kingBen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am an aspiring clinical psychologist and i'm currently doing my A-levels now, i know that having experience is very important to getting into university and i've done a few months at norwich day services which is a mentally disabelled care centre. I support a friend who has schizophrenia and multiple other disorders and since she got to know me her condition has improved and she has said that she would not be where she is now if not for my help. I have heard that it is possible to shadow a psychologist and this is something i would like to do but i have no idea where to start with doing it. i live in norwich in norfolk and i know there's a mental health centre there so how would i go about shadowing one? i'm guessing i'd need a CRB check which would be fine but would i have to just ring up and ask or what?.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Shadowing isn't necessary for undergraduate applications - focus on your reading that you've done around psychology and why that interests you. It's very difficult to shadow psychologists anyway cos of confidentiality issues - as a prospective Ed psych doctorate applicant post graduation the best I could find was talking to a couple
lucybuckleyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
During my A-levels I did volunteer work at a residential home for mental illness. The stuff I did was mainly support work, sitting there talking to them and helping with activities. The organisation I was with was called Making Space, try Googling it to see if there are any homes near you? It's more social work than Psychology, but I still consider it valuable experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (358)
84.04%
No (68)
15.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed