The Student Room Group

Should I study in advance for my university course?

I received an conditional offer from oxford for mathematics and I think I can meet the conditions. Here's the question after I get into it: I really want to do part time job during university to reduce possible expenses but I heard that studying in oxford is like extremely hard so I'm afraid that I won't have time for working. I can study as hard as what I'm doing right now in high school and I'm good at selfstudy. I used to assume that university life would be easy since I will be only specializing in mathematics. I really don't know what I'm going to learn in university, is tutors going to use some kind of materials or they just teach? Give me some suggestions, do I need to study the courses in advance so that I can make the study easier when university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by leenicolemars
I received an conditional offer from oxford for mathematics and I think I can meet the conditions. Here's the question after I get into it: I really want to do part time job during university to reduce possible expenses but I heard that studying in oxford is like extremely hard so I'm afraid that I won't have time for working. I can study as hard as what I'm doing right now in high school and I'm good at selfstudy. I used to assume that university life would be easy since I will be only specializing in mathematics. I really don't know what I'm going to learn in university, is tutors going to use some kind of materials or they just teach? Give me some suggestions, do I need to study the courses in advance so that I can make the study easier when university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would advise anyone even students at Uni to study your modules from Uni in advance gives you a great advantage for when the time comes. I study my modules during the summer break for each new year of Uni and it helps at lot especially when aiming to achieve a first class! You can email the module leader/director (am sure oxford may have the information on their website or may have sent it to you), and ask them about the structure of the course for the 1st year, they should be able to provide you with that information. Just say u have an conditional offer and you would like to know how the 1st year is structured based on modules and which modules have the highest credits.

Also university is not like high school, the teaching method is completely different ie there is no spoon feeding. The professors will provide you with the material needed to help you with certain modules via lectures and tutorial sessions but the majority is self studying ie learning outside the material content given by the course or properly understanding the theory as well as the practical result. (I study chemical engineering)

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
100% study in advance! Will help you a lot! Can focus then on extra learning during your course time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford bans term time work, and not without good reason. Terms are very short - only 8 weeks long - but very intensive, so you won't have time for working, so you should confine your work to the holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to get in some sensible pre-Uni reading then look at any Maths textbooks on Amazon aimed at undergrads.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridging-University-Mathematics-Edward-Hurst/dp/1848002890

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Mathematical-Reasoning-Numbers-Functions/dp/0521597188/ref=sr_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390233604&sr=1-18

You don't have to buy them - you can get them on inter-Library loan from your public library.

Quick Reply

Latest