Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Struggling watch

Please any advice or help.

Im in a bit of an odd situation. I have been with my boyfriend for the past 3 years. We have been extremely happy and are looking to the future buying a house etc. My partner in August started a new job as a psychiatry trainee. Since then he has started talking at length about the patients he sees in his sleep. He has absolutely no recollection the next day. This started off not bothering me but as time has passed and he has seen some very disturbed people he seems to be acting it out in his sleep saying some horrific things that have on occasion really frightened me. He has seen his GP and is awaiting a referral to a sleep clinic and has tried taking sleeping tablets but this is obviously not a long term thing.
    Weve tried talking about it and he just says he isnt stressed about anything at work and makes a joke about it.
    The final straw came when he said he was going to kill me in his sleep.
    I should be so proud of him and his acheivements but instead im resenting his job and everything about it. Its like I now have an irrational anger for anything related to psychiatry and dont want to discuss it atall.
    Im frightened this is the end of our relationship and although i want to support him 100% i dont know how to get over this hatred.
    Please help

That's quite unusual. Has he ever talked in his sleep before?

If he trains in UK I would imagine he is about to move to the next rotation in the next couple of weeks. Change of scenery and a new group of patients may help. An imminent solution for the time being is to sleep separately to let both of you get some decent rest.

Another thing to consider is if he talks enough about what's going on during the day. He should have weekly supervision with his consultant and attend a Baliant group with psychotherapist. That's where difficult patients are discussed to get it out of your system.

I don't know if it's any consolation but majority of our patients are not dangerous or violent. They are often very disturbed but they get better with treatment. I have seen my share of pretty disturbing things but I have seen worse in AE for example. Maybe if you find out a bit more about psychiatry you will fear it less and not hate it so much.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2014
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.