The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Official Thread for the History A2 Tudors exam. Post essays, post queries, post anything to do with this exam.

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
How have you been revising for this exam?
Reply 4
Yeah I've been revising a bit, just been doing questions and such. I would love to see examples of how people structure there essay. Do you have any examples of such?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Me and my friends did notes on the chapters. They are pretty detailed so I hope it's helpful. Missing chapter 5 though because I can't find the copy!
Reply 6
Wow! Thank you. You're a life saver
Have you guys got the answers to the exam style questions at the end of each section by any chance?
Hey.

just to check with some people from other schools, how much importance have your teachers placed on historical debate in essays?

Mine puts quite a bit of emphasis on it. Are your teachers the same?

Ps: if any of you don't have access to the 2013 paper, I can post the questions if you would like
Original post by HayaBukhari
Me and my friends did notes on the chapters. They are pretty detailed so I hope it's helpful. Missing chapter 5 though because I can't find the copy!

My my revision is pretty much going to be rewriting all of that
thx
Reply 10
Ive tried doing the revision activities in the book, its helped a lot
Reply 11
Yeah my teachers exactly the same, she's advised us that its best to start our essay with some historiography.
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Hey.

just to check with some people from other schools, how much importance have your teachers placed on historical debate in essays?

Ps: if any of you don't have access to the 2013 paper, I can post the questions if you would like

Please post them that would be great! Don't suppose you have the mark scheme / indicative content to go with it?

And my teacher said historiography isnt vital but it really helps - its the sort of thing to put in your intro or conclusion i think!
Original post by IllmaticDragon
Hey.

My teachers seem to think that a 'sense of debate' is more important than actually naming specific historians and their interpretations - that seems to be more of a nice extra.
For each essay you should add at least one or two quotes from historians to be on the safe side. My teacher put emphasis on it but not enough. If you read through examiner reports and mark schemes look at what the examiners are looking for in essays to get top marks.
Reply 15
Can anyone share some good historiography? The only one that sticks in my mind is 'flood-tide of radicalism' by Duffy about Edward :frown: absolutely dreading this exam. I hate history haha
Original post by annmcc
Can anyone share some good historiography? The only one that sticks in my mind is 'flood-tide of radicalism' by Duffy about Edward :frown: absolutely dreading this exam. I hate history haha

Off the top of my head:

Peter Lake - 'two-speed view' of the Elizabethan Church Settlement (i.e. Elizabeth though that it settled the religious question for good, others thought it was a first step towards later reform)

John Guy - the 1549 rebellions were 'the closest thing England ever came to a class war'

Eamon Duffy - Edward's 1547 injunctions were a 'charter for revolution'

Christopher Haigh - 'Mary swept to power by revolution'

Penry Williams - Mary's financial record was 'at least adequate'

A. F. Pollard - Mary's reign was 'sterile'

John Guy - Elizabeth's Privy Council was capable of 'cohesive decision making'

John Guy - the 1601 Parliament was the 'most fractious' of Elizabeth's reign

Susan Doran - 39 Articles were 'something of a hybrid'

John Bossy - the Throckmorton Plot was 'a fairly near thing'

Simon Adams - war broke out between England and Spain 'because Elizabeth and Philip both lost their nerve'

D. M. Palliser - England was 'relatively backward' with regards to trade

Hope this helps! There are loads scattered through the textbook as well :smile:
How are you guys revising for the exam?
Reply 18
Can someone give me an example of how you guys use historiography in your essays, my teacher doesn't focus much on historiography so I'm exactly sure how to include it in my essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stuckonchemistry
Please post them that would be great! Don't suppose you have the mark scheme / indicative content to go with it?

And my teacher said historiography isnt vital but it really helps - its the sort of thing to put in your intro or conclusion i think!

I found out that they have actually put all the jun 2013 stuff on the past papers website so I don't need to write it all up on here (thankfully)

thanks for for the historiography stuff. Consensus is that you just need some debate in there

Quick Reply

Latest