The Student Room Group

How much should I be paying my parents in rent?

------------------------------

Mods, please delete. Thanks! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd say 10% of your income

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Depends on if you pay your share of the bills
Reply 3
Original post by Legal_eagle2012
No, I don't pay anything towards bills at the moment. In my mind that should be what the money's for (ie one lump figure), but if other people pay for bills separately then I'd be interested to hear about it :smile:

Well I know a guy who pays his share of the elec and gas bills but also pays his rent to his parents.

Just paying for rent is understandable too as some properties have landlords who cover the bills and only ask for rent. If your parents are cool you just paying the rent then go for that as that would be easier to work out.
Reply 4
Hmm, ok. Do you know what sort of figure he pays though? Is it just a token figure or something more substantial? I think my Dad would ideally like to go through all the bills every month and work out my share of each of them. I'm kind of against that on the basis that it would be an absolute administrative nightmare etc. Plus, if I was paying £100/£200 in rent on top of bills, that seems to be far in excess of what my Mum's friend's children are paying.

But, I guess this is the reason I set up this thread so I'm interested to hear all opinions! Thanks for contributing :smile:

He pays £250 for rent with the bills on top. His parents are quite stingy to begin with so they want him to pay for everything.
Reply 5
I'd say nothing, but regularly (your own initiative) chip in with bills.
Reply 6
I always paid at least 20% of my income when I lived at home.
1599.99, keep the change
I don't pay at the moment, because I'm in uni (and I don't actually live at home most of the year), but I think my sister used to pay around £250 for keep.
Reply 9
Original post by Ggmu!
I'd say nothing, but regularly (your own initiative) chip in with bills.

Bit of a piss take isn't it?! 'Yeah I'm earning and yes you've spanked a good 250k plus on me so far, but mind if I stay rent free whilst you continue to cough up for the mortgage?'.
Haha, don't worry. I definitely want to pay something. It would be wrong not to. Just interested to get an idea of how much other people pay, given that we've got no clue at all :smile:

Yeah, I wasn't aiming it at you! Good system I heard was going on rightmove, seeing what a lodger place cost in your area and then lopping 100 quid off it for the fact it's obviously a bit different for your parents having you rather than a stranger living there!
Reply 11
Original post by Le Nombre
Bit of a piss take isn't it?! 'Yeah I'm earning and yes you've spanked a good 250k plus on me so far, but mind if I stay rent free whilst you continue to cough up for the mortgage?'.

No. It's a parent's responsibility to raise a child, they get no brownie points for it. As I said, he should take the initiative and chip in with the bills.
Original post by Ggmu!
No. It's a parent's responsibility to raise a child, they get no brownie points for it. As I said, he should take the initiative and chip in with the bills.

Not once you're 23 years old! When does the obligation to provide end? 25? 30? 40? 50?! At some point you have to stand on your own 2 feet financially, and 23 with a full time job seems pretty reasonable. My parents have devoted 23 years of their life and a massive proportion of their financial resources to bringing me up, they deserve a chance to spend some of it on themselves now I'm a grown up.
Reply 13
Original post by Le Nombre
Not once you're 23 years old! When does the obligation to provide end? 25? 30? 40? 50?! At some point you have to stand on your own 2 feet financially, and 23 with a full time job seems pretty reasonable. My parents have devoted 23 years of their life and a massive proportion of their financial resources to bringing me up, they deserve a chance to spend some of it on themselves now I'm a grown up.

My brother is older than that and he voluntarily contributes, it's not easy to move out nowadays and not everyone wants to move into a dingy, POS apartment when they have two loving parents who don't mind having them at home.

Also, since when did not paying rent mean your parents are providing for you?
Original post by Ggmu!
My brother is older than that and he voluntarily contributes, it's not easy to move out nowadays and not everyone wants to move into a dingy, POS apartment when they have two loving parents who don't mind having them at home.

Also, since when did not paying rent mean your parents are providing for you?

Yes, but you can pay them some of the rent you would otherwise spend on said dingy, POS apartment.

Because a home is one of the key things you need to provide for yourself or have provided for you. In a capitalistic society someone has to pay for that home, if you live with your parents and you're not paying for it then your parents are paying for it, or have paid for, it instead.

Your parents are being caring by letting you stay at home then it seems reasonable to have a bit of quid pro quo and pay them rent, even if it is below the market rate.
(edited 10 years ago)
It depends on your household mechanics. I'm not expected to pay anything but until I'm married I will give 50% of my income to my mother and she can spend it as she wishes while I save the rest. Its not rent because its our family home. Families don't have "rents", They took care of me and brought me up and no amount of money is going to pay for that but I feel obliged to take all responsibility of them in their old age.

The thing with them taking care of you is they can't help it. Parents have this weird bond with their offspring that means they love you almost unconditionally.

When I have the money we will probably just upgrade into a bigger 5 bedroom house which can accommodate the whole family.

Modern society worries me, Kids talking about parents having limited obligations and talking about "rent"! You're meant to be a family. Go out and do the weekly grocery shopping that way your parents will save money and get some extra time to relax as well. They might consider it a kind gesture rather than receiving £ 200 a month from your bank account.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Every family works differently I guess, I could never imagine my parents asking for 'rent' or money to live in our families house... I'd definitely voluntarily help as much as I could though
Reply 17
Original post by maskofsanity

Only bills and food will change, which is what he said to contribute to.

Longer queue for the bathroom in the mornings. More wear + tear on the carpets, sofas, electrical good etc.

Things difficult to put an exact financial figure on, but will still have an impact on the household.
Reply 18
No, I don't pay anything towards bills at the moment. In my mind that should be what the money's for (ie one lump figure for my parents to use to pay the bills), but if other people pay for bills separately then I'd be interested to hear about it :smile:

I earn roughly around what you earn, i pay 260 rent and pay for other bills like sky and contribute to other things like food shopping that i share with my brothers so i put aside an extra 60 or so for that a month so about 320 for everything
Original post by Reue
Longer queue for the bathroom in the mornings. More wear + tear on the carpets, sofas, electrical good etc.

Things difficult to put an exact financial figure on, but will still have an impact on the household.

Are you for real? wear and tear on the carpets? why don't you start paying them money for the brain space all the memories of you are taking up in their mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending