Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'm starting an Adult Nursing course in February and was wondering if anybody else had any experience with getting halls places for February?? I was in touch with the accommodation office and they said to try in January but if I don't get a place then I'll have nowhere to live when my course starts and its not really possible to visit to look for rented accommodation (As I'm from Ireland).

So any help would be appreciated...
    Thanks in Advance
    Paul
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Paul

Try not to worry - the accommodation office will be able to help you find a place to live even if it's not in halls. Unfortunately it is difficult to know in advance if and where spaces in halls will crop up - but they usually do! I recommend keeping in touch with the accommodation team and taking a look now at their advice for finding private rented accommodation - just in case.

Best Wishes

Viv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Brighton)
    Hi Paul

Try not to worry - the accommodation office will be able to help you find a place to live even if it's not in halls. Unfortunately it is difficult to know in advance if and where spaces in halls will crop up - but they usually do! I recommend keeping in touch with the accommodation team and taking a look now at their advice for finding private rented accommodation - just in case.

Best Wishes

Viv
    Thanks!

Actually I was wondering when the accommodation system opens again. I was told it would open again in January but I was wondering if there was any particular date so I can write it on my calendar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul92M)
    Thanks!

Actually I was wondering when the accommodation system opens again. I was told it would open again in January but I was wondering if there was any particular date so I can write it on my calendar.

Hi Paul

The accommodation team would be the ones to ask [email protected]

If they don't have a specific date, I would put a note in your diary to check after 6th Jan when everyone is back on campus after the Christmas holidays.

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    Do i apply for accommodation before I confirm my choices, when I confirm them or after?

Also is it best to confirm asap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahjayyne)
    Do i apply for accommodation before I confirm my choices, when I confirm them or after?

Also is it best to confirm asap?
    Hi hannahjayyne,

This varies by university - at Brighton offer holders are invited to apply in April -

'Application for university accommodation opens in April. We email all offer holders to let them know when application opens. Look out for your Finding a Home Guide in the post during March too. This guide explains all the accommodation options available and the support we provide through the Accommodation Service.'

More info here
    http://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodat...php?PageId=171

Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    Hello, everyone!
    I'm hoping to start studying the Photography (BA)hons at Brighton in September. I definitely want to go into halls for my first year, but there are many to chose from and I'm not sure which. To be honest, I think that Paddock Field looks like it offers the nicest all-round package. Especially when it comes to bedroom sizes and furniture.
    Can anyone give me any advise? How far away is Paddock Field from the Grand Parade campus (where I'd be studying). Has anyone stayed at Paddock Field before? Does anyone recommend a different halls?

Thank-you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah-Jean)
    Hello, everyone!
    I'm hoping to start studying the Photography (BA)hons at Brighton in September. I definitely want to go into halls for my first year, but there are many to chose from and I'm not sure which. To be honest, I think that Paddock Field looks like it offers the nicest all-round package. Especially when it comes to bedroom sizes and furniture.
    Can anyone give me any advise? How far away is Paddock Field from the Grand Parade campus (where I'd be studying). Has anyone stayed at Paddock Field before? Does anyone recommend a different halls?

Thank-you!
    Hi Sarah-Jean

You can apply for any of the Brighton halls and you might have different reasons for which you might prefer to make you first choice (cost, facilities, location etc). Paddock fields is based on the Falmer campus, which out of the 4 Brighton halls (find them all listed here http://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodat....php?PageId=20 ) is the furthest away from Grand Parade, the campus that you will be based on for BA(Hons) Photography. You would be likely to find more students from the Grand Parade campus in the Phoenix or Moulsecoomb place halls. This isn't a hard and fast rule though as students can apply to any

If you stayed at Paddock Fields you would need to take the bus or the train to the Grand Parade campus. Falmer is 7km away from Grand Parade, which is in the city centre. The train takes under 10min between the two places and runs 4 times per hour and there is a regular bus service. It is also worth remembering that traffic during rush hour can affect the journey time! Moulsecoomb is in between Falmer and Grand Parade. It is worth looking at the maps and travel info here for more info: http://www.brighton.ac.uk/maps/index.php?PageId=750

Lots of students at Grand Parade - including those in the first year, choose to live in private rented accommodation, often close to the city centre. Lots of my friends lived within a 5min walk of uni and liked being part of general city life - info here http://www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodat...php?PageId=150

Hope that helps - let me know if you have any other questions.
    Best Wishes
    Viv

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I will be attending Brighton this year as a mature student and was wondering what halls would be best for me near the Moulsecoomb campus? I am looking for self-catering and to be with other mature students.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

ReputationRep:
    Varley Halls is the most common place for people studying at Moulsecoomb campus in my experience.

Not sure if they have any/many mature students, saying that though, always mature student houses going down the avenue, which is right next to campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themilk)
    Hi, I will be attending Brighton this year as a mature student and was wondering what halls would be best for me near the Moulsecoomb campus? I am looking for self-catering and to be with other mature students.

Thanks in advance.

Sean
    Hello Sean,

I studied on the Moulsecoomb campus and I lived in Varley Park halls of residence in self-catered accommodation. Varley is about 15 minutes on the bus away from Moulsecoomb so it's a good location, and its a great campus as there are some brand new halls there and you'll get to meet loads of different people studying all sorts of subjects. There are halls of residence on the Moulsecoomb campus, but they're catered. Falmer campus also has lots of great accommodation options too, and it about 20 minutes away from Moulsecoomb on the bus.

If you have any questions about accommodation please visit the website www.brighton.ac.uk/accommodation.

Or feel free to chat to one of the accommodation team, they're really helpful and friendly. You can email them at [email protected] or call them on 01273 644100.

I hope this is helpful.

Hannah

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.