Protein,carbs and what not ! Watch

Einstein16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm trying to gain weight,as I currently weigh around 65KG and Im 17. I dont really understand the carbs/protein measurements and how much you should take a day. I have a fast metabolism so I find it hard to gain weight,should I take protein or ??? Stick to a plan and if so how much protein etc should I take a day
thanks !!!!!!!!!
ZolaCFC25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People suggest that you should take loads of protein, but in reality, there have been very few studies that prove that ingesting more than 0.8 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight leads to any more gains in muscle mass or strength. That is also on the cautious side, with there not being much difference between 0.8g/lb and say 0.6g/lb.

So in your case, I would aim for 120g+ protein. It wouldn't hurt to up that to 150g if you felt like it and it doesn't impact your ability to have enough calories overall (from fats/carbs), given that protein is generally quite filling (chicken breasts only 175 calories, give or take). 150g of protein accounts to 600 calories, which is not a lot. If you cannot get 150g from natural sources, then you should consider protein shakes. If you cannot get enough calories in overall, then you can consider protein shakes as well mixed with milk, for example, on top of your 150g of protein to reach your caloric requirements for gaining weight, giving that they aren't very filling. You need to get the rest of your calories from fats/carbohydrates.

In terms of other macronutrients, given that you say you have a fast metabolism, I would keep on upping them until you reach an average weekly weight gain of 0.25kg a week. This will ensure that you gain absolutely no fat, or at least extremely minimal. So in 6 months, you should be a stone heavier. You can up them a little more.

You will have to find out how many calories you need. It is up to you, but at your weight, you could start with 2500 calories and weigh yourself at the same time a week later (do 2/3 separate days as your weight can fluctuate by lots each day) to see if you have gain anything. If not, up them by another 200 calories and keep upping them until you gain weight. Once you start gaining weight, eventually you will need a few more calories as your muscle mass increases.

2500 calories leaves 1900 calories from other sources. There are 9 calories per gram of fat and 4 calories per gram of carbs. You could get 80g of fat (720 calories) and then 300g of carbs (1200 calories) and this breakdown will be about 40% carbs/30% protein/30% fats which will be more than fine. Try to keep the fats from healthy sources, and in general however this won't really impact your composition (just your health and indirect gains by feeling better in the gym, sleeping better etc). Up your fats/carbs a little bit each week if you are not gaining.

Now, to make sure those calories are going to the right place (muscles), you should follow a sound weight training programme. I would recommend 3 days a week sticking to 3 compound movements on each day (1 leg - squat or deadlift, 1 upper body push bench press or overhead press, 1 upper body pull - chin up or row). Look up a 5x5 programme for a start, or there are loads of other programmes out there. Essentially, any program consisting of appropriate volume for hypertrophy and progress overload with sensible exercise selection will lead to muscle gain.

The main thing is your application and desire to turn up and work hard, as well as eating enough to support growth. Be consistent and you will gain weight.

Hope that helps .
Blackrogue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow.

Anybody who tells you different they are not body builders. Carbs are your best friend. I am 19 and in 1 year gone from 10 stone to 12.5/13 stone of lean muscle and all you need is complex carbs. Cut sugar out as much as possible and as keep saturated fats to a minimum unless its coconut oil. Train at least 4 days a week on one or two connecting muscle areas a day to ensure maximum pressure and force on your muscle groups. I have a fast metabolism also but if you combine a carb filled diet, a mass gaining shake and cut your sugar out you will grow in no time.

I suggest PHD Mass to start, drink 3 a day and have carbs with every meal and take creatine, make sure you drink at least 2/3 litres of water a day to maximise water retention whilst youre bulking as your muscles have more space to grow, then after a few months when you have put on about a stone, cut your complex carbs down and eat a higher protein diet to carb ratio and stop taking the creatine, so you will "deflate". This meaning the creatine will drain out your system via urine and your retained water will drain away, leaning out your muscle showing true gains.

Eat as many peanuts, almonds and brazil nuts as possible, incorporate pumpkin seeds in your diet (i mill mine in a shake) as it has high protein, fats and zinc for testosterone support. Zinc alsomakes your body synthesize protein better.

!!CARBS!! - best friend for bulking. Thats all you need to concentrate on at the minute
mrhedgehog
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blackrogue)
Wow.

Anybody who tells you different they are not body builders. Carbs are your best friend. I am 19 and in 1 year gone from 10 stone to 12.5/13 stone of lean muscle and all you need is complex carbs. Cut sugar out as much as possible and as keep saturated fats to a minimum unless its coconut oil. Train at least 4 days a week on one or two connecting muscle areas a day to ensure maximum pressure and force on your muscle groups. I have a fast metabolism also but if you combine a carb filled diet, a mass gaining shake and cut your sugar out you will grow in no time.

I suggest PHD Mass to start, drink 3 a day and have carbs with every meal and take creatine, make sure you drink at least 2/3 litres of water a day to maximise water retention whilst youre bulking as your muscles have more space to grow, then after a few months when you have put on about a stone, cut your complex carbs down and eat a higher protein diet to carb ratio and stop taking the creatine, so you will "deflate". This meaning the creatine will drain out your system via urine and your retained water will drain away, leaning out your muscle showing true gains.

Eat as many peanuts, almonds and brazil nuts as possible, incorporate pumpkin seeds in your diet (i mill mine in a shake) as it has high protein, fats and zinc for testosterone support. Zinc alsomakes your body synthesize protein better.

!!CARBS!! - best friend for bulking. Thats all you need to concentrate on at the minute
Can you give examples of Carb food that you eat please?
Blackrogue
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fresh potatoes - mashed, chipped etc., Avocado, banana, Brown rice, white is good too but brown is healthier, All nuts because of the fats more than the carbs if anything, cous cous, quinoa, porridge, oat biscuits and oat cakes, flapjacks, any kind of pasta, cereal and cereal bars, rice cakes, corn snacks and dried chickpeas. Theres others but cant think whats in the cupboard lol
LukeM90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I always liked brown /whole wheat pasta as a carb (its fairly high in carbs) and easily available in most shops and costs very little (asda sell 500g bags of it for 1 pound usualy as an example,

Per 100g
Kcal - 335
Carb - 62.2
Protein - 12.1
Fat - 2.5

Not bad if you ask me.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Einstein16)
I'm trying to gain weight,as I currently weigh around 65KG and Im 17. I dont really understand the carbs/protein measurements and how much you should take a day. I have a fast metabolism so I find it hard to gain weight,should I take protein or ??? Stick to a plan and if so how much protein etc should I take a day
thanks !!!!!!!!!
This will give you ballpark figures of how much you should be eating to start with (set it to aggressive bulking during step 2): http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Do you actually train? With most people, if they're already skinny and find it hard to put on weight, then overeating will just make them skinnyfat, i.e. fat around the abdomen but skinny everywhere else, and they look no better for it. If this is you, you'd likely look a lot better with some weight training.
Einstein16
Rep:
?
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
This will give you ballpark figures of how much you should be eating to start with (set it to aggressive bulking during step 2): http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Do you actually train? With most people, if they're already skinny and find it hard to put on weight, then overeating will just make them skinnyfat, i.e. fat around the abdomen but skinny everywhere else, and they look no better for it. If this is you, you'd likely look a lot better with some weight training.
nope, i have minimal fat. I train but not weight training, Im trying out some weight protein so i'll see how that goes, thanks for the help all
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
nope, i have minimal fat. I train but not weight training, Im trying out some weight protein so i'll see how that goes, thanks for the help all
I know you're lacking weight now, but I'm saying if you're naturally an ectomorph and you eat to gain fat then it'll likely just all go to your abdomen, you'll look the same with your shirt on and your body will look worse in general.

What sort of training are you doing? Anything cardio-based is only going to hinder your weight gains if you do too much of it, let alone gain weight. If you're eating protein just to gain weight, don't bother, it's supposed to aid in muscle repair and recovery from training. If you're looking to put on some weight all over I'd strongly suggest getting into weight training mate, especially if you're new to it since you'll put on weight quickly for the first few months with the right training.

