Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feelings of anxiety, what should I do? watch

Announcements

Over the last couple of years, my anxiety levels just seem to have increased. It depends on the day - one day there isn't too much that worries me, however some days everything seems to worry me, even getting on the bus or going to the shop.

As I am going through a stressful time (A levels, uni stuff, driving tests etc), the levels of anxiety I am feeling are making me constantly feel sick and shaky. I think today has been one of the worst days, hence why writing this thread.

Any suggestions/things I can do?

I am trying to get the confidence to go to the doctors.

Thanks in advance for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Over the last couple of years, my anxiety levels just seem to have increased. It depends on the day - one day there isn't too much that worries me, however some days everything seems to worry me, even getting on the bus or going to the shop.

As I am going through a stressful time (A levels, uni stuff, driving tests etc), the levels of anxiety I am feeling are making me constantly feel sick and shaky. I think today has been one of the worst days, hence why writing this thread.

I would recommend three things.

The first is to try breathing exercises. when you feel anxious and notice your breathing becoming faster try to breathe very slowly and with your diaphragm - your lower abdomen. Try to master the art of staying calm in anxious situations using this method. Focus your concentration on a calming thought.

Second, talk to someone you know and trust. Is there a family member who you can confide in? If so, tell them your worries. A problem shared is a problem halved. It really does help, It doesn't have to be a big deal, just a general comment about how you are worried about something, and take it from there.

Third, speak to your doctor. I think anxiety is becoming quite common so chances are they will be accustomed to it. An option here is to write everything down and hand it to them if you don't feel comfortable talking to them, or you could start by saying you are having trouble handling exam stress and keep feeling anxious and shaking and that you are not sure how to control it. They can prescribe medication to help but a lot of doctors will prefer the options above.

Good luck. I have been exactly where you are now. It does get easier, trust me and I'm sure that you are a lot stronger than I ever was. Stay strong, keep going and talk to someone you trust. You will be surprised how many people feel the same way..

ReputationRep:
    i just listen to music or simply
    (Original post by Anonymous)

i just distract myself by listening to music, fidgeting or like focussing my mind on something

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the above posts I suggest taking regular breaks to do yoga/stretching exercises and deep breathing. Also take regular breaks and as much fresh air as you can.

If you are in a situation and are anxious but can't escape - focus on tensing up your toes all the way up to your hands (making a fist) and then release them. To this a couple of times and you'll feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Great post by MTR_10 - you might also find it useful to look up guided meditation (try youtube) - it's not for everyone, but the times I've tried it it has helped me relax. And if you want to start telling people about how you're feeling (which 99% of the time is the right way to go), you might also find it helpful to talk to school/college about your problems, so they know not to put additional pressure on you, and they might be able to refer you to a school counsellor or similar so you have someone impartial to talk to. The TSR Mental Health Support Society is also a great place to meet people going through similar things - we have a number of A level students as members, as well as people who've gone on to uni who'll be able to relate and maybe help out a bit.

You might also find this website useful in preparing yourself for seeing a doctor - it walks you through things to think about before going, stuff like making a checklist of symptoms, knowing what to expect from the appointment, that sort of thing.

Good luck with everything, I really hope you do seek help and manage to get over these problems! :hugs:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.