The Student Room Group

Need help leaving an apprenticeship

I left uni after 2 years because at the time I had family problems which caused me to develop depression. After a year of not being able to find a job, due to my minimal work experience, I applied for a apprenticeship. Even though apprenticeships are aimed at 16-24year olds I feel at 22 that I am too old for this. I took the apprenticeship so that I could gain a years work experience and learn new skills. But unlike the other apprentices in my office, I am not taught anything. I do the same amount of work as the people who are paid a normal salary. Plus they make me work on 2 different departments so most of the time I am doing 2 people's jobs. I am a hard worker so this is why they make me do so much work but at the same time they are very rude and condescending towards me. The company treats its staff very badly and most of the other employees I work with want to leave but are too scared. I don't want to have a black mark on my CV for not completing my course and I also do not want future employers to think that I am a quitter. But this company really exploits its workers. They even deducted money off of the little amount of money I get because I was in hospital and couldn't come to work. I have spoken to other people who have completed apprenticeships and they said they were never treated this way
Reply 1
Try and finish it :smile: I doubt you can use them as a reference if you haven't finished it...How come you couldn't find a job in a years time, not even a basic retail job? Did you try online
Reply 2
Original post by r_u_jelly
Try and finish it :smile: I doubt you can use them as a reference if you haven't finished it...How come you couldn't find a job in a years time, not even a basic retail job? Did you try online

Quite a few areas dont have as many jobs going these days, this makes it harder for people to find work especially if they dont have much previous experience like the OP.

@OP: How long have you got left? Did you apply through the company directly or did you get it through an agency?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They should have paid you sick leave when you were in hospital.

You are aged over 19 so should be receiving at least the national minimum wage for your age, NOT for an apprentice.

If you leave check your contract, make sure you don't need to pay back training fees.

Here is a link that may help you: http://alisongurden.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/are-you-an-apprentice-do-you-know-your-employment-rights/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending