Waxed upper lip. Messed up face - help! Watch

Tpos
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Basically I can't thread and the person who usually threads for me has gone on holiday, so I thought instead of trying someone else I'd try to do something myself. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of girly stuff but I asked someone else if waxing would be ok. I mean I knew the face is sensitive and I was wary but I also know others do wax their face and I thought it'd be good because unlike threading it'd probably last for around 4 weeks.

So I went ahead and waxed it. For the whole day yesterday it was bright red and today it's calmed down but the skin feels kind of...scaly...if that makes sense to anyone? It looks like there's little red spots but when you feel it they're aren't. It's just patches of bright red skin which also feels kinda burnt.

I initially did put oil on it and ice (apparently they are supposed to help :confused: )

But I'm worried this patchy skin will stay like this. It really stands out and looks terrible I could cover it up with foundation but obviously want my skin to go back to normal instead.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could do? Pleaseeeeeee

Wish I hadn't been so stupid.
ChocoCoatedLemons
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you use pre-waxed strips, or a separate wax thing? Have you ever waxed anything before? Sounds like a possible allergic reaction.
Tpos
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
Did you use pre-waxed strips, or a separate wax thing? Have you ever waxed anything before? Sounds like a possible allergic reaction.
I used Veet's cold wax strips for the face.
I've waxed my arms and legs but I don't remember my skin feeling like this before so yh perhaps it is an allergic reaction.
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Will go back to normal. Dont worry...
Its just that the upper lip is maybe one of the most sensitive parts of the body.
You probably pulled your layer of skin along with your hair... next time yiu wax, i suggest you apply talcom powder on th area first. This esures that te skin will not come off as ell.
As for now, do not apply anything to it, not even foundation unless of course you have to go out nd do not have a choice.
it will get better within a range 3 days to 2 weeks.
I also found that by applying sudo creme at night it helped( thats the cream usd for nappy rash, i know, but it helped me)!
Hope this helps....
Tpos
Rep:
?
(Original post by starfab)
Will go back to normal. Dont worry...
Its just that the upper lip is maybe one of the most sensitive parts of the body.
You probably pulled your layer of skin along with your hair... next time yiu wax, i suggest you apply talcom powder on th area first. This esures that te skin will not come off as ell.
As for now, do not apply anything to it, not even foundation unless of course you have to go out nd do not have a choice.
it will get better within a range 3 days to 2 weeks.
I also found that by applying sudo creme at night it helped( thats the cream usd for nappy rash, i know, but it helped me)!
Hope this helps....
A few people have said that to me but they haven't waxed their face themselves, you saying it feels a lot more reassuring lol thank you!
Thanks for the tips too!
Obliviate
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tpos)
Basically I can't thread and the person who usually threads for me has gone on holiday, so I thought instead of trying someone else I'd try to do something myself. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this sort of girly stuff but I asked someone else if waxing would be ok. I mean I knew the face is sensitive and I was wary but I also know others do wax their face and I thought it'd be good because unlike threading it'd probably last for around 4 weeks.

So I went ahead and waxed it. For the whole day yesterday it was bright red and today it's calmed down but the skin feels kind of...scaly...if that makes sense to anyone? It looks like there's little red spots but when you feel it they're aren't. It's just patches of bright red skin which also feels kinda burnt.

I initially did put oil on it and ice (apparently they are supposed to help :confused: )

But I'm worried this patchy skin will stay like this. It really stands out and looks terrible I could cover it up with foundation but obviously want my skin to go back to normal instead.

Maybe your wax was too hot? I get it done by a professional but few times the wax was far too hot and I was left with little red dots similar to yours. Even though I have been waxing my upper lip for nearly 3 years I still have this area red for the rest of the day after I have it done. Don't worry, especially if it's your first time waxing, your skin is not used to ot and it will definitely go away

Posted from TSR Mobile
SoulfulTwist
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Obliviate)
Maybe your wax was too hot? I get it done by a professional but few times the wax was far too hot and I was left with little red dots similar to yours. Even though I have been waxing my upper lip for nearly 3 years I still have this area red for the rest of the day after I have it done. Don't worry, especially if it's your first time waxing, your skin is not used to ot and it will definitely go away

Posted from TSR Mobile
She used cold wax! But this does happen when yuh use the warm one..
Tpos
Rep:
?
Yh as starfab said I used cold wax.

It actually looks better this morning, I don't think it's an allergic reaction, just the normal reaction like you guys have said. Hopefully it'll be completely normal in a few days time. Thanks for reassuring me!

Btw how frequently do you need to get your lip waxed?

(Original post by Obliviate)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Musie Suzie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
May be an allergic reaction as others have said, or the skin has dried out in places due to the wax. I swear by Savlon for any skin healing, so you could try applying that overnight, or sudocrem, as a previous poster said. I'm sure it'll heal soon
Obliviate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tpos)
Yh as starfab said I used cold wax.

It actually looks better this morning, I don't think it's an allergic reaction, just the normal reaction like you guys have said. Hopefully it'll be completely normal in a few days time. Thanks for reassuring me!

Btw how frequently do you need to get your lip waxed?
Every month used to be enough, but now I need to have it done every 3 weeks.
m93100
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol this reminds me of my first time! I waxed my upper lip and my god it was so red for the first 2 days. You just have to wait and I have super sensitive skin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
kittyvonjohl
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ditto it was on my eyebrow last time and its fine now no traces cant even tell (even though it was awful like i went in an ambulance typa awful, but this is my LIP HOW AWKWARD!!!!!
AmeilaMendes
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tpos)

You’ve had a bad reaction, which has therefore caused your skin to be as it is now. In my opinion I would use vaseline, as this helps those who burn their skin when removing their facial hair, it worked for me

Another thing you can use is basically in my family we use toothpaste if we accidentally burn ourselves, this generally cools down the skin and help replenish the skin and also recovers the damage really quickly. If you want to you could try this.
Shaiara Tabassum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i used beauty formula's wax stripe on my upperlips and it feels like my upper lips area , the area after nose plumped a little and it looks so bad . it's been 4 days . i don't know is it my real look or its just the irritation !! i loook uglywhat should i do ???? i used ice too next day
ann_js
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tpos)

the upper lip is sensitive so it might just be a sensitivity thing. It should settle in a few days. id avoid wearing makeup on the upper lip until its settles as it could make it worse. and when your showering/washing your face use lukewarm water, not hot or cold. Try calamine lotion to soothe it
hope this helps
YouAreAYute
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
did you use a face specific one?? tbh i think they are your best bets
Iamstoopid
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I used Veet's cold wax strips aswell and before yesterday, I had only had a wax burn once which was in July. Yesterday, I was using Veet wax strips and I got another burn and this time it's much worse as its on two sides of my lips. Perhaps you warned the strip too much (that's what I did accidentally) It will take about 7-10 days depending on how deep the burn is and even I don't like this because I've got school tomorrow and I don't want to be made fun of. I was thinking of foundation but that would kinda sting
Iamstoopid
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Tpos)

I used Veet's cold wax strips and before yesterday, I had only had a wax burn once which was in July. Yesterday, I was using Veet wax strips and I got another burn and this time it's much worse as its on two sides of my lips. Perhaps you warned the strip too much (that's what I did accidentally) It will take about 7-10 days depending on how deep the burn is and even I don't like this because I've got school tomorrow and I don't want to be made fun of. I was thinking of foundation but that would kinda sting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (164)
19.48%
Labour (428)
50.83%
Liberal Democrats (113)
13.42%
Green Party (47)
5.58%
Brexit Party (12)
1.43%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.66%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.71%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)