The Student Room Group

Mother escapes jail after luring man to ‘humiliating’ torture with offer of threesome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Chlorophile
The fact of the matter is that none of us were jurors at the court hearing so none of us know the full story. The Metro is allowed to report whatever information is convenient to the story it chooses to run. Whilst it might be true that this is a miscarriage of justice, it is more likely that there's something we don't know about that led to the Judge's decision.

Pretty much this.

I was horrified at the implications when I first read the story in the paper, but then remembered that none of us actually know the story beyond what was printed. It would be much more reasonable to assume that the woman was sentenced fairly in the face of the actual evidence (although I wouldn't be surprised if gender-bias did play a role).
Original post by scrotgrot
... and the men were just 20 and 24. Broadly the same life stage. Women are only vulnerable to manipulation by men when they are significantly younger. This is why a 20-year-old with a 16-year-old girlfriend is probably taking advantage while a 25-year-old with a 20-year-old girlfriend (same proportion) probably isn't.

I don't personally consider 19 and 24 to be in "the same life stage" if I'm honest, but that's not the point.

I hadn't noticed the ages of the males to be honest. God, this whole case is rather depressing...
Bring back flogging
Dayyum

I was expecting some kind of ruthless, but very hot dominatrix and I get

well that

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Actually she had sex with the third guy who showed up, Doyle, her 'other lover', the one who had supposedly been abusive. The boyfriend was Hogan. The article does not say that the victim was being tortured during the sex, rather than he was lying on the floor.

My point still stands. The only thing that changes is replacing the name of BF with the other guy, all other things remain the same
Original post by Jordooooom
How wouldn't I? Like you said, you're making excuses for her saying it's possible that she was abused herself so what is to stop other women using that defence in the future if they know it will get them off? I wonder what would have happened if the situation was reversed and a guy claimed that he was abused by his girlfriend who tortured someone. Would he be spared jail? Would he ****.

And I doubt someone who was being abused would become 'horny' in her own words after just seeing such an events.

The fact you're defending her is disgusting.

You seem to continue to fail to grasp the concept of manipulation and threat.

Would a guy be spared jail? Yes. There have been countless cases of men who have been threatened with severe consequences should they not perform something which they do not wish to do; those men are not convicted, rather it is the people holding them to account who are jailed. Does this then cause an increase in the amount of men committing robberies or smuggling drugs who then use the excuse that they were simply being held hostage with the consequence of abuse? No. It doesn't. So why would the same occur to women in abusive relationships? Use your brain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Ridiculous. Another good example of 'equality' and sentencing bull****.

Original post by Ronove
Recourse to vigilante justice would be a pretty big loss to society, actually. If you want to live in that society, good luck to you.

You could say that to every group that rises against tyranny. Not equating this to that, but you have to be careful denouncing 'vigilante/anti establishment behaviour.

ps. Hi friend :smile:
That's scary, I'm 19 and could not imagine someone my age doing something like that. If the woman didn't actually take part in the abuse and she pleaded guilty to the crime she committed, which was false imprisonment, she should have at least spent some time in prison. Although as the men carried out the abuse then they deserved longer sentences, the difference in sentences was due to the differences in the acts committed, not due the the difference in gender between the people involved.
Reply 48
Original post by You Failed
You seem to continue to fail to grasp the concept of manipulation and threat.

Would a guy be spared jail? Yes. There have been countless cases of men who have been threatened with severe consequences should they not perform something which they do not wish to do; those men are not convicted, rather it is the people holding them to account who are jailed. Does this then cause an increase in the amount of men committing robberies or smuggling drugs who then use the excuse that they were simply being held hostage with the consequence of abuse? No. It doesn't. So why would the same occur to women in abusive relationships? Use your brain.

Most idiotic reply I think I have ever seen to be honest. You're comparing cases where there is hard evidence of men being forced to perform acts compared to a women who simply said 'he abuses me' with no evidence?