If you insist on buying weight gainer protein, don't waste your money on overpriced crap. Get something like EMP Charged Mass from ebay for £25 for 5.25kg, huge value for money. Has creatine in it as well so at least you might get some overall water retention. Just try to bear in mind, you're completely wasting your time and money if you're trying to do this without weight training.
Einstein16
Rep:
?
I know you're lacking weight now, but I'm saying if you're naturally an ectomorph and you eat to gain fat then it'll likely just all go to your abdomen, you'll look the same with your shirt on and your body will look worse in general.

What sort of training are you doing? Anything cardio-based is only going to hinder your weight gains if you do too much of it, let alone gain weight. If you're eating protein just to gain weight, don't bother, it's supposed to aid in muscle repair and recovery from training. If you're looking to put on some weight all over I'd strongly suggest getting into weight training mate, especially if you're new to it since you'll put on weight quickly for the first few months with the right training.

If you insist on buying weight gainer protein, don't waste your money on overpriced crap. Get something like EMP Charged Mass from ebay for £25 for 5.25kg, huge value for money. Has creatine in it as well so at least you might get some overall water retention. Just try to bear in mind, you're completely wasting your time and money if you're trying to do this without weight training.
I eat alot but have literally no fat what soever on my abdomen areas. I do concentration curls, dumbells, pullups,bench etc so is that weight training sufficient for weight gain ?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I eat alot but have literally no fat what soever on my abdomen areas. I do concentration curls, dumbells, pullups,bench etc so is that weight training sufficient for weight gain ?
If you're naturally skinny then yeah, at 17 you won't put on fat, I was exactly the same hehe. Good time to take advantage and do some proper training go on a heavy bulking diet.

As for what sort of training to do, best to get a properly structured, full-body routine going. Do you go to the gym or are you using some equipment at home?
Einstein16
Rep:
?
If you're naturally skinny then yeah, at 17 you won't put on fat, I was exactly the same hehe. Good time to take advantage and do some proper training go on a heavy bulking diet.

As for what sort of training to do, best to get a properly structured, full-body routine going. Do you go to the gym or are you using some equipment at home?
I go to the gym , 4 days a week. Ive got decent size arms its just the rest of my body is to thin.
illusionz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I go to the gym , 4 days a week. Ive got decent size arms its just the rest of my body is to thin.
Do you train anything but your arms?
InadequateJusticex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

wish I had seen this post sooner, EMP charged mass sounds amazing! 2100 calories is beast.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely need to google some beginners mass building routines then mate. You'll notice that most of them are based around barbell compound movements and most of them don't include direct arm work, so should help balance things out. Might be worth making a seperate thread and asking people what routines people have tried and had good results with, then pick what one you like.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by InadequateJusticex)
wish I had seen this post sooner, EMP charged mass sounds amazing! 2100 calories is beast.
It's good stuff to be fair, tastes decent and mixes well, also contains creatine and taurine which helps with DOMS. Of course, you don't have to have so much of it per day, I personally have 100g of it a day which just adds an extra 400 calories and some extra protein into my diet, lasts me 50 days that way. It's got a mix of simple and complex carbs so makes a perfect post-workout shake.
InadequateJusticex
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's good stuff to be fair, tastes decent and mixes well, also contains creatine and taurine which helps with DOMS. Of course, you don't have to have so much of it per day, I personally have 100g of it a day which just adds an extra 400 calories and some extra protein into my diet, lasts me 50 days that way. It's got a mix of simple and complex carbs so makes a perfect post-workout shake.
Wish I saw your post before I bought my one from Myprotein The one I bought is £22, 2.5kg and only adds about half as much as EMP.
KingGym
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
double your portions and actually eat rather than think you have eaten loads
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thanks !!!!!!!!!
The question has largely been answered but how much you require is essentially dependent on your goals.

As for your metabolism that's a common myth. Studies actually show that metabolism typically increases with mass meaning your average fat person has a faster metabolism than you. I myself used to be the skinny guy who could never get fat but could eat the whole buffet, turns out that the 2 miles of walking to my friends and back while not strenuous was enough to combat my diet. The vast majority of thin people either overestimate their eating, or underestimate their exercise.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've just started training and I've been looking for protein. Thanks for the heads up on EMP!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (83)
19.44%
Labour (208)
48.71%
Liberal Democrats (59)
13.82%
Green Party (26)
6.09%
Brexit Party (6)
1.41%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.7%
SNP (8)
1.87%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.7%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.41%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)