Turn on thread page Beta

Help with council tax watch

    • Thread Starter

    I would be grateful if anyone who has experience on a similar situation could share their knowledge. So I am a student and live together with my girlfriend who already graduated. When we rented the flat the landlady was perfectly fine with putting the lease only in my name to avoid council tax. However, after a while we started receiving letters in the name of both of us from the city council demanding the tax to be paid. I am not sure how they found out (could be a bank account, or my girlfriend's job I suppose) I answered that I live alone and offered to provide a copy of my lease which states that there is only one tenant. So the latest message I have from them is asking for the copy of the lease and for a confirmation of my girlfriend's current home address.
    So I am wondering if there is a way of convincing the council that she does not live here and if anyone has any suggestions as how to proceed? Or does it seem like we will just have to grid our teeth and pay the 1000 pound bill?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated! (But please no moralising, I think we can leave the discussion on the utility of the council tax for another time)

    Girlfriend can afford to pay council tax --> girlfriend pays council tax (at a 25% off reduced rate cos she's the only one in the household eligible)
    Girlfriend can't afford to pay council tax --> girlfriend applies for a council tax reduction, and pays a reduced rate.

    Or in other words, stop pissing around.

    I would pay the bill. If you lie about who lives there to avoid paying council tax it's fraud.

    But make sure she is only paying the single ocupancy rate. You also might be eligable for a discount if you have the low income you need to check with the council.

    Lastly if this has put you in arrears and you can't afford to pay it don't ignore it. Talk to the council, and offer to pay in installments. Pay some of it even if you can't pay the lot.

    Ask starbucks how they got away with it
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.