How can I get an A*? Watch

jacksonmeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
heya, im doing A2s this year and I want to get an A* in chemistry, what would be the best revision techniques and things? i'm doing OCR
in AS I got 79/90, 127/150 and 45/60 so an A overall

thanks
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
davidtyoember
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jacksonmeg)
heya, im doing A2s this year and I want to get an A* in chemistry, what would be the best revision techniques and things? i'm doing OCR

thanks
Well done !! I'm doing A2s too.
notthegreatest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Revise like... ****... I mean...like.... Seriously...
Htrain250
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just make sure note every little detail and learn everything to a meticulous degree. A* candidates are often quite naturally gifted chemists and it is quite hard to work directly towards getting anA* in chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rafael_96
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jacksonmeg)

thanks
Hey AS OCR chemistry here as well, 77/90, 135/90, 58/60, A overall. I dropped chem at A2 to focus on gaining my 3A* predictions in Math, Econ and Physics and a EPQ in Econ as well I would say gaining an A* relies on the fact you need to be naturally intellectual and then work your ass off remembering every specific detail in your subject books and most importantly understanding the concepts (highly important for me dude to Math, physics and Econ which all require logic). Trick I told myself to get 90%'s at AS were 'learn every word, every sentence, on every page' and what do you know, I got 91%,90%,90%,85% in AS ^^ same theory for this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
niceguy95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
^^^^^^^ post above the above

thats bull**** :laugh:

learn the text book inside out and practice past papers until you consistently get 90%+
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lots of work
Qtj987
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rafael_96)
Hey AS OCR chemistry here as well, 77/90, 135/90, 58/60, A overall. I dropped chem at A2 to focus on gaining my 3A* predictions in Math, Econ and Physics and a EPQ in Econ as well I would say gaining an A* relies on the fact you need to be naturally intellectual and then work your ass off remembering every specific detail in your subject books and most importantly understanding the concepts (highly important for me dude to Math, physics and Econ which all require logic). Trick I told myself to get 90%'s at AS were 'learn every word, every sentence, on every page' and what do you know, I got 91%,90%,90%,85% in AS ^^ same theory for this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Massive well done! I study Economics at A2 and got a low B for AS last year but really struggling with the exam technique.. advice?
Rafael_96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qtj987)
Massive well done! I study Economics at A2 and got a low B for AS last year but really struggling with the exam technique.. advice?
I'll take pictures of my exam technique notes on Economics tomorrow and I'll put it up on this thread for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Qtj987
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll take pictures of my exam technique notes on Economics tomorrow and I'll put it up on this thread for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank youuuuuuuu so much Appreciated!
davidtyoember
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much time per week/per day did you spend working at it?
x__justmyluck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got an A* in OCR chemistry . Make sure you understand the principles behind the mechanisms and reactions, don't just learn the examples because in the exams you'll be given weird molecules and or reactions and think 'what the heck is that?' so you have to apply your knowledge.

Other things you do just need to memorise such as definitions and results of certain experiments (transition metal colour changes etc.). When you're going through the mark schemes of past papers make sure you notice the phrases that you get marks for in each type of question.

Practice all the different types of calculations, if you get really good at these it's easy marks in the exam.

That's all I can think of at the moment but feel free to ask me any other questions .
Rafael_96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qtj987)
Thank youuuuuuuu so much Appreciated!
Here's the notes on evaluation, the hardest area to pick up marks on for the majority of students.
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390502455.709426.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  182.3 KB Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390502479.982969.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  198.3 KB Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390502504.780114.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  166.1 KB
Hope it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rafael_96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by davidtyoember)
How much time per week/per day did you spend working at it?
Last year for AS I spent an average of 3 hours a day studying. It's quite a lot so spent Fridays relaxing and going out + 3 days a week going to gym and swimming to train.
This year I've been far more relaxed and enjoying life aha especially after submitting my UCAS and Oxford interviews. Starting revision 1st February onwards and hoping of doing 4 hours a day till exams finish (to keep it consistent and effective you need to train in my eyes, relax your mind while your body works- so joining our city stadium for athletics and gym also). If you want straight A*'s then I would say you have to work 3-4 hours a day, effectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Qtj987
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Here's the notes on evaluation, the hardest area to pick up marks on for the majority of students.
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390502455.709426.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  182.3 KB Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390502479.982969.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  198.3 KB Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1390502504.780114.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  166.1 KB
Hope it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you v much! Hopee your A2 year goes amaaazing. All the best!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed