Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pregnancy Test... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know how soon I can take a pregnancy test? I had sex on the 10th of January and it was unprotected. I want to take it as soon as I can.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a pregnancy test and on the leaflet inside it tells you, i think its roughly 2 weeks though!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Moved to Sexual Health
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It depends. Different tests have different sensitivities to the hormone all home tests will be looking for, so some are reliable earlier than others.

You're looking for the mIU figure they will all have on their packaging somewhere - I think 10 is the lowest (i.e. most sensitive) out there, with 50 being the highest. In practice that makes a difference of some days, rather than weeks, and the more expensive ones are not necessarily more sensitive than the supermarket own brands. (Annoyingly, their websites don't give the crucial info!)

If you are pregnant, a sensitive test may pick it up now, or it may give a 'false negative', saying that you're not, when you are. In a week's time, it should be reliable.

When was your last period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    It depends. Different tests have different sensitivities to the hormone all home tests will be looking for, so some are reliable earlier than others.

You're looking for the mIU figure they will all have on their packaging somewhere - I think 10 is the lowest (i.e. most sensitive) out there, with 50 being the highest. In practice that makes a difference of some days, rather than weeks, and the more expensive ones are not necessarily more sensitive than the supermarket own brands. (Annoyingly, their websites don't give the crucial info!)

If you are pregnant, a sensitive test may pick it up now, or it may give a 'false negative', saying that you're not, when you are. In a week's time, it should be reliable.

When was your last period?
    My last period was on the 4th of January and finished about the 9th.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cookiesandcream2)
    My last period was on the 4th of January and finished about the 9th.
    Based on that, you're very probably not pregnant: assuming a regular cycle, the sex was too far ahead of ovulation.

I know you want to know as soon as possible, but the tests need a fertilized ovum to implant in the uterus - it's this that starts production of the hormone tests look for. By the time a test will be reliable (about a week from now) you'll be due to have your period a few days later.

ReputationRep:
    They reckon the best time to take one is 7 days after the date of your missed period to decrease the chances of getting a false negative, you can get ones which can pick up a positive sooner (I think First Response is one of these).

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by gemmam)
    They reckon the best time to take one is 7 days after the date of your missed period to decrease the chances of getting a false negative, you can get ones which can pick up a positive sooner (I think First Response is one of these).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not the op, but basically perhaps 3 weeks after sex would probably be accurate?

ReputationRep:
    You could try one, but it would be more accurate if you waited until you have actually skipped a period (if you even do).

You are unlikely to be pregnant based on when the sex occurred in relation to when ovulation should happen, so try to keep calm, but you should still make sure you test if your period is late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not the op, but basically perhaps 3 weeks after sex would probably be accurate?
    Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.