Get a grip
Original post by Jordooooom
Most idiotic reply I think I have ever seen to be honest. You're comparing cases where there is hard evidence of men being forced to perform acts compared to a women who simply said 'he abuses me' with no evidence?

Get a grip

What? How do you know there is no evidence? You think the papers just made it up? It's clearly stated in the article that she was in an abusive relationship. What's more likely, the journalist just made that up on the spot, or they have clear evidence for it, which they decided not to print?
Reply 50
What? How do you know there is no evidence? You think the papers just made it up? It's clearly stated in the article that she was in an abusive relationship. What's more likely, the journalist just made that up on the spot, or they have clear evidence for it, which they decided not to print?

And how do they know she was in an abusive relationship? Has she reported it in the past? Was their physical evidence? Or did she simply just claim that she had been abused. I mean it's like anyone would ever lie to get out of punishment is it..

And I see you still can't defend her comment about being horny during the attack. How can someone sooo innocent become horny from violence?
Judiciary needs a kick up it's duff, or you know, reform.
Reply 52
Original post by Tortious
That's not entirely true. I've actually studied the sentencing guidelines as part of my course (and could do with revising them), so I could attempt, based on whatever information is reported in the media, to explain how the judge might have reached his decision - if that's of interest to (enough) people.

Go ahead then, nobody's stopping you. Just don't sit there rasping on about how much you've studied it if you're not going to explain anything. At the end of the day, a man got murdered in a horrible fashion by some maniac who should have been put in jail but escaped it.
Reply 53
Most likely because of the fact that her boyfriend was abusive and she was in an abusive relationship. If her bf has been abusive to her physically and mentally, which normally includes consistent emotional manipulation to the point where the woman will think it is she who is in the wrong, then it's very easy to see how she could have been persuaded to go along with the whole thing.

Would it be right to jail a woman who was in an abusive relationship at the time, who may have feared for her own safety if she had not gone along with it? Or who may have been manipulated into cooperating?

Maybe you didn't read it clearly the first time, but it was pretty obvious that she lured him there. She was responsible as well as the other men involved. She is not innocent, she is not some delicate little flower who was forced along into doing so, so please stop making excuses for such a vile creature.
Reply 54
Original post by Kiss
Go ahead then, nobody's stopping you. Just don't sit there rasping on about how much you've studied it if you're not going to explain anything. At the end of the day, a man got murdered in a horrible fashion by some maniac who should have been put in jail but escaped it.

No need to be aggressive - I said once (which is hardly "rasping on") that I'd do it if there was sufficient interest and nobody's taken me up on it. I'll do it when I get around to it. As I'm sure you'll appreciate, as a student with upcoming exams I have slightly more pressing concerns.
Reply 55
Original post by Kiss

Do you even bother reading the articles before starting on about gender bias?
Reply 56
Original post by Ronove
Do you even bother reading the articles before starting on about gender bias?

If it hadn't been for her then none of this would have happened. All people who killed him, including the men, are twisted and sick, but the fact that she got off with it is disgusting. I haven't begun to bring in gender bias yet; you have.
Reply 57
Original post by Kiss
If it hadn't been for her then none of this would have happened. All people who killed him, including the men, are twisted and sick, but the fact that she got off with it is disgusting. I haven't begun to bring in gender bias yet; you have.

The point is that no-one was killed, and you're going on about murder.
Reply 58
Original post by Ronove
The point is that no-one was killed, and you're going on about murder.

And you think that makes his treatment any better? She more or less raped him whilst he was tortured. All the of the perpetrators involved should be drowned to death and their families forced to leave the UK.

And if you are trying to defend them then you don't deserve much better.
Reply 59
Original post by Kiss
And you think that makes his treatment any better? She more or less raped him whilst he was tortured. All the of the perpetrators involved should be drowned to death and their families forced to leave the UK.

And if you are trying to defend them then you don't deserve much better.

Here I'm guessing you've again not read the article and are talking about the having sex incident where she explained that she was 'horny' as a response. It was not the tortured person she had sex with in this incident.

Someone's touchy. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending