The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Game Art Design De Montfort University 2014

EDIT: WE HAVE A GROUP PAGE FOR PEOPLE WITH OFFERS FOR GAME ART DESIGN 2014!! JOIN USSSSSSSSSSSS (We have cookies) ---->> https://www.facebook.com/groups/197533753789764/ <<---- (REQUEST TO JOIN BUTTON AVAILABLE)

Hi all! After reading through the old 2012/2013 forum thread for Game Art Design, I thought it'd be a good idea to make a new thread!
Here we can discuss interview & portfolio stuff, get to know eachother a bit before we start (if we all get in! fingers crossed :P).

I'm Lily, currently doing Art Foundation. I've had my eyes set on DMU for a few years now & I'm finally applying :smile:

Introduce yourselves!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If all goes well i should be at dmu this september....I was given an offer last year from dmu but decided instead to take a year out...if anyone has questions about the interview then I guess I could provide some answers...
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by HarviSingh
If all goes well i should be at dmu this september....I was given an offer last year from dmu but decided instead to take a year out...if anyone has questions about the interview then I guess I could provide some answers...

I'd like to hear about it! :P
whatever details you can remember, what portfolio did they like most? what questions they asked? o:
Reply 3
In reply to your post on another thread, I've only uploaded 4 pieces of my latest work to Deviant Art, the rest of the stuff I have on there are things I did in the past that I won't be showing :P Haven't made an online portfolio yet.

I've had a couple of life drawing sessions at college, only had a female model so far. And one session a few students took turns being the model (fully clothed) xD

This is one of my life drawings of a fellow student:
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/012/c/6/untitled_by_lilydunn-d71x0iv.jpg
Reply 4
lol tbh, i really think my interview went bad...i made the mistake of including old work that didnt reflect on my ability at the time (the idea was to show them how much id progressed.lmao).One of the main reasons I didnt accept my offer was because I didnt want to get in based on an interview I thought went really bad (sounds stupid, but i guess my pride got in the way xD)

..so, first piece of advice would be to make sure ur work is up to date/ something that is going to make a good first impression in an interview.

in general, walking away from the interview id say, make sure you definitely have sketches drawn from life (life drawing sessions, observational, landscapes etc) as well as creative stuff like your own character designs (talking about ur thought process about ur work is something they seemed to appreciate)...and ofcourse include any 3d or digital 2d work aswell.

also, those of u that live close to Leicester are going to have a loong wait, as they let people who live further away interview first...i live in nottingham so i was like one of the last people to interview. gonna take in a pillow next time

questions were the generic, "why do u want to be on our course", "whats your ideal job role in a games studio", "what do you know about our course"...those are the ones i can remember...if u let ur enthusiasm for art and games shine through, u should be good
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks for all the tips! :smile: and I understand why you're take the year out after an interview like that, I think it was an admirable move!

I'm not really farmiliar with talking about thought processes.. I think I'll have to go over that with some of my college tutors.

I've been thinking of going to a big museum to draw things from life there, hopefully I'll get the chance before my interview!

Who was interviewing you? :smile: courseleader or someone else?
Reply 6
Original post by Lily_D
Thanks for all the tips! :smile: and I understand why you're take the year out after an interview like that, I think it was an admirable move!

I'm not really farmiliar with talking about thought processes.. I think I'll have to go over that with some of my college tutors.

I've been thinking of going to a big museum to draw things from life there, hopefully I'll get the chance before my interview!

Who was interviewing you? :smile: courseleader or someone else?

Say for example if u were talking about a character design, talk about influences, maybe u looked at old samurai armour or 1950's fasion or something... maybe a little backstory or something? if u like the design or not...

yeah, wish nottingham had some decent museums so that i could draw sculptures n stuff..hmmm, the person who interviewed me was an old-ish woman xD...no idea who she was, sorry
Reply 7
Say for example if u were talking about a character design, talk about influences, maybe u looked at old samurai armour or 1950's fasion or something... maybe a little backstory or something? if u like the design or not...

yeah, wish nottingham had some decent museums so that i could draw sculptures n stuff..hmmm, the person who interviewed me was an old-ish woman xD...no idea who she was, sorry

Ahh I see.. gonna have to note down where I get all my inspiration from in the future xD
Do you have any bug museums? :smile: might be good to draw insects, or anything really.. I live in the countryside of South Wales xD so there's no museums near me.. Some great views, though!
Reply 8
Original post by Lily_D
Ahh I see.. gonna have to note down where I get all my inspiration from in the future xD
Do you have any bug museums? :smile: might be good to draw insects, or anything really.. I live in the countryside of South Wales xD so there's no museums near me.. Some great views, though!

i dont think we have any "proper" museums, just places like nottingham castle...ur lucky, drawing some of those sights would be pretty fun...

which accommodation are u thinking of applying for btw?...have u been to an open day?
Reply 9
i dont think we have any "proper" museums, just places like nottingham castle...ur lucky, drawing some of those sights would be pretty fun...

which accommodation are u thinking of applying for btw?...have u been to an open day?

I've been to an open day, but didn't get a chance to look at the accoomodations.. I'd like to have an en-suite :P I'll have to have alook at the places.
Reply 10
Just had a look at the accommodations, think I'd like to be in Liberty Park :smile:
How about you?
Reply 11
Original post by Lily_D
Just had a look at the accommodations, think I'd like to be in Liberty Park :smile:
How about you?

I kinda wanna go for the more expensive ones...Room size+ en suite is just too tempting.

I'll probably head down to another open day just to take a look at all of the of them
Reply 12
I kinda wanna go for the more expensive ones...Room size+ en suite is just too tempting.

I'll probably head down to another open day just to take a look at all of the of them

OOoohh how do you get a bigger room size? :smile: what's it called?
do you know if there's a way of booking to be in the same flat as specific people? I'd rather be with people doing animation & game art design xD or something similar.. with other people I'm worried I just won't fit in :P
Reply 13
Original post by Lily_D
OOoohh how do you get a bigger room size? :smile: what's it called?
do you know if there's a way of booking to be in the same flat as specific people? I'd rather be with people doing animation & game art design xD or something similar.. with other people I'm worried I just won't fit in :P

U can apply specifically for certain room sizes if im not mistaken...im wondering the same thing about whether we can choose a specific person...

dont worry, im sure ull fit in...unless u have like an extra toe or nipple or something...
Reply 14
U can apply specifically for certain room sizes if im not mistaken...im wondering the same thing about whether we can choose a specific person...

dont worry, im sure ull fit in...unless u have like an extra toe or nipple or something...

LOLOLOLOL well if i had an extra nipple i don't think they'd know x'DD
i just want to be grouped with people who have similar interests to me.. so an art student or music student.. :P
Reply 15
Spoke to a third year, so I'm sharing this info with everyone.
He told me that Newarke Point & Mansion Court are the best accommodations to live in. Newarke Point if you want an en-suite :smile:
I've got my interview at DMU for this course next week, i'm really excited!
The course if definitely one of my favourites
Reply 17
Original post by Sean_Gorman
I've got my interview at DMU for this course next week, i'm really excited!
The course if definitely one of my favourites

Wow! :biggrin: good luck!! Tell us how it went after hahah :smile:
When did you hear from them when your interview would be? o: Did they only give you a weeks notice or..?
Original post by Lily_D
Wow! :biggrin: good luck!! Tell us how it went after hahah :smile:
When did you hear from them when your interview would be? o: Did they only give you a weeks notice or..?

Thank you! I heard from them the very beginning of January, around three weeks ago now, my interview is for the 6th February :smile: so they have been quite generous in my case, which I am grateful for because they have hundreds of applicants!
Reply 19
Original post by Sean_Gorman
Thank you! I heard from them the very beginning of January, around three weeks ago now, my interview is for the 6th February :smile: so they have been quite generous in my case, which I am grateful for because they have hundreds of applicants!

I was told they usually get 360 - 380 applicants a year D:
Agh! I hope I get an interview at the very least xD

You fully prepared for yours? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending