The Student Room Group

Choosing A Levels? :/

Hola,

Over the last couple of months I've been contemplating what A-levels I should take in year 12 (sixth form.) I have already applied to my sixth form and have been given a conditional place on the subjects English Literature, Psychology, History and Maths.

I don't know whether I want to do these or night but I had to choose. I definitely want to do History and Maths; I want to do a history or maths degree at university - I haven't got a job in mind yet though. I have a few other options that I should do, I just need advice on whether these will be good with my current two subjects and will university's want this. My dream is to study at Warwick University or King's college London.

I know further maths is basically essential for a maths degree but in my sixth form they state that they do not have FM as an option, despite saying they do on the prospectus? I have a few other options but I don't know whether to choose these.

Psychology - I am intrigued by its content and I have heard that another essay based subject would be good for a History course.

Physics - seen as I cannot do FM I was thinking physics could allow me to do some maths courses if I wanted to? I do core + additional science at GCSEs. In core I only got a B, but I feel I have the potential to get A or even A* in Additional science for physics.

Biology - I was thinking Biology as I am quite good at memorising some things with revision techniques. Also I thought it would be beneficial with Psychology if I decided to do that too.

Spanish - this is the subject that I am totally unsure about. I am not great at Spanish but I enjoy the lessons. Both my writing CAs are at an A level. But I freak out about oral exams and struggle as I got a C last year. Spanish doesn't really go well with maths or history but I thought it may give me a more unique application.

I have decided I don't want to do English at A level as I am pretty rubbish at it at GCSE.

P.S I am predicted A/A* for History and Maths, and I am predicted A for Physics, biology and Spanish.

Thanks for reading :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Ben4
Hola,

Over the last couple of months I've been contemplating what A-levels I should take in year 12 (sixth form.) I have already applied to my sixth form and have been given a conditional place on the subjects English Literature, Psychology, History and Maths.

I don't know whether I want to do these or night but I had to choose. I definitely want to do History and Maths; I want to do a history or maths degree at university - I haven't got a job in mind yet though. I have a few other options that I should do, I just need advice on whether these will be good with my current two subjects and will university's want this. My dream is to study at Warwick University or King's college London.

I know further maths is basically essential for a maths degree but in my sixth form they state that they do not have FM as an option, despite saying they do on the prospectus? I have a few other options but I don't know whether to choose these.

Psychology - I am intrigued by its content and I have heard that another essay based subject would be good for a History course.

Physics - seen as I cannot do FM I was thinking physics could allow me to do some maths courses if I wanted to? I do core + additional science at GCSEs. In core I only got a B, but I feel I have the potential to get A or even A* in Additional science for physics.

Biology - I was thinking Biology as I am quite good at memorising some things with revision techniques. Also I thought it would be beneficial with Psychology if I decided to do that too.

Spanish - this is the subject that I am totally unsure about. I am not great at Spanish but I enjoy the lessons. Both my writing CAs are at an A level. But I freak out about oral exams and struggle as I got a C last year. Spanish doesn't really go well with maths or history but I thought it may give me a more unique application.

I have decided I don't want to do English at A level as I am pretty rubbish at it at GCSE.

P.S I am predicted A/A* for History and Maths, and I am predicted A for Physics, biology and Spanish.

Thanks for reading :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

History and maths are pretty cool subjects. You will definitely be in a stronger position having A level physics too.

Unfortunately Warwick at maths is one of the toughest courses to meet for maths. I think they expect you to have Further maths and STEP (basically what you do in A level, only with some seriously tough questions).

Psychology is a memorising subject too, similar to biology except theres no uncertainty in what they can ask you. Spanish is slightly tricky in that you need to improvise a lot in the speaking and writing.

If you REALLY 'dream' of studying at kcl / warwick, I might suggest asking your sixth form if they will enter you for the exams whilst you self teach / learn with teachers aid. Even AS will help you achieve KCL. (Also you should enquire whether they offer STEP as this is important for warwick)
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
History and maths are pretty cool subjects. You will definitely be in a stronger position having A level physics too.

Unfortunately Warwick at maths is one of the toughest courses to meet for maths. I think they expect you to have Further maths and STEP (basically what you do in A level, only with some seriously tough questions).

Psychology is a memorising subject too, similar to biology except theres no uncertainty in what they can ask you. Spanish is slightly tricky in that you need to improvise a lot in the speaking and writing.

If you REALLY 'dream' of studying at kcl / warwick, I might suggest asking your sixth form if they will enter you for the exams whilst you self teach / learn with teachers aid. Even AS will help you achieve KCL. (Also you should enquire whether they offer STEP as this is important for warwick)

To be honest I'm using maths as a back up plan, basically I want to study History at Warwick or KCL but if I decide I don't I want to have a back up plan of maths as that's the only other thing I am interested in. I may have to just take maths at a lower ranking university if I have a change of heart, maybe physics will give me an edge? I will ask about those, tyvm. Any more opinions are welcome!
Reply 3
Original post by Ben4
To be honest I'm using maths as a back up plan, basically I want to study History at Warwick or KCL but if I decide I don't I want to have a back up plan of maths as that's the only other thing I am interested in. I may have to just take maths at a lower ranking university if I have a change of heart, maybe physics will give me an edge? I will ask about those, tyvm. Any more opinions are welcome!

If history is the main thing you want to do, then you will be fine. Its not that your choices cant get you a good place for maths (many places accept non further mathematicians e.g. Bristol), its just that Warwick is one of the best for maths, hence demand the best qualifications :biggrin:

Psychology will be a good subject as its a fairly good respected subject whilst not being overly difficult. As long as you put in the effort in memorising the essays for each topic, you will easily be able to tackle any questions in the exam.
Reply 4
Reply 5
Anyone who takes any of the subjects listed above please share some light on the a-levels, and some information! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest