GCSE Options- Electronics or Latin?

Watch
Kevin:)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm in Year 9 right now I don't know what to take for my options. I think I would take Economics for Option 1 but I am stuck between Latin and Electronics for Option 2. Both the heads of Languages and Technology have personally asked me to take these subjects and have predicted me A*s. I want to do Medicine at uni so I am really not sure!

I am already taking Maths, English Language, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, German, Religious Education and History. Possible Add. Maths, Further Add.Maths and Statistics.
Lindissa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Latin will be really useful for medical terminology in the future and is probably seen as the more academic option. I'm biased of course but it is a really interesting subject that is different to your other options. You say you are already taking French and German - I wouldn't worry too much about having three languages overall because a) one of them is dead and b) they require different skills e.g. literature compared to speaking/writing in the modern languages. Latin will also help with your French as a language that is descended from Latin in terms of vocabulary and some grammatical structures as well as in German there is the shared case usage and inflection.

So yeah, Latin. Unless you're really interested in Physics then Electronics might be useful but this is covered in GCSE Physics so you may as well take Latin since you have the chance (unlike at the majority of schools).
Asciant
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it electronics or electronic products? I can tell you why electronic products is the best but I don't feel qualified to talk about electronics (as I don't do it)
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kevin:))
I'm in Year 9 right now I don't know what to take for my options. I think I would take Economics for Option 1 but I am stuck between Latin and Electronics for Option 2. Both the heads of Languages and Technology have personally asked me to take these subjects and have predicted me A*s. I want to do Medicine at uni so I am really not sure!

I am already taking Maths, English Language, English Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French, German, Religious Education and History. Possible Add. Maths, Further Add.Maths and Statistics.
In terms of medicine, the choice is completely irrelevant because they care about your GCSE grades, not your GCSE subjects. Bear in mind that you'll be studying this subject for two years so go with whichever you think you'd enjoy the most. Electronics sounds like the most fun.

Ignore their A* prediction though. There's no way they could know that when you're in year 9.
ifyouseelaura
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If I were you, I'd do Latin because it could be quite useful for understanding medical terminology, and could even help with GCSE French and German. Lots of my friends do Latin, and they really enjoy it - apparently it includes quite a lot of History, so if you like History, chances are you'd like Latin.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

vs

Latin.

It's not even a choice, and that comes from someone who has been in electronics for years.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asciant)
Is it electronics or electronic products? I can tell you why electronic products is the best but I don't feel qualified to talk about electronics (as I don't do it)
it is electronic products

looking at what you guys have put, i think i am now slightly more inclined towards latin

thank you!
Asciant
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok, electronic products involves a lot of coursework. This is basically researching, designing and making your electronic product. You make a 30 page dossier of information, I believe, and also make a product based on one of seven themes.
I find it a relaxing lesson, and a bit of a break from all the academic learny stuff you do in all the other subjects. This is one reason I would pick it, GCSEs are not really going to affect what you do in life, so picking all boring ones is just going to make Years 10+11 a monotonous nightmare.
Electronic products does have an exam, you will have to revise for it, but if you're clever you should have no problem getting an A*. 25% of the exam is designing an electronic product.
To give you an idea what you do in Electronic Products I'm building a combination lock which can be fitted to a door. My friend is building a touch activated alarm system, another friend is building a counter thingymajiggy. Other people are building motion activated alarms etc etc. Basically, the thing you can build is really cool, as it can be almost anything you want it to be!
Overall, I would say choose Electronic Products because the practical side of it is a relief from all that hard academic work, and you actually get something useful out of it. However, you do need to have patience. It took me 3 lessons to get my circuit to work only to discover I'd done it right in the first place.

(I'm in Year 11 now and targeted A* in all subjects which I reached in my mocks, aside from Spanish (because languages) ICT (because I failed) and Electronics (because coursework not yet complete))
drowninginsound
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Latin was great at GCSE! I learnt more about the English language in my Latin class than in my actual English lessons. :rolleyes: And it's not hard with 3 languages either - I did French and Spanish as well, and because the Latin course is so different it's pretty much impossible to get confused between the languages. It's a really interesting subject, and yes, obviously universities will look more at your A Levels, but it will still look very impresssive if you come out with a good grade.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Asciant)
Ok, electronic products involves a lot of coursework. This is basically researching, designing and making your electronic product. You make a 30 page dossier of information, I believe, and also make a product based on one of seven themes.
I find it a relaxing lesson, and a bit of a break from all the academic learny stuff you do in all the other subjects. This is one reason I would pick it, GCSEs are not really going to affect what you do in life, so picking all boring ones is just going to make Years 10+11 a monotonous nightmare.
Electronic products does have an exam, you will have to revise for it, but if you're clever you should have no problem getting an A*. 25% of the exam is designing an electronic product.
To give you an idea what you do in Electronic Products I'm building a combination lock which can be fitted to a door. My friend is building a touch activated alarm system, another friend is building a counter thingymajiggy. Other people are building motion activated alarms etc etc. Basically, the thing you can build is really cool, as it can be almost anything you want it to be!
Overall, I would say choose Electronic Products because the practical side of it is a relief from all that hard academic work, and you actually get something useful out of it. However, you do need to have patience. It took me 3 lessons to get my circuit to work only to discover I'd done it right in the first place.

(I'm in Year 11 now and targeted A* in all subjects which I reached in my mocks, aside from Spanish (because languages) ICT (because I failed) and Electronics (because coursework not yet complete))

i think thats pretty much the same electronic products course my school does. thanks for your insight
the-black-lotus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
latin is the best, such fun!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (65)
28.63%
England (78)
34.36%
Belgium (17)
7.49%
Germany (28)
12.33%
Spain (3)
1.32%