The Student Room Group

Biology at uni after a gap year..?

I'm currently on a (sort of) gap year, and I'm considering retaking biology even though I don't actually really need to, one of the main reasons is that so I can keep it up. I've applied for biology but I have no offers yet. I'm worried that I'll get to September and will have forgotten everything, and find it really difficult compared to everyone else. I know I could just go over the content without retaking but having to take the exam would be more motivating. My question is, is the A-level content gone over and recapped as starting points to topics or am I expected to know/remember everything? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Hello, :smile:
I've also applied for Biological Sciences (and am on a gap year), I can't really say for sure for any course at any uni, but at least for Bristol University (which is my first choice university) I understand that the first year is the basic foundation for the entire course as there will be many students who have done biology for different exam boards - for example I did 'Human biology' A-level so I covered a lot of stuff regarding organ transplants but not much at all regarding plants - and they will all be a different levels, the first year is bring everyone up to the same level, so I really wouldn't worry too much about forgetting anything.

If you feel unsure maybe just keep your old bio book handy and perhaps read through it once or so before the year starts - I doubt you need to know all the details in the book like you would for an exam. Though it might be easier still just to look at the reading list for the university for the first year and have a look at what they cover there. For Bristol university the key book for the first year is 'Campbell biology', but since the book is revised every year and isn't very cheap I would recommend waiting until the university tell you for sure which edition they want.

Have you seen: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/esu/unitprogcat/RouteStructureCohort.jsa?byCohort=Y&ayrCode=13%2F14&programmeCode=2BISC001U
This part of the university website has every module listed, each module listing the reading material used in it and the manner in which is it assessed (e.g. practical, essay, oral presentation).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending