Has meat fallen out of favour with you? Watch

She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A survey by YouGov has found that meat eating is on the decline in young people with 1 in 6 18-24 year olds maintaining that they had become vegetarians. This makes them three times more likely to eschew meat compared to the national average!

Is this you? Are you a meat-eater turned veggie?

Eating the "Vegan" way is also on the rise with vegan cookbooks increasing and vegan cake being more readily available in cafes. The German supermarket chain Veganz opening its first UK shop this year, offering shoppers more than 6,000 vegan products!

What motivates someone to move in a meat-free zone, potentially removing all animal products from their diet? Has the horse meat scandal and general cruelty to animals changed your eating habits? Will you only be bbq-ing Halluomi & pepper kebabs this summer?

Or is it a healthy lifestyle decision? Other research shows that strict vegetarians score significantly better on mood scales and have lower instances of depression, anxiety and other negative feelings. Can you vouch for this?

Longer term studies have shown that vegetarians weigh less and live longer than meat-eaters do, and they are a third less likely to suffer from heart disease and about 40% less likely to get cancer than meat-eaters are. Is this enough to change your foodie habits?
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm a meat-eater turned vegetarian (as of 1st Jan 2012). I did it for purely ethical reasons - although many people might claim they do not want animals to be harmed unless it is strictly necessary, this is not consistent with most people's dietary habits. Once I realised that eating meat contradicted my ethical views, I decided to give it up.
Alpha brah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What kind of meat are we talking here? 3 inches or 11?

:teehee:
cascadingstylez
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This thread came at a perfect time. I'm making the transition to becoming a vegan. I am still eating a bit of meat, but I am slowly cutting it all out. 75% of my foods are now vegan.

I've been a junk food eater all my life, but after beating Cancer I vowed to get into good shape. A plant based diet is apparently better for the body, and lessens the risk of Cancers - at least from the studies I've read.

The one thing I love about the vegan diet is that you can actually get vegetables to taste so damn good! I'm also loving spicy cous cous and falafel. Not keen on Soya milk, and I've yet to try Tofu yet, but all in good time.

What I'm finding at the moment though is when I have days where I eat vegan food I feel hungry all the time. I end up snacking on nuts and seeds, or have some fruit, but moments after my snack I'm hungry again.

I'm enjoying it though, and I am feeling much better about myself.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm holding steady on a small amount of chicken or bacon per day or every other day. I was a vegetarian for a long period but i do now believe that a small amount of meat strikes the balance between ethics and a balanced diet.
meenu89
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I couldn't give up Chicken, I love it too much. Don't really care about any ethical considerations or anything.
She-Ra
Rep:
?
(Original post by cascadingstylez)
This thread came at a perfect time. I'm making the transition to becoming a vegan. I am still eating a bit of meat, but I am slowly cutting it all out. 75% of my foods are now vegan.

I've been a junk food eater all my life, but after beating Cancer I vowed to get into good shape. A plant based diet is apparently better for the body, and lessens the risk of Cancers - at least from the studies I've read.

The one thing I love about the vegan diet is that you can actually get vegetables to taste so damn good! I'm also loving spicy cous cous and falafel. Not keen on Soya milk, and I've yet to try Tofu yet, but all in good time.

What I'm finding at the moment though is when I have days where I eat vegan food I feel hungry all the time. I end up snacking on nuts and seeds, or have some fruit, but moments after my snack I'm hungry again.

I'm enjoying it though, and I am feeling much better about myself.
I :heart: falafel too.... try soya milk smoothies, it's grim with cereal but is a really good addition to a fruit smoothie. Have you tried Hemp protein? You could stir that into a smoothie and that might help keep you feeling fuller for longer.

I really want to try bee pollen too - it's supposed to be amazing, a whole food in itself.
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm a pescetarian, but I haven't eaten meat for about 11 years now. There are a multitude of reasons why I don't eat meat - ethical concerns surrounding farming and slaughter methods more than anything, though environmental reasons are also significant in my thinking, and tbh after not having eaten meat for so long I have absolutely no desire to eat it again.
cascadingstylez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by She-RaBrighton)
I :heart: falafel too.... try soya milk smoothies, it's grim with cereal but is a really good addition to a fruit smoothie. Have you tried Hemp protein? You could stir that into a smoothie and that might help keep you feeling fuller for longer.

I really want to try bee pollen too - it's supposed to be amazing, a whole food in itself.
Any type of milk is odd for me. I couldn't drink cows milk straight, or in cereal. Only had it in tea. I just heave automatically when drinking it. I tried soya milk and I had that same heaving. But, since switching to herbal tea I don't use any milk anyway. I am looking forward to cooking with Soya milk though.

I have the hemp powder stuff, and flaxseed. I put a spoon or two on everything I have the flaxseed and hemp with cocoa so it tastes that bit better in porridge and smoothies.

Bee pollen ... I need to look this up. Thank you
RtGOAT
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hell no.

I have some sort of meat for every meal.
cascadingstylez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, I also have an excellent little recipe for those that miss the "bacon" taste.

Grab some plain cashews and almonds, put them in a bowl. Add cayenne chilli powder, rosemary, salt and olive oil. Mix together. Place on a baking tray and roast at about 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes. I like them when they start to go dark brown. Let them cool, and they taste just like bacon! I was surprised when I first made them. I eat these daily now as a snack.
LukeM90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I welcome the news, one less person to grab all the good bargains in the meat aisle lol,

I do feel bad about animals getting killed but as long as it is done humanely I'm ok with eating meat (meaning they didnt suffer) because arent most farm animals bread specifically for purpose?,

if people all just stopped eating meat you'd probably get someone say kill all the useless cows because they are contributing too much to emissions lol

besides, I'm already too far gone, I love leather products and I love beef, as long as the cow didnt suffer and none of it is going too waste I can rest easy.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
While i believe the figures will be inflated as people don't stay vegetarian quite often it's quite interesting. I myself have moved towards a 90% pescetarian diet now (only for the past week) but that's primarily for health reasons. Ethically i don't really agree with meat eating but i don't care enough to do anything on ethical grounds, it's more a case of "i'd be fine without meat".

The horse meat scandal just made me want to try horse to be honest.
SkinnyKat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure if I could ever become a vegetarian (love fish too much, sushi is amazing) but I have cut down on my meat consumption a lot. I only eat it 2 - 4 times a week (once in that day) which is good considering I used to eat it everyday at almost every meal!

The reason is that 1) it's expensive (I only ever buy fresh meat and fish - nothing processed or covered in breadcrumbs, preferably free range/organic) 2) I do feel bad for the animals that have had to die for my own selfish greed 3) there really is no need to eat meat often, every day is just too much and leads to health complications
RF_PineMarten
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't eat meat all the time, but I certainly couldn't give it up altogether. I'd actually like to try some wild meats like rabbit and pigeon, I'm a bit of a picky eater and people who shoot tell me it's very tasty. And no welfare issues with it either, considering it's free range. But that can't happen until I get a bit better with my gun. In the meantime I just go for free range meat in the shops.

The horse meat scandal didn't want to make me become vegetarian. Though I was a little shocked that those supermarket products had actual meat in them.

Does anyone have a link to this Yougov survey? I think we need to see things like sample sizes and question wording, 1 in 6 18-24 year olds seems a bit high to me.
She-Ra
Rep:
?
(Original post by RFowler)
I don't eat meat all the time, but I certainly couldn't give it up altogether. I'd actually like to try some wild meats like rabbit and pigeon, I'm a bit of a picky eater and people who shoot tell me it's very tasty. And no welfare issues with it either, considering it's free range. But that can't happen until I get a bit better with my gun. In the meantime I just go for free range meat in the shops.

Does anyone have a link to this Yougov survey? I think we need to see things like sample sizes and question wording, 1 in 6 18-24 year olds seems a bit high to me.
http://www.eating-better.org/blog/23...-messages.html
username945458
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:lolwut: give up chicken?......never.
redferry
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by She-RaBrighton)
A survey by YouGov has found that meat eating is on the decline in young people with 1 in 6 18-24 year olds maintaining that they had become vegetarians. This makes them three times more likely to eschew meat compared to the national average!

Is this you? Are you a meat-eater turned veggie?

Eating the "Vegan" way is also on the rise with vegan cookbooks increasing and vegan cake being more readily available in cafes. The German supermarket chain Veganz opening its first UK shop this year, offering shoppers more than 6,000 vegan products!

What motivates someone to move in a meat-free zone, potentially removing all animal products from their diet? Has the horse meat scandal and general cruelty to animals changed your eating habits? Will you only be bbq-ing Halluomi & pepper kebabs this summer?

Or is it a healthy lifestyle decision? Other research shows that strict vegetarians score significantly better on mood scales and have lower instances of depression, anxiety and other negative feelings. Can you vouch for this?

Longer term studies have shown that vegetarians weigh less and live longer than meat-eaters do, and they are a third less likely to suffer from heart disease and about 40% less likely to get cancer than meat-eaters are. Is this enough to change your foodie habits?
I turned veggie just under a year ago for a number of reasons.

1. Its cheaper
2. Its far more sustainable
3. I don't like the animal cruelty involved in eating meat
4. It seems to have done wonders digestively speaking
She-Ra
Rep:
?
(Original post by Just Another Girly)
:lolwut: give up chicken?......never.

(Original post by meenu89)
I couldn't give up Chicken, I love it too much. Don't really care about any ethical considerations or anything.
Have you tried Quorn or Soya "Chicken" pieces? Put it in a pie and sometimes I struggle to notice the difference! I think I could become a veggie but I would miss the odd Roast D& Christmas Dinner of course!
cascadingstylez
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by redferry)
I turned veggie just under a year ago for a number of reasons.

1. Its cheaper
2. Its far more sustainable
3. I don't like the animal cruelty involved in eating meat
4. It seems to have done wonders digestively speaking
For years I'd assumed a vegan/veggie diet would actually be more expensive. I can eat a full meal for about £1.50 on a vegan diet! Those on a tight budget should defiantly give it a try if they enjoy whole foods a veg.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (68)
23.45%
No (222)
76.55%

Watched Threads