Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do I have a stiff jaw?? watch

Ok as the title says.... And before anyone asks, no I haven't recently been involved in any penis related activities with my mouth :giggle:
    It's basically really stiff, has been for a couple of days, and I can't open my mouth properly to eat food and stuff. I have a few mouth ulcers but I think it might be unrelated as I get them a lot (I munch my cheeks in my sleep)
    Does anyone have an idea as to why this might be? I know you're not doctors and stuff but I don't really want to bother my GP if it's a normal thing / easy to resolve / will go away by itself.
    Thanks all
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Try adding some omega oils to your diet if no effect or gets worse see a dentist.

ReputationRep:
    It might be the flu, get some rest

ReputationRep:
    What you're describing sounds like symptoms of temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD), which basically means problems affecting the jaw joint. Common symptoms are aching, reduced range of movement, clicking in the jaw, earache/headaches. TMJD is pretty common and generally there's no treatment except to try and reduce what's causing it.

You said you chew your cheeks - that sounds like it's likely to be a possible cause. One of the most common causes (at least in young people, without other health conditions like arthritis) is the joint being overused, e.g. teeth grinding in sleep.

Things that can help: household painkillers if the pain is bad - paracetamol/ibuprofen/etc. (stick to the usual recommended doses). Sometimes jaw clenching is caused by stress - do you think that could be possible for you? If so, try some relaxation exercises or anything to reduce your stress which might stop you overworking your jaw so much. Other than that, just try to rest your jaw when you can - eating fairly soft foods, not yawning too widely, etc. Basically anything which feels painful or puts a strain on your jaw - try to avoid.

Chances are it will subside soon enough, especially if you try some things to reduce the causes. If it doesn't improve or gets worse, you can see your GP. They might suggest some physiotherapy exercises to help your jaw, prescribe painkillers, and look into other possible causes/contributing factors.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.