The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Adamk_14
Can someone give me an example of how you guys use historiography in your essays, my teacher doesn't focus much on historiography so I'm exactly sure how to include it in my essays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the way that my teacher made us do it would be like:

"the area of whether the religious settlement was seen as successful or not is an area of debate. Neale, a traditional historian, suggests Elizabeth saw the settlement as unfinished, a precursor to further reform. He also suggested the settlement was more Protestant than she had wanted, thanks to pressure in the Commons forum the 'Puritan choir'. However, the revised interpretation contradicts Neale's assessment on the settlement. Recent historians have suggested that Elizabeth and her ministers intended the settlement to be Protestant from the outset and anything that suggests otherwise was a ploy to get the settlement through the conservative House of Lords. Also, historians suggest that Elizabeth saw the settlement as final, rather than a precursor to further reform. This is supported by the fact that many religious controversies throughout the reign that attempted to gain further reforms, such as Puritanism or the Wentworths irritated Elizabeth so much. This all indicates that Elizabeth was satisfied with the religious settlement."

the he other way my teacher suggested was in the intro:
"...while Pollard went too far in saying Mary's reign was sterile, Loades was not entirely correct in saying there was great achievement during Mary's reign. However, there were enough achievements during Mary's reign to suggest that government was at it's most effective during the reign of Mary..."
(Did Loades actually say anything like that?)

Personally, I would only bring in historiography into the intro if it was a general thing I would refer to later in the essay to. e.g bring up that much of history on Mary was from the Protestant perspective.

Plus this if it is how you would use historiography or please respond if you have a different view/technique
Reply 21
Does anyone know how many points or how many paragraphs, you should do in your essay, in order to reach the higher levels?
HI guys, I'm just going through Somerset and Northumberland and I've noticed that the spec doesn't mention foreign policy in their reigns but on the teacher resource bank on the AQA site it talks about their foreign policy on the first page. I'm just curious are we suppose to learn it?
Original post by knighty437
HI guys, I'm just going through Somerset and Northumberland and I've noticed that the spec doesn't mention foreign policy in their reigns but on the teacher resource bank on the AQA site it talks about their foreign policy on the first page. I'm just curious are we suppose to learn it?

Yeah.

stuff like aomerset's expensive war with Scotland and Northumberland ending the war with France
Reply 24
Original post by IllmaticDragon
the way that my teacher made us do it would be like:

Plus this if it is how you would use historiography or please respond if you have a different view/technique

My technique our teacher taught us is completely different. In fact we barely used much historiography in or essays. Maybe at the beginning but not to your extent. This is honestly a surprise for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adamk_14
My technique our teacher taught us is completely different. In fact we barely used much historiography in or essays. Maybe at the beginning but not to your extent. This is honestly a surprise for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's only what my teacher taught us, so it might be wrong and your teacher might be right
Reply 26
Original post by iheartdjokovic
Off the top of my head:

Peter Lake - 'two-speed view' of the Elizabethan Church Settlement (i.e. Elizabeth though that it settled the religious question for good, others thought it was a first step towards later reform)

John Guy - the 1549 rebellions were 'the closest thing England ever came to a class war'

Eamon Duffy - Edward's 1547 injunctions were a 'charter for revolution'

Christopher Haigh - 'Mary swept to power by revolution'

Penry Williams - Mary's financial record was 'at least adequate'

A. F. Pollard - Mary's reign was 'sterile'

John Guy - Elizabeth's Privy Council was capable of 'cohesive decision making'

John Guy - the 1601 Parliament was the 'most fractious' of Elizabeth's reign

Susan Doran - 39 Articles were 'something of a hybrid'

John Bossy - the Throckmorton Plot was 'a fairly near thing'

Simon Adams - war broke out between England and Spain 'because Elizabeth and Philip both lost their nerve'

D. M. Palliser - England was 'relatively backward' with regards to trade

Hope this helps! There are loads scattered through the textbook as well :smile:

This was honestly so helpful! It definitely helped refresh my memory and gave me some new ones :biggrin: thank you!
Original post by annmcc
This was honestly so helpful! It definitely helped refresh my memory and gave me some new ones :biggrin: thank you!

You're welcome!
How do you guys show judgement in an essay?
Reply 29
How do you guys show judgement in an essay?

What do you mean by that. Like a mini conclusion after each paragraph summarising your point and opinion or just a conclusion at the end of your essay.
Reply 30
My teacher set us a timed essay for wednesday

'How successful was elizabeths religous policy, with reference to 1558-1603'

Do you agree?

What do you guys think?

Agree or disagree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by farah_1
My teacher set us a timed essay for wednesday

'How successful was elizabeths religous policy, with reference to 1558-1603'

Do you agree?

What do you guys think?

Agree or disagree

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would of thought fairly successful.

Only internal threat was the northern rebellion.
haigh said that survivalist Catholicism was diluted by conformity.

blah blah
Reply 32
I would of thought fairly successful.

Only internal threat was the northern rebellion.
haigh said that survivalist Catholicism was diluted by conformity.

blah blah

I agree but i think her success was due to time rather than anything else.

Plus i believe that she caused many of her own problems.
i.e.

Puritans opposition; which was created as an outcome of her religious settlement. puritans aimed to "purify" the church of England

The religious settlement caused confusion and many can view it was being only half reformed because parts of it was

Also, by not marrying or naming an heir her religious policy could never be secure. catholics could therefore cling on to the hope that she would died and be succeeded by a catholic

Some Catholics attempted to assassinate her (Throckmorton and Babington Plots), if they had succeeded it would have left the state in a sense of panic and crisis.

She had to involve herself in religious wars, on the side of protestants; for example in france and the spanish netherlands

She was excommunicated following the 1569 rebellions, which were motivated by religious grievances.

However she was successful because

The matter of religion was dealt with earlier on in her reign, and after that she refused to introduce any other changes.

Opposition from catholics, puritans, Presbyterians and separatist were dealt with; during the middle and last years of her reign there was a decline of opposition from catholics and protestant.

Her religious policies continued and lasted long after her reign (Unlike Henry, Edward or Mary)

Catholicism became a minority as many catholics conformed

It was the religious settlement that she wanted; she was the head of the church and the church remained under the control of the state. Also it reflected some of her beliefs; i.e. clergy marriage

please correct me if I'm wrong, religion is not my strongest area.
Reply 33
Original post by farah_1
I agree but i think her success was due to time rather than anything else.

Plus i believe that she caused many of her own problems.
i.e.

Puritans opposition; which was created as an outcome of her religious settlement. puritans aimed to "purify" the church of England

The religious settlement caused confusion and many can view it was being only half reformed because parts of it was

Also, by not marrying or naming an heir her religious policy could never be secure. catholics could therefore cling on to the hope that she would died and be succeeded by a catholic

Some Catholics attempted to assassinate her (Throckmorton and Babington Plots), if they had succeeded it would have left the state in a sense of panic and crisis.

She had to involve herself in religious wars, on the side of protestants; for example in france and the spanish netherlands

She was excommunicated following the 1569 rebellions, which were motivated by religious grievances.

However she was successful because

The matter of religion was dealt with earlier on in her reign, and after that she refused to introduce any other changes.

Opposition from catholics, puritans, Presbyterians and separatist were dealt with; during the middle and last years of her reign there was a decline of opposition from catholics and protestant.

Her religious policies continued and lasted long after her reign (Unlike Henry, Edward or Mary)

Catholicism became a minority as many catholics conformed

It was the religious settlement that she wanted; she was the head of the church and the church remained under the control of the state. Also it reflected some of her beliefs; i.e. clergy marriage

please correct me if I'm wrong, religion is not my strongest area.

Historiography : Religion

Susan Doran; ‘as soon as she was proclaimed queen, Elizabeth made it clear to her subjects that she intended to introduce a protestant church settlement.’

David Load; ‘however, Elizabeth lived long enough and pursed a sufficiently consistent policy, for the settlement of 1559 to take root and become generally perceived as “the face of an English court”

D. MacCulloch: the church was never defined in its indentity, neither protestant nor catholic

Puritans

Traditional view:

The traditional argument is that Puritanism was separatist and largely antagonistic to the church, taking up its battle positions in the House of Common.

J.E. Neale: they were a distinct Puritans grouping within the commons, indentified as the ‘Choir’; it pushed her further than she wanted.

Popular view

Historians frequently argued that Elizabeth’s reign saw the second phase of the protestant reformation a struggle between the established church and Puritanism (more radical form of Protestants)

Catholics

John Bossy: seminary preist and jesuits did much to ensure the survival of catholicism

Christopher Haigh: seminary priests and jesuits had little contribution

Does anyone know the traditional and revisionist views on elizabeths religious settlement, catholics or puritans
Original post by farah_1
Historiography : Religion

Does anyone know the traditional and revisionist views on elizabeths religious settlement, catholics or puritans

I know that for the settlement there is Neale who you already have.

he was then criticised by a number of revisionist historians who pointed out that Elizabeth had intended the 1559 settlement to be firmly Protestant from the outset, this view being supported by the fact that Elizabeth was irritated by the Puritans and Presbyterians who wanted further reform. Additionally, Elton has pointed out that Neale's 'Whig interpretation' of a 'Puritan choir is incorrect. Neale's suggested there were around 40 MP's who were able to cause trouble in Parliament, however Elton has suggested that the size and solidarity of this Puritan choir has been overstated. All this indicates there was no real substantial block to Elizabeth's policy

Catholics... There is the Haigh-Bossy debate about the effectiveness of the seminary priests and jesuits
Reply 35
I know that for the settlement there is Neale who you already have.

he was then criticised by a number of revisionist historians who pointed out that Elizabeth had intended the 1559 settlement to be firmly Protestant from the outset, this view being supported by the fact that Elizabeth was irritated by the Puritans and Presbyterians who wanted further reform. Additionally, Elton has pointed out that Neale's 'Whig interpretation' of a 'Puritan choir is incorrect. Neale's suggested there were around 40 MP's who were able to cause trouble in Parliament, however Elton has suggested that the size and solidarity of this Puritan choir has been overstated. All this indicates there was no real substantial block to Elizabeth's policy

Catholics... There is the Haigh-Bossy debate about the effectiveness of the seminary priests and jesuits

I've just come across this in my notes.

Neale interoperation WAS widely accepted

Neale argued that

Elizabeth was conscious of the dangerous international situation (with England still at war with France)

she therefore wanted to become head of the church and delay an significant changes in religious practise up until later in her reign.

This was however challenged by revisionist historians who claimed that

Elizabeth saw the settlement as final

Elizabeth and her minsters wanted to complete the religious settlement early on in her reign

Also they have claimed that the external pressure created by the war with France was much reduced.

Reply 36
Hey guys. I was wondering if you have any examples of 45 mark essays. I'm struggling to get beyond 30 in my essays. It would be great if you guys did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm hoping for a question on the rebellions!
School predictions anyone?
Reply 39
School predictions anyone?

My teacher predicts a question thats to do with the reign of Mary I and Elizabeth i.e comparing them. Since they changed the style of the mid-tudor question last year to involve the early years of elizabeths reign, its a strong possibility.

Also i highly doubt religion will come up since there has been a question on it for the past few years

Hopefully something on elizabeths minsters comes up :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending