The Student Room Group

Which of these two splits is better?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nvmthename
You need a good foundation of muscle and training to start an intense split. But they sometimes do have unnecessary exercises / volume.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I reckon it's overkill. Squats and deads on consecutive days twice a week along with lifting daily. Never met any strong dude who lifts that much or recommends it man. I DLed 200 on my first ever max attempt and it never went up when I kept destroying myself.

Likewise, dips and two other presses on the same day followed by OHP the next day seems odd in a programming sense. He could work all muscles twice a week on a slightly lower volume upper/lower split IMO
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BCcfc92
I reckon it's overkill. Squats and deads on consecutive days twice a week along with lifting daily. Never met any strong dude who lifts that much or recommends it man. I DLed 200 on my first ever max attempt and it never went up when I kept destroying myself.

Likewise, dips and two other presses on the same day followed by OHP the next day seems odd in a programming sense. He could work all muscles twice a week on a slightly lower volume upper/lower split IMO

I dont think youre understanding what i mean.

If youre on a split you ned a very strong basis of strength.
If you evaluate other routines you will see its very similar. You could argue that many routines are overkill if you nit pick at it, for example ICF, a beginner jumps on it and has to squat 3 times a week, heavy rows 3 times a week whilst sometimes having deads twice a week and trains bis and tris every day.

Now take that into scale with someone that has trained hard for 12-24months and has the experience of managing macros with it, training 5/6 days a week is just as relatively taxing as a noob doing icf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i prefer the first one to be honest

even better would be a push-pull-legs imo
Reply 23
neither

Quick Reply

Latest