Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much of the A Level syllabus have you been taught so far? watch

ReputationRep:
    At what stage in the learning process is everyone at in their A2 subjects in the minute? It appears my college is significantly behind compared to others, we haven't started UNIT 5 work yet.

Answers from people studying the sciences and maths would be helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what exam board you're on but I'm a little past halfway in everything at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    For further maths [we're doing the whole thing this year] we've finished FP1, FP2, S2, M2 and we're nearly halfway through FP3 and near the beginning of D1. For chem we've done unit 4, and a couple of unit 5 chapters. Same for biology.

ReputationRep:
    For politics we have done maybe 2/3 or 3/4 of the A2 syllabus though it's harder to tell with politics because a lot overlaps and fits into multiples of the topics so... :P For history we have barely covered anything for one half of the course and for the other were are on WW1 of a course that starts from the 1800s and ends at the end of WW2 so probs doing good there. Maths I have no idea. We have done it in a random order, like some of C3 and C4 probably the majority in fact, and we have just started M1 before Christmas - I am a tad worried about timings tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! It may be because I'm a Welsh student so I have Jan exams so we are revising for those at the moment rather than learning the next module Want to get things done now though Have you started your coursework/practical module yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Politics – 45% or so through the AS

Biology – Done all Module 1 (40%) and both course works (10% each). Just started Module 2 So 60% through.

Chemistry – About 60% through the course, but I feel the hardest is yet to come.

Maths – Finished C1, half way through C2 with still M1 to do, so around 50/60% too.

ReputationRep:
    Finished ASes.
    For A2s: 2 modules to go in FM, about 1/4 way through FP3 and 1/7 way through S2. Biol: bit more than a half. Chem: half?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cestlavie10)
    Politics – 45% or so through the AS

Biology – Done all Module 1 (40%) and both course works (10% each). Just started Module 2 So 60% through.

Chemistry – About 60% through the course, but I feel the hardest is yet to come.

Maths – Finished C1, half way through C2 with still M1 to do, so around 50/60% too.
    Wow, someone with the same A levels as me!

I'm at the same stage as you only I've done most of M1 but no C2 yet.

You aren't doing your exams with CCEA, are you?

ReputationRep:
    Did Jan exams (A2) - Unit 4 sciences

Physics - halfway through unit 5
    Chemistry - just started unit 5
    Biology - starting unit 5 this week
    Maths & Fmaths- Did C4, FP1, last chapter of M3, halfway in FP2, didn't start FP3 or S2
    AFM - not yet started. Should do 6 modules before may

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    Did Jan exams (A2) - Unit 4 sciences

Physics - halfway through unit 5
    Chemistry - just started unit 5
    Biology - starting unit 5 this week
    Maths & Fmaths- Did C4, FP1, last chapter of M3, halfway in FP2, didn't start FP3 or S2
    AFM - not yet started. Should do 6 modules before may

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This seems quite similar to me, except we haven't started unit 5 physics yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When our school did A levels they used to aim to get all the way thru the syllabus by Xmas, so that the last term was revision and past papers and stuff. We have small class sizes so I guess that's what makes a big difference. Now we do IB and there is just SOOOOO much work that it will be Easter before we have finished it all. I'm not sure it really matters if you move rapidly thru it and then have revision time, or move through it more slowly and thoroughly first time. I think the thing to remember from now till exam time is that there is no such thing as free time!

ReputationRep:
    Not even half way for most subjects imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry - did a quarter of F335 before christmas, and currently doing our four week coursework investigation. Finished F334 in November.
    Biology - currently doing chapter 8 of 14 (but have done 11 and 12). Finished F213.
    Maths - halfway through C4, done most of M1, and finished C3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizz-ie)
    Chemistry - did a quarter of F335 before christmas, and currently doing our four week coursework investigation. Finished F334 in November.
    Biology - currently doing chapter 8 of 14 (but have done 11 and 12). Finished F213.
    Maths - halfway through C4, done most of M1, and finished C3.
    Gosh you've done loads!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibbyG)
    Gosh you've done loads!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We may have covered a lot of the content, but that doesn't mean I understand it! also I had to miss quite a bit of school last term, so missed a few topics :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizz-ie)
    We may have covered a lot of the content, but that doesn't mean I understand it! also I had to miss quite a bit of school last term, so missed a few topics :s

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hopefully you'll have a lot of time spare to revise it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibbyG)
    Hopefully you'll have a lot of time spare to revise it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I doubt that very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesplussky)
    Wow, someone with the same A levels as me!

I'm at the same stage as you only I've done most of M1 but no C2 yet.

You aren't doing your exams with CCEA, are you?
    Funnily enough I am I'm all CCEA except Maths.

How are you finding our combination? It's a bit strange with one essay subject but I think it's not too bad. I'm not sure which to drop next year, Politics or Maths :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cestlavie10)
    Funnily enough I am I'm all CCEA except Maths.

How are you finding our combination? It's a bit strange with one essay subject but I think it's not too bad. I'm not sure which to drop next year, Politics or Maths :/
    It's so weird, everyone I know is doing either all sciences or all essay.

I am dropping Politics as I want to study Medicine and need all of my other subjects to do so

Why would you drop Maths, it's so good! What modules are you doing (M1/M2/S1/S2/..)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.