lily.ob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm making my GCSE options and I was wondering is food and nutrition any good?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lily.ob)
I'm making my GCSE options and I was wondering is food and nutrition any good?
Never heard of it. Is that an actual subject, or just a module within another subject.
lily.ob
Rep:
?
Yeh it is an actual subject, people in my school say its rubbish but I want to do it!?!?!?!?
wc01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What do you want to be when you grow up?
If it's anything to do with Food and Nutrition then yeh. I always tell people to do the GCSE options that they want because it's usually A levels that matter the most.
It's your life, no body else's so why should it matter to them... if you wanna do it then go for it
Laura Duggan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did food technology for one of my subjects at GCSE because we had to do a technology subject. As said GCSEs don't have a huge bearing on what you do when you're older. When I picked my GCSEs I wanted to be a doctor so I did Child Development, IT, French, Food Tech, Additional Science as well as the core subjects at my school which were English lit and language Science, Maths and RS.

We had the choice of applied or additional science, if we did applied science we couldn't take any science A levels - which would have had a bearing on me as at the time I obviously wanted to progress into medicine which required science A levels - so check for pre requisites like that. Other than that I would stress what's been said above, do what you want. Unless you intend to take language further I wouldn't suggest doing it. I dropped french after GCSE and it was a complete waste.

As it turned out by year 11 I had realised I had a massive issue with blood and completely changed my career path and decided to go into law. I took three subjects all the way through A level; psychology, philosophy and english lang (my school also made me do general studies) and went on to do a law degree at sheffield university my point again is don't stress too much. Do the subjects that you love because they'll be the one's your more willing to put the work into and therefore the one's you'll get the best grades in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lily.ob)
Yeh it is an actual subject, people in my school say its rubbish but I want to do it!?!?!?!?
Do whatever floats your boat.
Why do people at school say its rubbish- is there a valid reason(s) why they say its rubbish? If so, then it might be worth looking into it to find out for yourself, or maybe avoiding the subject if what people say about it is true.
Although you might want to do it, it might be more beneficial picking a subject that is more common, that people have actually heard of. The subject might be ok, but its a bit specific, so unless you know you want to do something in that career area, then id give it a miss.
ifyouseelaura
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't know about Food and Nutrition, but lots of my friends do Food Tech (which I think is pretty similar) and really like it. They say it's fun and pretty interesting, though some of the vocab and key terms can be hard at first. So if you like Food Tech, I'd say it's a pretty good GCSE option - it's better to do subjects you like because you'll enjoy them more and probably end up with a better grade
lily.ob
Rep:
?
Thankyou I'm going to do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads