The Student Room Group

Can I "win" her back?

So about 2 weeks, a bit out of the blue, my gf broke up with me. She told me that she didn't have time for a relationship right now and she brought our 10 mth old relationship to a close. She's got a load of uni exams atm so I guess the stress she was under got too much and she decided to cut me out.

I'm gutted by this so much right now. I never wanted to be like a burden to her and made sure not to be. She told me she still wants to be friends but I said I didn't know whether I could really agree to that and she started crying. I told her I needed time to sort stuff out and couldn't really see her for a while. About 3 days later, I told her that I did want to be friends cos I still want her as a part of my life but it was going to be difficult cos I still really like her and will do for a while. She told me she was v happy to hear that and said she still likes me but that was why she had to say what she did.

Since then, i've tried to go "cold turkey" and not have any contact with her but its killing me. She's respected my wishes not to talk to me but I feel like I've ****ed up massively by trying to do that. I just remember how happy we were over Christmas when we met up and the fact she told me she still has feelings for me. I badly want to speak to her but don't want to cause drama for her right now with exams. The more time I don't speak to her though, the worse I feel.

If she says she still likes me, can I win her back? Will not talking to her worsen the chances of that happening and make her think I don't care or that she can do without me? I just don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Forget about her, cut all contact and move on with your life
Reply 2
I wish it was that easy but it's not. I'm trying that approach now and its killing me. I can't forget about her and I can't cut her out completely when we've got a mixed friendship group.
Wait till after her uni exams, stick with the no contact till then and after that get back in touch. Maybe them she'll realise she made a mistake as the stress has been lifted.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
So about 2 weeks, a bit out of the blue, my gf broke up with me. She told me that she didn't have time for a relationship right now and she brought our 10 mth old relationship to a close. She's got a load of uni exams atm so I guess the stress she was under got too much and she decided to cut me out.

I'm gutted by this so much right now. I never wanted to be like a burden to her and made sure not to be. She told me she still wants to be friends but I said I didn't know whether I could really agree to that and she started crying. I told her I needed time to sort stuff out and couldn't really see her for a while. About 3 days later, I told her that I did want to be friends cos I still want her as a part of my life but it was going to be difficult cos I still really like her and will do for a while. She told me she was v happy to hear that and said she still likes me but that was why she had to say what she did.

Since then, i've tried to go "cold turkey" and not have any contact with her but its killing me. She's respected my wishes not to talk to me but I feel like I've ****ed up massively by trying to do that. I just remember how happy we were over Christmas when we met up and the fact she told me she still has feelings for me. I badly want to speak to her but don't want to cause drama for her right now with exams. The more time I don't speak to her though, the worse I feel.

If she says she still likes me, can I win her back? Will not talking to her worsen the chances of that happening and make her think I don't care or that she can do without me? I just don't know what to do.

Let her focus on her exams and then do something. I think she's worried she'll mess up and then blame you so it's her way of preventing her from throwing blame on you and upsetting you then
Reply 5
Thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking, leaving it until after the exams, but they don't finish until early Feb I think so until then its going to be a real hard slog not speaking to her.
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking, leaving it until after the exams, but they don't finish until early Feb I think so until then its going to be a real hard slog not speaking to her.

"If it's easy then it's probably not worth doing" - somebody who I've never heard of :wink: but yeah, thats the way on this one, talking now would just annoy her, give yourself and her some space...
Reply 7
I wish it was that easy but it's not. I'm trying that approach now and its killing me. I can't forget about her and I can't cut her out completely when we've got a mixed friendship group.

Moving on is the best thing. It might be a lot of pain now, but once you move on, or find happiness (even if you're on your own), it will be less pain in the long run. Plus you won't be developing any unhealthy habits, like pining, over-thinking. Most guys will have experienced the 'one that got away', and maybe she is that for you.
Reply 8
Do not be friends with her. Literally 1% chance of that actually working and a 99% chance of it ****ing you up emotionally until you guys go your separate ways. I wouldn't recommend trying to get back with her but maybe it would be worth an attempt. She did dump you out of the blue after 10 months though without a real reason tbh so I wouldn't do it myself.
Reply 9
Thanks for the advice guys. Think I've already had the one that got away!

Still haven't spoke with her but its killing me. Only a week or so to go though.....Which has got me thinking. Instead of if I can win her back, how do I do it? I don't want to go in guns blazing looking desperate :frown:
Reply 10
Thanks for the advice guys. Think I've already had the one that got away!

Still haven't spoke with her but its killing me. Only a week or so to go though.....Which has got me thinking. Instead of if I can win her back, how do I do it? I don't want to go in guns blazing looking desperate :frown:

Sorry to say, but how do you know she'll even want you back?
Tbh, I don't get why you didn't continue your relationship but scale back how much time you spend together/communicating. Due to the fact she broke up with you outright rather than this, it'd be a sign to me that the relationship is over.
I think that if you agreed to being friends with her, then stopping contact will make her feel bad just as much as you feel bad. I really feel sorry for you, I get how you feel (not personally, but sympathetically). I think you should remain friends, then when she's done with uni, try again. It's just the stress and difficulty, that's all. It sounds like you still love each other. So just stay friends and see what happens. Whether you should see other people in the meantime or not I don't know. I'm not a dating expert lol. :smile: This is just my personal opinion, so good luck. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Gjaykay
Sorry to say, but how do you know she'll even want you back?
Tbh, I don't get why you didn't continue your relationship but scale back how much time you spend together/communicating. Due to the fact she broke up with you outright rather than this, it'd be a sign to me that the relationship is over.

Tbh, i don't know whether she will or not. My friend got told not to speak about it with her recently so I guess that could mean she is upset by it? I feel like an idiot telling her I needed so much time away from her when right now I'd be quite happy to just speak with her, even if it would be just as friends.

i tried to convince her to do just that, scale things back and give each other some space but she didn't agree because she didn't think it would be a proper relationship. I think she thought it would be unfair on me for her not to give as much to the relationship as I would be. Honestly though, I wouldn't/won't care about that; I can judge what's unfair to me a lot better than anyone else!
Reply 13
Subbed, as I have almost exactly the same problem. Good luck man, but keep being yourself as you were before you were with her-and how you want to be after her. That's probs best :smile:
Uni over love?

**** that, she doesn't care enough.

Would you ever do the same? Would you break up with someone because you had exams? If anything your partner should be there to comfort you about exams.

Doesn't seem like she's worth it tbh.
Reply 15
Original post by Lord Frieza
Uni over love?**** that, she doesn't care enough.Would you ever do the same? Would you break up with someone because you had exams? If anything your partner should be there to comfort you about exams.Doesn't seem like she's worth it tbh.
Believe it or not, I did say something like that to her when breaking up but she said she did which was why she was doing it. I wouldn't do the same but I know what I was like when I had a set of exams like what she has now before we met. I wouldn't have dumped her but she probably would have dumped me as I could be unbearable with the stress I was under.
Reply 16
Believe it or not, I did say something like that to her when breaking up but she said she did which was why she was doing it. I wouldn't do the same but I know what I was like when I had a set of exams like what she has now before we met. I wouldn't have dumped her but she probably would have dumped me as I could be unbearable with the stress I was under.

I wont bother giving advice on whether she's worth it, or whether or not a friendship would work. I'll stick to your question... Theres no definite way of getting her back, but there is one way thats better than all the rest.

I had this problem a few years ago. Dude I totally get what place you're in.

What you need to do:

COLD TURKEY! Do not budge, do not talk! Pretend like you dont care. Trust me its the only way possible to get her back. Give it 1 month of cold turkey, then slowly start talking again.

This happened to me and I didn't do the above, I tried everything and it failed badly. After I accepted it had failed, I tried to move on. When I did, and she thought I didn't care anymore, she came back. It turned out I'd found someone else, but still.

Its tough to stay away as much as possible, but it is the only way of getting her back.

P.S Dont be a jerk to her, just make it known you're happy being single.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Thanks for all the help and tips on this. Really appreciate it. Bit of an update...

I broke cold turkey and txt her to say good luck with her exams this week and the generic "you'll do fine". She txt me back with to say thanks, she was nervous with them plus told me she hoped I was all good. Told her I was fine, re-assured her again and told her to let me know how they all go. Bog standard kinda stuff, nothing committal, all fairly neutral.

What I didn't expect was to feel all angry about this. (I know the 5 stages grief and all that...I've done them all now bar one, just not in the right order!)

I went out on Friday with my mates but left early cos 1 tried to be "bad cop", making me question why she broke up with me etc. But next day, all over FB, she'd apparently been out Friday too. I was a bit "wtf?" cos there she is telling me 3 weeks ago she doesn't have time for a relationship but she does have time to get pissed with her mates the weekend before an exam. I get people need stress relief, I know I did in same situation, and I know relationships are more than just seeing each other and its the expectation of seeing each other and plans etc, but I really can't square it all in my head.

On the one hand, I see the girl I pretty much loved and, looking back, the girl who I saw the stress of exams niggling away at; the one who I welcomed the new year in with, the one who bothered to txt me when I was away if only to tell me to enjoy myself and the one who I knew before the Christmas break, the girl who I described in the OP. On the other hand though, I see the girl who, without any consideration for me, broke us up to focus on exams, the girl who's going out all the time after telling me she wanted to cut that down this year; Basically, the girl who doesn't give a **** about me.

i dunno whether this is me reacting to what my friend said, questioning her reasons and all that, or whether I've just been ****ing kidding myself. My mates say I need to speak with one of her mates, sort it all out, but I'm not just going to txt them cos itll go back to her. Again, I dunno what to do.

Has she just lied to me to make it easier to break up? Why the hell has she decided to give me false hope if that's the case? I got told she didn't want to speak about the break up 2 wks ago by a mate and took it as a sign she was upset. Was it just perhaps she can't be arsed? This whole situation is so frustrating.
Reply 18
Thanks for all the help and tips on this. Really appreciate it. Bit of an update...

I broke cold turkey and txt her to say good luck with her exams this week and the generic "you'll do fine". She txt me back with to say thanks, she was nervous with them plus told me she hoped I was all good. Told her I was fine, re-assured her again and told her to let me know how they all go. Bog standard kinda stuff, nothing committal, all fairly neutral.

What I didn't expect was to feel all angry about this. (I know the 5 stages grief and all that...I've done them all now bar one, just not in the right order!)

I went out on Friday with my mates but left early cos 1 tried to be "bad cop", making me question why she broke up with me etc. But next day, all over FB, she'd apparently been out Friday too. I was a bit "wtf?" cos there she is telling me 3 weeks ago she doesn't have time for a relationship but she does have time to get pissed with her mates the weekend before an exam. I get people need stress relief, I know I did in same situation, and I know relationships are more than just seeing each other and its the expectation of seeing each other and plans etc, but I really can't square it all in my head.

On the one hand, I see the girl I pretty much loved and, looking back, the girl who I saw the stress of exams niggling away at; the one who I welcomed the new year in with, the one who bothered to txt me when I was away if only to tell me to enjoy myself and the one who I knew before the Christmas break, the girl who I described in the OP. On the other hand though, I see the girl who, without any consideration for me, broke us up to focus on exams, the girl who's going out all the time after telling me she wanted to cut that down this year; Basically, the girl who doesn't give a **** about me.

i dunno whether this is me reacting to what my friend said, questioning her reasons and all that, or whether I've just been ****ing kidding myself. My mates say I need to speak with one of her mates, sort it all out, but I'm not just going to txt them cos itll go back to her. Again, I dunno what to do.

Has she just lied to me to make it easier to break up? Why the hell has she decided to give me false hope if that's the case? I got told she didn't want to speak about the break up 2 wks ago by a mate and took it as a sign she was upset. Was it just perhaps she can't be arsed? This whole situation is so frustrating.

Cut contact, she is only going to try and ruin your future relationships and she already blew her chance with you. All the details are not important, she made her bed and now she has to lie in it.
Reply 19
The details are important though because, until it's settled, it's going to bug me like hell.

Ball's in her court in terms of contact...done my bit with the friendliness, signalling I'm willing to talk. I'm not going to cut all contact with her for reasons mentioned above. I just want answers really and know what the **** has gone on?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending