Turn on thread page Beta

New HBO shows - Jan 2014 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Interesting midwinter slate for HBO, they have two new shows.

Looking is a comedy-drama about three late-twenties gay friends living in San Francisco. The lead part, played by Jonathan Groff of Glee fame, is Patrick, a video game developer looking for love. First episode was definitely good, well-directed. I'd be interested to see more.

True Detective is an anthology series starring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConnaughey. It's incredibly dark, beautifully shot and lovingly crafted. It's like Twin Peaks with a Southern Gothic sensibility, and I'm blown away by the first episode.

Well worth checking them out, especially during the wait for seasons 2 of Orphan Black, The Americans and Orange Is The New Black.

ReputationRep:
    Not to be particularly offensive, but does anyone on this subforum appreciate television as an artistic medium (The Wire, Deadwood, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad), or is it all intellect-numbing, mind-deadening junk like Eastenders, TOWIE and Atlantis?

It's like casting pearls before swine.

ReputationRep:
    True Detective sounds interesting but I probably won't bother watching it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...728131&page=62

ReputationRep:
    True detective sound good. Where can I watch it? Is it coming to Sky Atlantic at all?

Also +1 for mentioning The Americans- I can't wait for the new series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    True detective sound good. Where can I watch it? Is it coming to Sky Atlantic at all?
    Definitely, it's coming in late February.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)

True Detective is an anthology series starring Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConnaughey. It's incredibly dark, beautifully shot and lovingly crafted. It's like Twin Peaks with a Southern Gothic sensibility, and I'm blown away by the first episode.
    Is it anything like Broadchurch then? May be tempted to watch it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Is it anything like Broadchurch then? May be tempted to watch it.
    Broadchurch is okay, it's high-quality but it's nothing groundbreaking. True Detective truly is exceptional, in every way. Watching the pilot, you wouldn't be surprised if it were a motion picture.

If you liked Broadchurch, then you'd probably love True Detective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Also +1 for mentioning The Americans- I can't wait for the new series.
    Absolutely, I love that show. I adore Cold War history and espionage, but leaving that aside, the show captures the mood of the 1980s so well.

It also captures the dedication of "illegals"; having researched a lot about spies like Konon Molody/Gordon Lonsdale and read Spycatcher, you get quite a sense of the kinds of lives they lived, the very personal and touching messages the KGB forwarded to them when it was their children's birthday, when the wife was sick, and so on. They were real people, they were committed to what they were doing.

I cannot wait for season 2
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MostUncivilised)
    Broadchurch is okay, it's high-quality but it's nothing groundbreaking. True Detective truly is exceptional, in every way. Watching the pilot, you wouldn't be surprised if it were a motion picture.

If you liked Broadchurch, then you'd probably love True Detective.
    I liked Broadchurch. Thought it was one of the best British TV events for a long time.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.