The Student Room Group

can your nominated referee see your personal statement on the ucas website

hi,does anyone know if your nominated referee can see the personal statement section of your ucas application? I want to put my employer as a referee but don't want them to see the personal statement section as I feel its private.
Original post by cw0290
hi,does anyone know if your nominated referee can see the personal statement section of your ucas application? I want to put my employer as a referee but don't want them to see the personal statement section as I feel its private.

Sorry, but yes.
Reply 2
Hi, may I ask how you know this. On the application page it states the referee will be linked to the referencing section but does not state that they can browse other sections. I'm applying for a foundation programme so do you think I even need a referee?
Reply 3
Leave the PS section blank, wait for your referee to upload their reference, then upload your PS. My referee didn't see my PS (or choices) this way.
Reply 4
Original post by cw0290
Hi, may I ask how you know this. On the application page it states the referee will be linked to the referencing section but does not state that they can browse other sections. I'm applying for a foundation programme so do you think I even need a referee?

The referee can see whatever is filled out.

Read the whole application so you understand their intended career path, chosen courses and preferred places of study.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/advisers-and-referees/referees/undergraduate
Original post by cw0290

I know it because I'm a sixth form tutor. It's the referee's responsibility to check that the information is correct. It's a very important responsibility and one which schools don't take lightly. If you are a private candidate, you may be able to persuade your referee to say they've seen it all and it's correct, but the fact that you don't trust yours to see your ps suggests an awkward relationship. You won't get to see what they put unless they actively show it to you. You might want to pick someone you trust more. An application is not complete without a reference, btw.
Reply 6
ok thank you for your comments
Reply 7
After conducting thorough research, I can confirm that if you apply as an individual your referee cannot see any details of your personal statement.
Original post by Juno
After conducting thorough research, I can confirm that if you apply as an individual your referee cannot see any details of your personal statement.

Is that right? Well, I never. We never process any individual candidates, of course, since it's a school, but I am surprised it's different, since the role of the referee is the same. You live and learn.
Reply 9
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Is that right? Well, I never. We never process any individual candidates, of course, since it's a school, but I am surprised it's different, since the role of the referee is the same. You live and learn.

I just created myself a UCAS account, and then gave myself a reference. "My referee" was shown the applicant's name and address, and asked to confirm they knew them well enough to give a reference, but that was it. My referee was also asked to watch a video and confirm they knew the terms and conditions.
Original post by Juno
I just created myself a UCAS account, and then gave myself a reference. "My referee" was shown the applicant's name and address, and asked to confirm they knew them well enough to give a reference, but that was it. My referee was also asked to watch a video and confirm they knew the terms and conditions.

That's very enterprising of you.
Reply 11
Original post by Juno

Ah, that's brilliant. Thanks for letting me know.
Reply 12
That's very enterprising of you.

That's such a teacherish thing to say

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Juno

blimey

Well I've just double checked and that is not something made clear to universities by UCAS (ie they imply that all applications including individual are checked by their referee).

The data protection statement also includes referee as someone who is allowed to see the content of applications

Original post by Juno
That's such a teacherish thing to say

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was meant kindly.
Original post by PQ
blimey

Well I've just double checked and that is not something made clear to universities by UCAS (ie they imply that all applications including individual are checked by their referee).

There are quite a few implications to this, I would imagine, in my innocence/ignorance.
Reply 16
Original post by cw0290

do you have to list all of your qualifications like gcse grades, when applying for a foundation course or do you only enter the relevant qualifications to the course in?
Reply 17
Original post by glo420
do you have to list all of your qualifications like gcse grades, when applying for a foundation course or do you only enter the relevant qualifications to the course in?

everything.

Read the stickies
e.g. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3538633

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending