The Student Room Group

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by MikeyLord
They were just pamphlets that were circulated weren't they?

ok thank you! :biggrin: someone just told me they got sent to parliament and talked about and I'd never heard of that before
Which historian said that there was "monarchical republicanism" in the way that ministers sometimes went behind the queen's back in her beat interest: e.g. The execution of Mary in 1587 or Robert Cecil's securing the succession?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 402
Original post by AltUser96
Which historian said that there was "monarchical republicanism" in the way that ministers sometimes went behind the queen's back in her beat interest: e.g. The execution of Mary in 1587 or Robert Cecil's securing the succession?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Collinson wrote an article called "the monarchial republic of queen Elizabeth" :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 403
Original post by nototter
I don't believe they were, I think they were just circulated locally from whichever press printed them. It was the 1572 Admonitions that went to Parliament.

thank you :biggrin:
Too excited, anyone unable to sleep because of the exam in <9 hours now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and standardisation had always been 70-80/120 ums for an A. That's around 30/45 marks to get that A - this should lift your spirits :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last minute stuff, has anyone got any historiography on Mary QOS? Best of luck everyone!!
Reply 407
Everyone good luck. You'll do well, just make sure you don't take a too narrative approach and you'll be fine.
Reply 408
Original post by LonelyPlanet
Oh and standardisation had always been 70-80/120 ums for an A. That's around 30/45 marks to get that A - this should lift your spirits :smile:

I thought it was usually around 70/90 raw marks for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
When can we discuss?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 410
Original post by Endless Blue
When can we discuss?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now preferably!
Think we can discuss now looking at the other threads.

How did everyone find it?

I did Q1 and Q2. Q1 was a dream, probably one of the best essays I've ever written. Q2 was going well until I realised it was just about domestic policies so had to cross out 3/4 of a page on foreign policy ffs.

So annoyed at myself for that although I still had three pages (conclusion just one sentence - ran out of time) so maybe I'll get away with it a bit because synoptic q requires less depth? Argh, might have thrown away the A* :frown:
Q1 was just a beauty
Can't believe they threw the curve ball of Spanish relations 3 years running. First thought opening the paper was how good it was, then I processed it and realised how high the grade boundaries Are going to be...

I did Q1 and Q2. Q1 was a dream, probably one of the best essays I've ever written. Q2 was going well until I realised it was just about domestic policies so had to cross out 3/4 of a page on foreign policy ffs.

So annoyed at myself for that although I still had three pages (conclusion just one sentence - ran out of time) so maybe I'll get away with it a bit because synoptic q requires less depth? Argh, might have thrown away the A* :frown:

I did 1 and 2 as well. Most other people in my college did 1 and 3, i only know 2 others who did 1 and 2! So happy with Q1! I started writing about foreign too -.- luckily i realised early! Hopefully combined with my coursework mark it will boost it up a bit!
Original post by csmith95
Can't believe they threw the curve ball of Spanish relations 3 years running. First thought opening the paper was how good it was, then I processed it and realised how high the grade boundaries Are going to be...

I did question 3 too. Pretty concerned about it

my structure was:
- Ways the English contributed
- Ways the Spanish comtributed
- Phillip actually attempted to alleviate the decline at some points (Elizabeth I less so)
- England overreacted to the threat posed. Phillip never actually sent armies in the plots.

So I decided that England was the main contributor to the decline in relations, as they overreacted.

My concern is that my first two paragraphs were far too narrative (just listing the events and ways that we can measure how much the other side were pissed by them). do you think this will hold me back in terms of marks?
Question 1 and 2 for me.
Was revising for rebellions last night so that was lucky, but ended up spending too long on it and had to pick randomly out of the remaining two questions. Was counting on France coming up given the last two years being on Spain, but Spain came up AGAIN! Did the synoptic question 2 in the space of half an hour, hopefully the first essay being alright will make up for the second essay...

I didnt do question two. I knew loads about the decline in the final years, parliament, faction rivalry, effectiveness of parliament etc. I was worried that given how vague the question was in terms what it asked for, I would not be answering correctly and I should have been bringing up policies only or something.

Q1 was pretty good and when I checked through I found the funniest mistake ever. I put that the 1549 prayer book changed service from English to Latin #studentroomhumour.

I tackled it pretty well I thought.
For Somerset I mentioned firstly how his religious reforms were a break with tradition. The rebellions had some religious motivations. Then I brought up that his social policy stuff was more important. Class antagonism + the religious reforms were relatively conservative.

For Northumberland I said that the stability despite the radical reform indicates possibly that religious reforms were not a large source of instability. Then went over the Devyce-anticipation for religious reform.

then for Mary the traditional vs revised. + the fact that it was the social problems she faced and political issues that were bigger sources of instability.

I'm glad that they put instability rather than 'rebellions' as it allowed for an easier answer
I was definitely surprised when Spain came up! Just goes to show you can't really predict what will come up
Did q1 and q2, question 1 was a beauty wish I could say the same about the other two

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending