even a single mark on.
JackNorman
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheBBQ)
With revision, it is obviously possible.

Just be careful though because physics papers often have one or two questions with very strange contexts and situations in. It can be very tricky to get the A*
Thanks for a proper answer, I forgot to mention this as just the first unit of AS and A2. And I know how hard it it is to get an A*, the second unit in A2 is much bigger and more difficult, this is what I'm not sure of, and getting 90% ums in both seems really difficult. Thanks again.
TheBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks for a proper answer, I forgot to mention this as just the first unit of AS and A2. And I know how hard it it is to get an A*, the second unit in A2 is much bigger and more difficult, this is what I'm not sure of, and getting 90% ums in both seems really difficult. Thanks again.
Aim for it, then the lowest you can get is an A. Sometimes with the dodgy mark schemes its just luck to get the A*.
TheBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Aim for it, then the lowest you can get is an A. Sometimes with the dodgy mark schemes its just luck to get the A*.
JackNorman
Rep:
?
A dodgy mark scheme is a possibility. I'm doing OCR A and the second unit of A2 has only been a round a couple of years, and that doesn't leave much in the way of past papers either
TheBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A dodgy mark scheme is a possibility. I'm doing OCR A and the second unit of A2 has only been a round a couple of years, and that doesn't leave much in the way of past papers either
I'm on AQA A and in a paper it said to explain using first principles why ac current is needed for a transformer to work. But you actually got no marks for explaining why, you only got the marks for saying that ac current is needed for an alternating magnetic field and dc doesn't do this. Absolutely stupid.
JackNorman
Rep:
?
I'm on AQA A and in a paper it said to explain using first principles why ac current is needed for a transformer to work. But you actually got no marks for explaining why, you only got the marks for saying that ac current is needed for an alternating magnetic field and dc doesn't do this. Absolutely stupid.
OCR A doesn't seem too bad really, but as I said with it being a new spec it will probably still be flawed
JoshBedford
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
AQA A Physics is a ridiculous mark scheme.
JackNorman
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaNick)
At least u wont be doing OCR B

OCR ******* B.

WHY?!
What's so bad about it? Hahaha
TheBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JoshBedford)
AQA A Physics is a ridiculous mark scheme.
Yeah, they can be really picky or stupid sometimes, which makes it incredibly difficult to get the A* in some papers..
tanyapotter
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
........of course you should?!
JoshBedford
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, they can be really picky or stupid sometimes, which makes it incredibly difficult to get the A* in some papers..
Picky mark schemes have cost me something like 20 marks where a question says to 'explain' an idea, and then expects wildly unrelated answers.
TheBBQ
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JoshBedford)
Picky mark schemes have cost me something like 20 marks where a question says to 'explain' an idea, and then expects wildly unrelated answers.
I'm pretty certain that examiners are just doing it to annoy us and make sure that not many people get the high grades..
Xscape
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no cud u plz aim 4 a c thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads